PDA

View Full Version : Foothills trail winter hike.....

saltysack
10-20-2015, 20:19
I'm planning to do the fht this winter in ~4 days...what direction is preferred? Is the guidebook needed? Any useful info appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winger
10-20-2015, 21:29
You would enjoy it much more doing it over 5 to 8 days. There is so much to go slow for....water falls, peaks, side trails, etc. I went from Oconee east bound. Guidebook is helpful but is written for a east to west traverse. There will be plenty of water and lots of leaf covered roots and rocks. I fell more times on this trail than any other. Doubt you will see many other hikers if any. Its a beautiful gem of a trail.

saltysack
10-20-2015, 21:38
I'm have limited time due to kids and work...I enjoy covering more miles per day when solo as tend to get bored sitting at camp. Thx for info....

Mr. Bumpy
10-20-2015, 22:29
If you are leaving a car it would be more secure at Table Rock SP, but then of course you would have to pay a few dollars per day. The Foothills Trail Map by the Foothills Trail Conference is more useful that the guide book. I like both the book and the guide book, but really the map is all you need. Enjoy it. I'm not really sure how you would get a shuttle; If the Foothills Trail webpage is still in business I'd guess there are resources there. I've never done it but I think it would be a fairly easy hitch hike on Highway 11 on down to at least Lake Jocassee/Devils Fork SP area, maybe, but that could cut into your hiking time. If you are planning to put down big mile days then obviously keep in mind your daylight hours. There are places where it is good to night hike, and there are places where it would be unsafe or where you could easily lose get confused. There is not a lot of camping outside of what is marked on the map.

Mr. Bumpy
10-20-2015, 22:31
You could also park at Jones Gap SP or Ceaser's Head and use the extended trail network there.

Dogwood
10-20-2015, 23:14
I'm planning to do the fht this winter in ~4 days...what direction is preferred? Is the guidebook needed? Any useful info appreciated...

From an elevation profile perspective almost the same amount of elevation change regardless of direction. What is different regarding starting pt/end pt is the amount of uphill at the onset. This has been discussed in some detail already her on WB regarding possible pros/cons of direction of travel.

I believe the hiking community in good conscience should support hiking to some degree rather than always taking taking taking/being individually self absorbed and assuming it's other's responsibility to support trails. here's yet another wonderful opportunity for us as hikers to demonstrate we will support hiking and trails. FHT Guidebook and FHT map sales support the maintaining of the FHT. The FHT can surely use all the support it can get on this lovely trail. There are lots of fast growing understory plants, blow downs, steps, railings, and bridges that need regular maintenance on an already understaffed trail. I support the Foothills Trail Conference as a member too. Consider the Guidebook and map from that perspective.

I second Mr Bumpy's advise. Some of the attributes the FHT is known for is its abundance of water, waterfalls, possible side trips, and plants. Part of the FHT is actually located in a temperate rain forest. The FHT Guidebook and FHT map help locate some of these side trips, overlooks, alternate routes, extensions to the FHT proper, and waterfalls that may not be signed and would likely be missed/overlooked without these materials. Campsites are also depicted and described in the guidebook and on the map.

Even if you choose to not start/end at a FHT alternate end/start pt at Caesars Head SP try to find the time to check out Ravens Cliff Falls, a three tiered 100 ft high waterfall. You can do this by parking at Caesars Head SP and doing a RT 5 mile to the Ravens Cliff Falls wooden deck overlook on easy blazed trail. This alternate starting pt is also described in the Guidebook and depicted on the Map.

I also suggest getting the Guidebook and Map to check out the very nice wooden deck at Lower Whitewater Falls overlook, another awesome waterfall, at more than 400 ft in a two tiered affair reached from a side trail. IMO, the Lower Overlook provides possibly the BEST overall view of Whitewater Falls, the tallest waterfall east of the Rockies.

I sandwiched the FHT into a longer hike a few yrs ago during Feb after a winter storm left 10" of wet snow on the ground. It was COLD in the teens at night. Trail was slushy in spots and WET. This upcountry area of South Carolina sees possible FHT hiking windows virtually yr round BUT DO CHECK the winter weather BEFORE you go! Be mindful of wet slippery leaves as Mr Bumpy said.

Dogwood
10-20-2015, 23:19
I've never ended at Table Rock SP but at Oconee SP on three different FHT thru-hikes. Even in winter I believe OSP leaves on its HOT showers and has a few snacks at the campground store and has a phone. I've never driven a vehicle on any FHT hike but IMO it would be safe to leave a car at either Table Rock SP near the Official eastern FHT terminus or at Oconee SP. Check with both parks though.

