PDA

View Full Version : Yet another cold weather tent question

Just Tom
10-20-2015, 09:55
I'm on the hunt for a decent cold-weather tent for southern New England. I'm not looking for a mountaineering tent, just something a bit more suitable to the cold and frozen ground than my 2 pound trekking pole tent. I have been considering a TT Moment DW with the liner and crossing pole, and that is not out of the question. But at around $400 configured as such and shipped, I'm considering something a bit more affordable.

Ideally I'd like:

Freestanding (I stake everything, but I've found battling stakes with frozen-solid ground or setting up snow anchors to be easier after the shelter is up).
Solid inner body, very little mesh (and these days every tent out there seems to be almost all mesh to keep the weight down) *** this seems to be the hardest issue to solve ***
Something with decent venting (my old freestanding tent had no vent at all)
1 person or 2 if it is a small 2
Won't collapse under a light snow load (I can always get up and knock snow off)
Long enough for Long sized sleeping bag
Under 4 pounds and decently packable (I don't generally backpack long miles in the winter, typically just treks with the scouts. Still, lighter the better)
Under $300 (and I'd be happy being wayyy under that, but I am not opposed to paying a bit more something of quality)

I ran across the BA Fairview at $130 that looked promising, but it is too short. (I even considered a BA Slater 1 since it has no mesh and is big enough for me, but I am concerned about its durability under some snow and wind).

Any suggestions welcome.

donthaveoneyet
10-20-2015, 10:26
I have a North Face Slickrock (no longer made) that I've had for many years that meets this need for me. But it's getting old and I've been looking around for a replacement. At the top of my list right now is the Black Diamond Firstlight. I haven't ever used one so I can't give you first hand experience, just thought I'd mention it.

Sarcasm the elf
10-20-2015, 10:34
I do not have anything that fits your requirements, however I thought I would share my solution:

When it comes down to it, I usually either get by with my TT double rainbow, or for serious trips borrow my buddy's mountaineering tent.

For trips in conditions that fall in between those two options I use a ~5.5lb two person Eureka tent that I found at Dicks on sale for about $100, because honestly I'm wasn't going to spend hundreds of dollars for a tent that only sees a few nights use per year and a couple of extra pounds in my winter pack isn't that big a deal to me. (I think the newer version they sell is lighter as well)

The tent is bombproof, has two aluminum poles that cris-cross in the middle so it can handle a good snow-load. While it does have bug netting, the bathtubfloor is high and the rainfly overlaps it by several inches and I have never had a problem with drifting snow. The inner tent also has one solid wall so that when you set it up you place this wall toward the direction that the wind is blowing. I wouldn't use it in New Hampshire during the winter, but it is great for short trips in CT/MA/Southern NY.

If you plan to be out a lot, then a specialized tent may be a good investment, if you are only going to be out a couple times each winter and only hiking a few miles on each trip, then ask yourself if you really want to spend that extra money or if you can put up with a couple of extra pounds instead.

HooKooDooKu
10-20-2015, 12:44
While a bit on the heavy side, Sierra Trading Post has the Vaude Odyssee Tent (with Footprint) on clearance (~$200).
I personally don't know much about this tent, but the one reviewer calls it a "1-man mountaineering tent on a budget"... giving it two stars due to being too narrow for two men with large side sleeping pads.

This item is listed as a 'Clearance', so Sierra Trading Post coupons won't lower the price any more... but coupon code ES102215A currently includes free shipping (a $16 'value').

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/vaude-odyssee-tent-with-footprint-2-person-3-season~p~8315w/

Just Tom
10-20-2015, 17:19
I do not have anything that fits your requirements, however I thought I would share my solution:

When it comes down to it, I usually either get by with my TT double rainbow, or for serious trips borrow my buddy's mountaineering tent.

For trips in conditions that fall in between those two options I use a ~5.5lb two person Eureka tent that I found at Dicks on sale for about $100, because honestly I'm wasn't going to spend hundreds of dollars for a tent that only sees a few nights use per year and a couple of extra pounds in my winter pack isn't that big a deal to me. (I think the newer version they sell is lighter as well)

The tent is bombproof, has two aluminum poles that cris-cross in the middle so it can handle a good snow-load. While it does have bug netting, the bathtubfloor is high and the rainfly overlaps it by several inches and I have never had a problem with drifting snow. The inner tent also has one solid wall so that when you set it up you place this wall toward the direction that the wind is blowing. I wouldn't use it in New Hampshire during the winter, but it is great for short trips in CT/MA/Southern NY.

If you plan to be out a lot, then a specialized tent may be a good investment, if you are only going to be out a couple times each winter and only hiking a few miles on each trip, then ask yourself if you really want to spend that extra money or if you can put up with a couple of extra pounds instead.

