PDA

View Full Version : German Shepard attack dog. Tsunami, my best friend.

Wooobie
10-20-2015, 20:03
I will be bringing my German Shepard with me for my NOBO in 2016. i suggest you bring a gun, shoot first and ask questions later. I am in no way in control of this vicious beast.

He will be off leash and terrorizing neighboring camps.

Your best course of action if you do not bring a gun would be to play dead, i urge you no matter what you do don't run.

I will be pushing Tsunami well beyond his limits, he will be on his own to hunt whatever sustenance he is able. i would hang your food bags quick upon arrival to any shelter/camp. Actually, you should probably just leave that food out or else he might turn on you.

Ive been supplementing his diet with children around my hometown to get him used to digesting human.

OH! Climbing a tree would be a good idea if you encounter Tsunami. Just wait for my arrival and i will get him calmed downish.

Happy season everyone! I hope to see you out there, Trust me you are going to want to see me before he sees you.

j/k

But for real though, me and my beautiful black lab Lolah Faye will be traveling north in march. On leash and just being the majestic creature she is. We both look forward to meeting everyone.32395

chrisj1567
10-20-2015, 20:38
pretty dog

bigcranky
10-20-2015, 20:47
It's funny, except I've met Tsunami on the trail more than once. :(

Wooobie
10-20-2015, 20:51
Yeah bigcranky, the general feel i get from whiteblaze is that dogs are frowned upon in most cases. a lotta leave your dog home comments and the like. Disappointing some owners have ruined it for the rest of us..

Not that someone elses feelings would stop me from doing anything.

Sarcasm the elf
10-20-2015, 21:19
Yeah bigcranky, the general feel i get from whiteblaze is that dogs are frowned upon in most cases. a lotta leave your dog home comments and the like. Disappointing some owners have ruined it for the rest of us..

There seem to be a lot of dog haters on the internet, but there are far fewer of them actually out on the trail. I also hike with a friendly, well cared for leashed dog and most people either don't mind or enjoy meeting us. Often times long distance hikers linger with us so that they can hang out with the dogs, usually telling us about their dogs back home and how much they miss them. Don't be surprised if your lab becomes a favorite among some of the other hikers.

gypsy97
10-20-2015, 21:20
Sounds like a big pussycat to me! Years ago I had my ferocious black lab with me. Whenever we stayed in a shelter there was zero mouse activity, and I figured the mice had gotten advance word. Hope it works for you.

Wooobie
10-20-2015, 21:25
Good to hear Elf! I just recently hiked the Colorado Trail and kicked myself the whole time for not bringing Lolah. I will not make the same mistake.

MuddyWaters
10-20-2015, 21:54

While theres a few that just dont like dogs, theres a whole lot more that dont like irresponsible owners that allow a poorly trained dog to impact others. Just like at home around town, a well trained dog is a joy, a poorly trained one is just a nusiance. Just like children btw.

Slo-go'en
10-20-2015, 21:58
[QUOTE=Wooobie;2013202
Not that someone elses feelings would stop me from doing anything.[/QUOTE]

This is one of several reasons I'm unlikely to ever do the southern AT again during the prime, spring season. Oh Well, there are other places to explore...

squeezebox
10-20-2015, 22:02
I don't have a problem with a well behaved dog. And I think most hikers agree. If people wouldn't bring a dog like tsunami and then think I should be okay with knocked over food and a peed on sleeping bag there would be no problem.
I hope I get to meet your friend on the trail.

Wooobie
10-20-2015, 22:35
I don't have a problem with a well behaved dog. And I think most hikers agree. If people wouldn't bring a dog like tsunami and then think I should be okay with knocked over food and a peed on sleeping bag there would be no problem.
I hope I get to meet your friend on the trail.

There are only bad owners.

This is one of several reasons I'm unlikely to ever do the southern AT again during the prime, spring season. Oh Well, there are other places to explore...

Enjoy :) there are many great places! I would definitely suggest the Colorado Trail.

Vegan Packer
10-20-2015, 23:04
The more good owners out there that there are, the better it will be. I consider my little buddy to be an ambassador of good will on the trail.

