PDA

View Full Version : Safer parking - Watauga Dam or Trailhead at TN 91 (Shady Valley)

Emerson Bigills
10-19-2015, 19:59
I plan to hike this section in the next couple weeks. Can go either direction. Going to leave my vehicle and get a ride to the other end, then hike back. Which is a safer trailhead to leave a vehicle? Thanks.

joshuasdad
10-19-2015, 21:49
I would think Watauga Dam, because of the security associated with it. The dam is also a long way to drive -- and only one way in and one way out -- just to mess with someone's car.

Lugnut
10-19-2015, 22:24
What he said.

Tennessee Viking
10-20-2015, 08:12
I used to walk and help maintain that area all the time. I would have said the TN 91 trailhead lot. But within the last year or so, there has been some vandalism at 91.

It depends on where you park at Watauga Lake. US321/Shook Branch trailhead, I would not advise parking there. Known vandalism spot.

The parking at Wilbur Dam Road has no bad history but its only a couple spaces. And with the start of hunting season, hunters tend to take them up fast each morning. Hikers have utilized the boat ramp parking area but its a good walk from the trailhead and down hill from the road.

On the hike itself, if you walk south from TN 91 to Wilbur Dam Rd, you can probably get it done in one long day hike.

Emerson Bigills
10-20-2015, 19:39
Thanks, all.