That is good, practical advice, just hard to wrap my brain around carrying a heavy tent when I've worked so hard moving away from that direction :) I'll look again and try to expand my search a bit.

While a bit on the heavy side, Sierra Trading Post has the Vaude Odyssee Tent (with Footprint) on clearance (~$200).
I personally don't know much about this tent, but the one reviewer calls it a "1-man mountaineering tent on a budget"... giving it two stars due to being too narrow for two men with large side sleeping pads.

This item is listed as a 'Clearance', so Sierra Trading Post coupons won't lower the price any more... but coupon code ES102215A currently includes free shipping (a $16 'value').

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/vaude-odyssee-tent-with-footprint-2-person-3-season~p~8315w/

That tent is certainly a tank at approx 7 1/2 pounds! It definitely looks like a mountaineering tent though!

Venchka
10-20-2015, 18:18
Another Kevin uses a TarpTent Notch with solid inner tent in New York with snow on the ground. Ask him if it works.
I don't know how much they cost or weigh, but the Eureka Timberline must do something right. They have been around since forever and have been used everywhere.

Wayne

Just Tom
10-20-2015, 20:12
Speaking of Eureka, I ran across this beasty:

http://www.backcountry.com/eureka-down-range-solo-tent-1-person-3-season

It has a third crossing pole that goes from vestibule to vestibule. 5 1/2 ponds for a solo tent.

I'm a bit concerned about the vestibule floor in this design, seems like it could collect water.

Kaptainkriz
10-20-2015, 20:22
North Face Talus 2? http://www.rei.com/product/864016/the-north-face-talus-2-tent

Hoop
10-20-2015, 22:03
Black Diamond Lighthouse fits your specs; might be fiscontinued, tho. Check their other ones.

Franco
10-21-2015, 00:17
The Lighthouse was discontinued a few years ago.
The new version is the Hilight (a bit smaller)

winger
10-21-2015, 10:10
Although a bit over your budget, and I'm surprised Franco didn't mention it, but I've used it in blizzard conditions and its 100% reliable, freestanding with the crossing poles, is my go to winter tent: http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html

Just Tom
10-21-2015, 10:29
I use a ProTrail as my fair-weather tent, so I do like TarpTent. At the high end of my consideration, I was considering the Moment with the liner and crossing pole instead since I really don't expect to actually camp put in a blizzard :) Scarp is even a little more spendy than the Moment, and I like the ability to setup directly into freestanding mode and then afterward fiddle with the stakes in the notoriously snow-free-but-frozen-solid landscape I get in this area in the winter.

Franco
10-21-2015, 16:29
Just Tom,
The original Moment had an optional liner, a sheet of breathable fabric that covered the roof area and a bit of the non door side too.
The current version is a two wall shelter with the option of getting a mesh or fabric inner.
Most of the photos on the product page show the mesh inner but the second one has that white solid inner.
Sets up fly and inner together but you can take down the inner and pack that up separately if you want too.
franco@tarptent
my Moment :
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Moment/Scarp%20and%20Moment_zpsoxtebwl6.jpg

Venchka
10-21-2015, 17:16
Franco,
That scene looks wonderful. I'll find a place like that one of these days. A perfect for my Garuda Atman tent.
Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Viper2016
10-21-2015, 17:32
Just Tom
Eureka Timberline may be slightly heavier than your limits but did serve me well in a couple of snowed in Colorado. I also think they made a backpack version that was an A frame front with y the ridge line to the ground in the back. Can't remember what they called it or if it's still made, but the original 2 man was relatively bombproof.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Venchka
10-21-2015, 20:41
2 votes for looking at the Timberline.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

nsherry61
10-21-2015, 21:18
Long, light, no inner mesh walls . . . I'd look again at the BA Slater UL+ series. If well staked out, I would expect it to hold up fine, in everything except significant winter storm conditions, which you suggested you planned on avoiding anyway.

PackHorse
10-21-2015, 21:45
Last fall I was lucky enough to find my "winter tent" at an estate sale. It is an Early Winters brand 2 person tube tent ( I think that is what it is called). I did some research at the time and they were saying the company was first to use the new fabric "gortex"! Lol It has screening and doors at each end and stake out points along both sides for extreme weather. I didn't know what I had bought until I got it home. It was made in the early 80's and sold for around $400, I paid $4 or $6, can't remember, but looks like new. I refitted it with the new high tech cording to cut weight and it currently weighs a little over 5 lbs with footprint and extra stuff sacks for poles etc.

Franco
10-21-2015, 22:52
"It is an Early Winters brand 2 person tube tent ( I think that is what it is called)."

Early Winter Winterlight (tunnel tent)