Wil
10-20-2015, 23:11
He will be off leash and terrorizingI'll be fine. I'm sure you'll keep assuring me "he doesn't bite" and "he's really a very friendly dog" as he slinks around me trying to get at my hamstrings from behind. My trail experience is greatly enhanced by incidents like this.

bigcranky
10-21-2015, 07:05
I'll be fine. I'm sure you'll keep assuring me "he doesn't bite" and "he's really a very friendly dog" as he slinks around me trying to get at my hamstrings from behind. My trail experience is greatly enhanced by incidents like this.

Followed by, "He's never done anything like that before!" :(

adamkrz
10-21-2015, 07:39
Take good care of her, Dogs are the best.

Studlintsean
10-21-2015, 08:08
Good luck. I enjoy hiking with my dog but he is past his prime now so he is limited to quick overnights. Also want to point out that I have met many "non attack" German Shepherds and owned a lab that bit many people. Don't let the breed (in general not just labs- I love labs) full you. I'm only giving you flack (in what I hope is a friendly way) because I own a Pit Bull and a board member of a local Pit Bill rescue so I have seen stereotypes all too often.

Studlintsean
10-21-2015, 08:09
* fool for the grammar folks.

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2015, 08:30
Good luck. I enjoy hiking with my dog but he is past his prime now so he is limited to quick overnights. Also want to point out that I have met many "non attack" German Shepherds and owned a lab that bit many people. Don't let the breed (in general not just labs- I love labs) full you. I'm only giving you flack (in what I hope is a friendly way) because I own a Pit Bull and a board member of a local Pit Bill rescue so I have seen stereotypes all too often.

Pitbulls are dangerous, the trick to staying safe is knowing how to identify them:

32404s

:banana

kibs
10-21-2015, 09:12
Never met a black lab I didn't like. As far as German Shephards- Love them all. I too can appreciate taking a dog on the AT. I just don't want the responsibility of making sure my dog behaves & does not get injured or sick. I'll have a hard enough time just looking out for myself!!!
Hope to see you & Lolah on the trail.

Ladytrekker
10-21-2015, 09:33
There is a really good Facebook forum "Hiking with Dogs". Beautiful dogs hiking with their peeps all over the world have really enjoyed following it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Studlintsean
10-21-2015, 09:44
Pitbulls are dangerous, the trick to staying safe is knowing how to identify them:

32404s

Haha yea I have seen this one. I hope I didn't offend anyone. Glad you could make a joke out of it. Carry on...

illabelle
10-21-2015, 09:49

32404s

Gosh, where is that "share" button!

Rain Man
10-21-2015, 11:51
I love dogs, have three, and have taken one on several backpacking trips with me (after clearing it with any hiking companions). I agree with those who say there are few bad dogs, but too many bad dog owners, ... who often have this attitude--

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2015, 12:03
I love dogs, have three, and have taken one on several backpacking trips with me (after clearing it with any hiking companions). I agree with those who say there are few bad dogs, but too many bad dog owners, ... who often have this attitude--

Based on his earlier comments I believe what he meant was that he was already doing everything responsibly, caring for his dog, keeping it on leash, making sure it isn't bothering people etc. If he was doing everything right and someone still had a problem with his dog's presence on the trail, than that's their problem, not his.

Wooobie
10-21-2015, 12:12
Based on his earlier comments I believe what he meant was that he was he was already doing everything responsibly, caring for his dog, keeping it on leash etc. If he was doing everything right and someone still had a problem with his dog's presence on the trail, than that's their problem, not his.

You are correct sir.

There is a really good Facebook forum "Hiking with Dogs". Beautiful dogs hiking with their peeps all over the world have really enjoyed following it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you !! i just joined the group.

Pringles
10-21-2015, 13:37
Lolah is beautiful. And thank you for keeping her on a leash. :-)

Pringles

burger
10-21-2015, 14:46
Since there seem to be a lot of responsible sounding dog owners here, let me give you a piece of advice: it's great (fantastic, really) when you keep your dog on a leash. But it is still your responsibility to keep your dog away from me when I'm hiking by. I can't even count how many times on trail I've been slobbered on by dogs or had them put their muddy paws on me or my gear.

Keeping your dog on a leash is only half the battle--it's your responsibility to keep your dog from making unwanted contact with anyone. I wouldn't come up and slobber on your or wipe my feet on your pants legs. Don't let your dog do the same to me.

Vegan Packer
10-21-2015, 14:56
Don't let the breed (in general not just labs- I love labs) full you. I'm only giving you flack (in what I hope is a friendly way) because I own a Pit Bull and a board member of a local Pit Bill rescue so I have seen stereotypes all too often.

Petey from what was originally Our Gang, later known as The Little Rascles, was a Pit Bull.

Wil
10-21-2015, 15:51
Followed by, "He's never done anything like that before!" :(LOL !!!

Always reminds me of the Customer Service Rep when you call about a huge bug in a piece of electronic gear that makes it basically inoperable: "Gee, no one has ever reported that kind of problem before."

I love dogs, like in friends/relatives houses all domestic and cute and under control. Otherwise I am uncomfortable around them and I suspect they sense that and it arouses hard-wired hostility/attack mechanisms. Eventually I am going to have to kill or injure one these dogs with my pole tip and it is going to be a very sad day. Probably sadder than the days I have followed bloody paw prints across the rocks or snow and wished the owners could be jailed. Or the day I helped lower a huge badly injured dog down from a ridge years ago and later heard he had died (likely from the ropes we had to use as best we could). Or the day the caretaker told me he doesn't drink from the spring at his site any more because he's seen what the dogs are leaving behind in the drainage above.

MuddyWaters
10-21-2015, 15:55
double post

MuddyWaters
10-21-2015, 15:57
A friend of mines dog, who was great with people, ;freaked out on trail in the sierra. Dog DID NOT like hiking poles, sunglasses, and big hats. It became very protective and agitated, snapping at strangers and ripped one hikers shorts when it bit him for no reason, but approaching on trail. To befriend it you had to remove hat and sunglasses.

Test runs are good with big dogs.

Wooobie
10-21-2015, 18:34
Since there seem to be a lot of responsible sounding dog owners here, let me give you a piece of advice: it's great (fantastic, really) when you keep your dog on a leash. But it is still your responsibility to keep your dog away from me when I'm hiking by. I can't even count how many times on trail I've been slobbered on by dogs or had them put their muddy paws on me or my gear.

Keeping your dog on a leash is only half the battle--it's your responsibility to keep your dog from making unwanted contact with anyone. I wouldn't come up and slobber on your or wipe my feet on your pants legs. Don't let your dog do the same to me.

I would in turn, advise you to announce yourself upon sight of me an my animal. Then ask for permission to pass.

burger
10-21-2015, 18:46
I would in turn, advise you to announce yourself upon sight of me an my animal. Then ask for permission to pass.
Okay, sure. I'm the one in the wrong, Not the person failing to keep their dog under control.

Attitudes like this is why so many people on this site, and on the trail, dislike dogs on the trail. If you're going to bring a potentially dangerous animal on the trail with you, it's your ****ing responsibility to keep it under control at all time, look out for potential problems (like other hikers), and take necessary precautions.

According to your logic, if someone runs a red light and hits a car that had a green, it's the second guys fault for not announcing his presence ahead of time (perhaps with a loud blast of his horn) and then waiting for the stopped traffic to wave him across.

Oy, some people.

Traveler
10-21-2015, 18:53
A friend of mines dog, who was great with people, ;freaked out on trail in the sierra. Dog DID NOT like hiking poles, sunglasses, and big hats. It became very protective and agitated, snapping at strangers and ripped one hikers shorts when it bit him for no reason, but approaching on trail. To befriend it you had to remove hat and sunglasses.

Test runs are good with big dogs.

+1 on this! Its not at all uncommon for the family dog to behave differently in the woods, especially in protective mode when someone is coming the other way, moving fast. A test trip is a great idea and will prepare the owner for any unexpected reactions to other people.

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2015, 18:57

Announce yourself so that other hikers don't surprise us and so that my dog and I have time to step off trail? Sure

Ask permission to pass? Huh?

When we pass people I put myself between my dog and the other hiker and either step off trail or pass on a short leash. If people want to pet my dog I expect them to ask permission first, but there should be no reason that they have to ask before passing by.

Wooobie
10-21-2015, 19:10
Announce yourself so that other hikers don't surprise us and so that my dog and I have time to step off trail? Sure

Ask permission to pass? Huh?

When we pass people I put myself between my dog and the other hiker and either step off trail or pass on a short leash. If people want to pet my dog I expect them to ask permission first, but there should be no reason that they have to ask before passing by.

you took that way farther than it needed to go.

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2015, 19:19
you took that way farther than it needed to go.

Nope, I described exactly what I do.

Wooobie
10-21-2015, 19:27
[QUOTE=Sarcasm the elf;2013431]Nope, I described exactly what I do.[/Q
nevermind

Wil
10-21-2015, 19:46
Attitudes like this is why so many people on this site, and on the trail, dislike dogs on the trail.I'm fairly certain he was trying to be funny.

burger
10-21-2015, 20:03
I'm fairly certain he was trying to be funny.
I might have laughed if I hadn't been bitten by an on-leash dog a few months ago. The big ugly scar I'm going to have the rest of my life dampens my sense of humor on this issue. Also, even if he was joking, his comment reflects the views of many, many dog owners I've run across.

Wooobie
10-21-2015, 20:08
Okay, sure. I'm the one in the wrong, Not the person failing to keep their dog under control.

Attitudes like this is why so many people on this site, and on the trail, dislike dogs on the trail. If you're going to bring a potentially dangerous animal on the trail with you, it's your ****ing responsibility to keep it under control at all time, look out for potential problems (like other hikers), and take necessary precautions.

According to your logic, if someone runs a red light and hits a car that had a green, it's the second guys fault for not announcing his presence ahead of time (perhaps with a loud blast of his horn) and then waiting for the stopped traffic to wave him across.

Oy, some people.

this is a pretty sensitive forum.

Let me make my intentions perfectly clear. I intend to bring my 6 year old black lab Lolah along for my AT thruhike. I intend on taking proper precautions with her as we travel north. I will be considerate of those around me and use proper trail etiquette.

You are right, it is my ****ing responsibility. I was simply returning unwanted advice.

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2015, 20:20
[QUOTE=Sarcasm the elf;2013431]Nope, I described exactly what I do.[/Q
nevermind

Just so you understand, I'm the sort of person that tends to yield the trail out of courtesy whether or not I have a dog with me...well I say it's courtesy, but really I almost always welcome an excuse for a quick break :D

As for putting myself between my dog and other hikers, this isn't something that I do for the other hiker, I do it for my dog. Most hikers are great, but just like any group of people a small percentage of them are idiots. Over the years I've had enough incidents of people running up to my dog, getting in her face, touching her when she wasn't expecting it, feeding he r crap without asking me and (mostly kids) pulling on her long facial hair that I have realized the easiest way to prevent that is just to keep between them until they have at least said hello to me and I've spent a second sizing them up. It's really much easier to do on the trail than it is to describe on a message board, so you might have to trust me that it works for me.

Wooobie
10-21-2015, 20:25
[QUOTE=Wooobie;2013432]

Just so you understand, I'm the sort of person that tends to yield the trail out of courtesy whether or not I have a dog with me...well I say it's courtesy, but really I almost always welcome an excuse for a quick break :D

As for putting myself between my dog and other hikers, this isn't something that I do for the other hiker, I do it for my dog. Most hikers are great, but just like any group of people a small percentage of them are idiots. Over the years I've had enough incidents of people running up to my dog, getting in her face, touching her when she wasn't expecting it, feeding he r crap without asking me and (mostly kids) pulling on her long facial hair that I have realized the easiest way to prevent that is just to keep between them until they have at least said hello to me and I've spent a second sizing them up. It's really much easier to do on the trail than it is to describe on a message board, so you might have to trust me that it works for me.

I am the same way, i am definitely more weary of people while i have Lolah with me. Unfortunate owners have generated such animosity on this forum. Honestly i regret my decision to read other hikers thoughts on dogs. Luckily for me i wont be breaking any rules while hiking. Lolah and i will both be enjoying our NOBO, i hope to meet hikers such as yourself while on the move.

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2015, 20:42
[QUOTE=Sarcasm the elf;2013443]

I am the same way, i am definitely more weary of people while i have Lolah with me. Unfortunate owners have generated such animosity on this forum. Honestly i regret my decision to read other hikers thoughts on dogs. Luckily for me i wont be breaking any rules while hiking. Lolah and i will both be enjoying our NOBO, i hope to meet hikers such as yourself while on the move.

Unfortunately this hiking with dogs sub-forum which was setup for dog owners to help eachother is more often used by non-dog owners to vent, I think the constant whining is why a lot of people who hike with dogs don't bother posting in here any more.

Most of the gripes that people complain about are legitimate, unfortunately those who are venting here don't seem to understand that people who come to this forum are here because they want to do things the right way. Odds are that the clueless family who are bringing untrained unleashed fido on their big adventure, or the nutjob with Tsunami the Killer shepherd :eek: who are causing problems on the trail probably didn't stop in for advice before starting their hike. The only thing that the anti-dog venting accomplishes is to give new members the false impression that Whiteblaze is full of jerks.

Wooobie
10-21-2015, 20:45
[QUOTE=Wooobie;2013445]

Unfortunately this hiking with dogs sub-forum which was setup for dog owners to help eachother is more often used by non-dog owners to vent, I think the constant whining is why a lot of people who hike with dogs don't bother posting in here any more.

Most of the gripes that people complain about are legitimate, unfortunately those who are venting here don't seem to understand that people who come to this forum are here because they want to do things the right way. Odds are that the clueless family who are bringing untrained unleashed fido on their big adventure, or the nutjob with Tsunami the Killer shepherd :eek: who are causing problems on the trail probably didn't stop in for advice before starting their hike. The only thing that the anti-dog venting accomplishes is to give new members the false impression that Whiteblaze is full of jerks.

i agree with everything you said. It is unfortunate because i was looking for a good way to talk to other thruhikers while not on the trail. My first impressions of WB are not very good.

adamkrz
10-21-2015, 21:07
[QUOTE=Sarcasm the elf;2013454]

i agree with everything you said. It is unfortunate because i was looking for a good way to talk to other thruhikers while not on the trail. My first impressions of WB are not very good.

Don't let this forum discourage you - I've been on the trail with dogs since the early 80's and 99.9. percent of the time it's been great - I have a English black lab hiking dog now and wouldn't go without him - just not in hot weather for him.

My dog does not need a leash and would never bother any hiker unless you offer him a biscuit. Sarcasm the elf has the best advice here.

Over the years many of my hiking friends either stopped backpacking or when they come they are stuck to their smartphones - I much prefer my dog's company.

Wooobie
10-21-2015, 21:32
[QUOTE=Wooobie;2013456]

Don't let this forum discourage you - I've been on the trail with dogs since the early 80's and 99.9. percent of the time it's been great - I have a English black lab hiking dog now and wouldn't go without him - just not in hot weather for him.

My dog does not need a leash and would never bother any hiker unless you offer him a biscuit. Sarcasm the elf has the best advice here.

Over the years many of my hiking friends either stopped backpacking or when they come they are stuck to their smartphones - I much prefer my dog's company.

I will not be discouraged from my thruhike, no worries there. I guess after hiking the CT this summer and meeting a amazing thru hiker community, i expected less of what is here haha.

squeezebox
10-21-2015, 22:37
As has been said it's the bad owners that's the big problem. The person who claims their dog is well behaved right after it pees on your gear. and is so stupid that they honestly believe what they just said. And if you are a person that hates or is afraid of all dogs Get a life, get a therapist.
It raises serious doubts with me when I hear someone say their dog doesn't need a leash. My son's dog, that I mostly take of, calms down a lot when on leash. looks up at me for permission when on leash and such. I hang out a fair amount at the local dog park, so I know dozens of dogs, but there is not a single one that I would trust on a long hike. particularly off leash. Ana is on leash anytime she is not at home or in the dog park, never an exception. She has proved she is not trustworthy.

Slo-go'en
10-21-2015, 22:48
[QUOTE=adamkrz;2013457]

I will not be discouraged from my thruhike, no worries there. I guess after hiking the CT this summer and meeting a amazing thru hiker community, i expected less of what is here haha.

Did your Lab also go on the CT hike? Or will this AT hike be her first long distance hiking experience? Does she have any hiking/camping experience?

If you want to avoid snap judgements, some back story is required - and a less attention grabbing thread tile.

Wooobie
10-22-2015, 00:12
[QUOTE=Wooobie;2013465]

Did your Lab also go on the CT hike? Or will this AT hike be her first long distance hiking experience? Does she have any hiking/camping experience?

If you want to avoid snap judgements, some back story is required - and a less attention grabbing thread tile.

She was unable to go on the CT, she was having some health issues and i was worried it would be a problem. She does hike/camp with me. I take her to a lake nearby that has a 6 mile trail, it isnt much but it is good for training and such. I am worried about how she will hold up on something this aggressive though. She has done some 4-7 day trips.

Slo-go'en
10-22-2015, 00:42
Six year old Lab with a history of unspecified health issues. I have my doubts about the ability of a Lab to complete a thru hike with out any age or health issues to start with. Big dogs don't fair well on the AT for the long haul. Fontana Dam will be the first big decision time. That's when you'll have to decide whether to kennel, shuttle or go home. Quite a few end their hike there.

Wooobie
10-22-2015, 00:51
Six year old Lab with a history of unspecified health issues. I have my doubts about the ability of a Lab to complete a thru hike with out any age or health issues to start with. Big dogs don't fair well on the AT for the long haul. Fontana Dam will be the first big decision time. That's when you'll have to decide whether to kennel, shuttle or go home. Quite a few end their hike there.

Im going to take her as far as she wants to go then i will have someone fly out and pick her up. I do hope she makes it, i dont have a timeline so im able to take as many zeros as it takes.

MuddyWaters
10-22-2015, 01:32
Many people enjoy hiking with dogs. On reasonably short intermittent hikes its a great thing imo, as long as dog doesnt bother others.

But....a typical thru hike pace can do permanent damage to a dog, especially larger breeds. It is something to consider.

Wil
10-22-2015, 01:46
a typical thru hike pace can do permanent damage to a dog, especially larger breeds. It is something to consider.The dog will push itself half to death rather than let its master down. I've see asshats try to do it to their kids but the kids won't take that crap.

saltysack
10-22-2015, 09:35
Good to hear Elf! I just recently hiked the Colorado Trail and kicked myself the whole time for not bringing Lolah. I will not make the same mistake.

Planning on hiking a week or two section on CT this Aug. planning to take my hiking buddy. Any tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
10-22-2015, 09:44
I will be bringing my German Shepard with me for my NOBO in 2016. i suggest you bring a gun, shoot first and ask questions later. I am in no way in control of this vicious beast.

He will be off leash and terrorizing neighboring camps.

Your best course of action if you do not bring a gun would be to play dead, i urge you no matter what you do don't run.

I will be pushing Tsunami well beyond his limits, he will be on his own to hunt whatever sustenance he is able. i would hang your food bags quick upon arrival to any shelter/camp. Actually, you should probably just leave that food out or else he might turn on you.

Ive been supplementing his diet with children around my hometown to get him used to digesting human.

OH! Climbing a tree would be a good idea if you encounter Tsunami. Just wait for my arrival and i will get him calmed downish.

Happy season everyone! I hope to see you out there, Trust me you are going to want to see me before he sees you.

j/k

But for real though, me and my beautiful black lab Lolah Faye will be traveling north in march. On leash and just being the majestic creature she is. We both look forward to meeting everyone.32395

Gotta love labs...I've had several over the years...my brother is a paraplegic has a awesome dog who is getting trained as his service dog...actually both my brothers have labs currently I opted for a jrt as easier to clean up after in a small yard....
IMG_8473.JPG
This is a pic of his couch after dog got mad he didn't go to work with him!!
IMG_1689.JPG
IMG_8315.JPG

saltysack
10-22-2015, 09:48
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/22/d4eee2a4c4435fccaf79ca4375eef16f.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/22/ff8cd3ac4fdd8cf66f1e5fe5fd206670.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/22/3fcd733bebec6fdcdf55775bc3f0a1df.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/22/767b70a3b1b52ebc37627aabc423d58d.jpg

Rain Man
10-22-2015, 11:19
This is a pic of his couch after dog got mad he didn't go to work with him!!

Just imagine if he did that to some hiker's sleeping bag. Or, if any hikers had reason to believe he might. (such as he already did it to a couch)

saltysack
10-22-2015, 11:23
Just imagine if he did that to some hiker's sleeping bag. Or, if any hikers had reason to believe he might. (such as he already did it to a couch)

Haaa I can see the down flying through the air! Mine actually has his own down bag...a $20 pack able down vest I sewed up waist and arm holes..he's down friendly[emoji12]

Kookork
10-22-2015, 11:58

A dog vents his frustration on a couch because he is bored. You don't find a bored dog on a trail though.

Slo-go'en
10-22-2015, 13:43
I want to know what that cat is attacking in mid air....

WingedMonkey
10-22-2015, 14:26
All the dog owners on Whiteblaze leash their dogs.

I've never seen a leashed dog on the trail.

Sarcasm the elf
10-22-2015, 14:29
All the dog owners on Whiteblaze leash their dogs.

I've never seen a leashed dog on the trail.

That's because you have to be on the trail to see them.

(I kid, I kid :banana )

WingedMonkey
10-22-2015, 14:32
That's because you have to be on the trail to see them.

(I kid, I kid :banana )

Or I could be a adventurer like you.

Sarcasm the elf
10-22-2015, 14:34
Or I could be a adventurer like you.

I suspect that you are.

rocketsocks
10-22-2015, 17:53
What exactly is an Adventurer?

...first base :D

Wooobie
10-22-2015, 18:21
What exactly is an Adventurer?

...first base :D

People who feel a need to label their activities.

rdljr
10-22-2015, 18:26
ah, as a dog lover I would like to say that I had an experience with a dog on the trail this week. I was out on a nice walk in the Delaware water gap park and a young lady came jogging down the trail with two large dogs, one had the look of a mastiff the other a collie mix, as she jogged I was not sure who was in charge the dogs or the young lady. I stepped to the edge of the nice large path to allow them room to get pass and not cut me off at the knees with the leash. They got to about 10 feet away and the lady said something and both dogs came right in line ahead of her taking up no more room than one person and did not even turn to look at me as they passed. It was an impressive display of dog control, let them run around free until close then boom the alpha has spoken and they responded. Saw one other dog on the trail it was unleashed, had a pack and red vest on and was just following at the heels of a hiker, never even looked at me was to interested in something that smelled on the side of the trail and keeping up with it's owner. Now the dog I met at the hotel was a different story, all wet/muddy and shaking and barking on the front porch what a delight. Most people control and take care of their pets the few that don't give them all a bad name.

burger
10-22-2015, 19:08
Most people control and take care of their pets the few that don't give them all a bad name.
No. First, it's not just a few bad owners. I've had literally dozens of bad encounters with dogs on trail, ranging from dogs slobbering all over me/putting their muddy paws on me to near attacks to one actual bite which left me a scar for life on my leg.

Second, you're minimizing how infuriating a bad dog experience can be. In a span of seconds, you go from having a beautiful, idyllic hike to coming around a corner to find large, vicious, off-leash dogs running at you barking and snapping and ready to bite. There's nothing like that to get your adrenaline pumping and stress level up--just exactly the opposite of what I want when I hike.

So you'll have to excuse me if I take zero comfort from the fact that most dogs are well-behaved. It's that minority that can ruin your hike or, if you're really unlucky, send you to the hospital (or for about 40 Americans a year, kill you). Dog people on this site seem to totally blinded about how aggravating, infuriating, and outright dangerous badly behaved dogs can be. Just because it's not a majority of dogs does not mean that you can dismiss it as a non-problem by presenting a rosy anecdote about well-behaved dogs.

Sarcasm the elf
10-22-2015, 19:41
Can somebody please start enforcing the rules for this forum? This is getting ridiculous and is why so few dog owners use this site.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/16259-Dog-Forum-This-is-not-a-debate-forum-Read-before-posting

Dog Forum: This is not a debate forum. Read before posting.

Notice

This forum was created for the purpose of discussing how to responsibly hike the trail with a dog. The purpose of the forum is not to debate the whole topic of dogs on the trail. If your aim is to do so, please go to The general forum or poll forum or something. Otherwise stay away from these threads.

That said, if you disagree with dogs on the trail, it is probably because of unaware or irresponsible owners. The purpose of this forum was to try to fix that. The hope is dog hikers can pass on to each other the things that make the rare, good trail dogs a good trail dog. If more trail dogs benefit from good owners, then maybe there will be less problems in the long run.

If a dog owner that plans to bring their dog to the trail comes here and learns all the informal rules; the health, safety, and first aid issues they must consider; the impact a hike can have on a dog, the impact a dog can have on a hike; the equipment and pack weight issues to consider; effects of secondary predation, disease, and other impacts of wildlife on the dog and the dog on the wildlife; and the overall impact of the dog hiker on other hikers and even other dogs - The hope is that a dog owner can participate in the forum and learn all the informal rules and how hard it can really be to hike with a pet responsibly, and then allow them to make a personal, informed decision to either not hike with a pet or to go on the trail armed with the skills, knowledge, and attitude to do it correctly.

All that said, this forum came about this way because it had to. Every time the topic of how to act responsibly, the thread deteriorated into another battle against dog lovers against the supposed "dog haters". So if you plan to post here, post advice about how to backpack responsibly with the pet as a response to the question or topic. Due to past experiences the threads will be monitored closely for failure to comply. Abusers will loose the ability to read or post on this forum.

WingedMonkey
10-22-2015, 19:51
Can somebody please start enforcing the rules for this forum? This is getting ridiculous and is why so few dog owners use this site.

I agree.
The OP should be banned for making a big joke (in his mind) on the Dogs on the AT forum.

Wooobie
10-22-2015, 19:54
No. First, it's not just a few bad owners. I've had literally dozens of bad encounters with dogs on trail, ranging from dogs slobbering all over me/putting their muddy paws on me to near attacks to one actual bite which left me a scar for life on my leg.

Second, you're minimizing how infuriating a bad dog experience can be. In a span of seconds, you go from having a beautiful, idyllic hike to coming around a corner to find large, vicious, off-leash dogs running at you barking and snapping and ready to bite. There's nothing like that to get your adrenaline pumping and stress level up--just exactly the opposite of what I want when I hike.

So you'll have to excuse me if I take zero comfort from the fact that most dogs are well-behaved. It's that minority that can ruin your hike or, if you're really unlucky, send you to the hospital (or for about 40 Americans a year, kill you). Dog people on this site seem to totally blinded about how aggravating, infuriating, and outright dangerous badly behaved dogs can be. Just because it's not a majority of dogs does not mean that you can dismiss it as a non-problem by presenting a rosy anecdote about well-behaved dogs.

Im confused to what you are trying to accomplish on an introduction thread. You just come here to throw your negative opinion around? Are you trying to sway owners to hike without their dogs? Rules are rules, last i checked dogs are allowed on the trail.

Wooobie
10-22-2015, 19:56
I agree.
The OP should be banned for making a big joke (in his mind) on the Dogs on the AT forum.

I signed up for WB like 4 days ago, a ban wouldnt hurt my feelings. It has been nothing but a negative experience anyways.

Sarcasm the elf
10-22-2015, 20:04
I signed up for WB like 4 days ago, a ban wouldnt hurt my feelings. It has been nothing but a negative experience anyways.

You're probably the tenth member in the last few years to tell me the same thing after trying to have a constructive discussion in the dog forum.

burger
10-22-2015, 20:06
Im confused to what you are trying to accomplish on an introduction thread. You just come here to throw your negative opinion around? Are you trying to sway owners to hike without their dogs? Rules are rules, last i checked dogs are allowed on the trail.

No, I never said leave the dogs home. The point is to encourage dog owners to 1) keep their dogs on leash at all times, 2) ensure that their dogs are well-behaved around hikers (not agressive or excessively "friendly"), and 3) understand that not all people on the trail are dog friendly even if your dog is the nicest in the world so you should give people some space. That's it. If every dog owner did that, I would never have a problem with seeing dogs on the trail. Others above were talking about leaving dogs at home, not me.

WingedMonkey
10-22-2015, 20:07

That's amazing that you could come up with that satire in just four days of what you thought dogs on the AT is all about.

You sure seem to hit the nail on the head.

It's just some hikers don't find real trail life encounters so funny.

:welcome

Wooobie
10-22-2015, 20:18
That's amazing that you could come up with that satire in just four days of what you thought dogs on the AT is all about.

You sure seem to hit the nail on the head.

It's just some hikers don't find real trail life encounters so funny.

:welcome

Thank you for the welcome and your contribution of nothing.