I like all the Civilian Conservation Corp work that is still in impeccable shape at OSP.

Dogwood
10-20-2015, 23:24
For shuttle service: foothillstrail.org/shuttle-service

I've used Heward Douglas twice. He's really a nice guy and can tell you much about the area and trail.

http://www.foothillstrail.org/

Dogwood
10-20-2015, 23:24
http://www.foothillstrail.org/shuttle-service

Dogwood
10-20-2015, 23:25
http://www.foothillstrail.org/

AO2134
10-21-2015, 11:49
If you would like to read and see pictures of my experience on the foothills trail, http://georgiahiker.weebly.com/foothills-trail.html.

The Oconee section follows a lot of water mainly and has very minor elevation. The middle section can be described as a mixture of water, waterfalls, lakes, and some mountains. The Table Rock section is mainly mountains. Do you want to start or end climbing elevation? Do you want to start climbing and descending the biggest mountains in the trip or do you want to start walking along rivers/water? Either is fun.

Coffee
10-21-2015, 12:58
I posted a similar question last year and this is the thread (with many useful responses): http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/107465-Early-Mid-February-Hike-Foothills-Trail

My winter hike was in February rather than December so I had more daylight to work with. I hiked from Oconee to Table Rock in four days but I didn't have much daylight to spare in the morning and evening. I did take some breaks and had some daylight after setting up camp but I was awake well before dawn and on the trail as soon as a headlamp wasn't needed (so probably 30 minutes prior to sunrise).

After some hiked that went not according to plan later in the year I look back fondly at my Foothills Trail hike as a very successful and enjoyable trip! I hardly met anyone on the hike and the trail is beautiful. Other than in hiking forums like this one, I don't think anyone but locals even knows about it.

saltysack
10-21-2015, 14:14
Thx all....damn DW you are a plethora of knowledge!!! Where haven't you hiked! I'm jealous!! My son says he wants to go so I'll likely take 5.5-6 days as 13 mpd is about his pace at least on AT. Probably shoot for between Xmas-new year.....weather permitting....

Venchka
10-21-2015, 20:44
If I had to guess, my guess would be Kazakhstan.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

saltysack
10-21-2015, 21:11
If my son joins me I'll shoot for 5.5-6 days. Is there a good place to cache a food resupply near midway? Legal? I usually carry all food so 6 days for 2 plus dog food will get heavy quick with a winter gear haul...

JERMM
10-21-2015, 23:01
I'm too am planning a four day hike on the FHT in Nov, I've hiked it from OSP to Tablerock two times, this time I want to hike from Tablerock to OSP. I think I recall a camp near the Fish Hatchery Rd, but I'm not sure. It isn't an official camp, does anyone know if there's a camp near this road? thanks

Coffee
10-22-2015, 15:33
If my son joins me I'll shoot for 5.5-6 days. Is there a good place to cache a food resupply near midway? Legal? I usually carry all food so 6 days for 2 plus dog food will get heavy quick with a winter gear haul...

You have a bear canister, right? There are definitely places where you can drive to trailheads along the way. I'd have to check my guidebook to determine which one is half way but there are several opportunities, that I know for sure. I don't see how it would be irresponsible to cache a food supply in a bear canister somewhere in the woods near a trailhead but I don't know if it is legal to do so or not. Probably any of the FT members who assist hikers with shuttles could tell you.

saltysack
10-22-2015, 16:16
You have a bear canister, right? There are definitely places where you can drive to trailheads along the way. I'd have to check my guidebook to determine which one is half way but there are several opportunities, that I know for sure. I don't see how it would be irresponsible to cache a food supply in a bear canister somewhere in the woods near a trailhead but I don't know if it is legal to do so or not. Probably any of the FT members who assist hikers with shuttles could tell you.

Thx..not sure if I want to carry that 2lb Bearikade expedition...ill call the shuttlers after I join. Might just have my son carry some of his own food but even with a fairly heavy food haul and winter gear shouldn't be much over 40lbs. It's lots more than I typically carry in my circuit but if we're taking 6 days the milage is fairly low so I'll prob just haul the load as would hate to have my cache be gone upon arrival plus the $300+ bear can....

saltysack
10-28-2015, 10:04

Any idea if there was cell service along fht?

Coffee
10-28-2015, 12:14
Any idea if there was cell service along fht?

I didn't check often. I don't think that any of my campsites had signal. On my final day I had signal approaching Table Rock state park.

saltysack
10-28-2015, 12:20
I didn't check often. I don't think that any of my campsites had signal. On my final day I had signal approaching Table Rock state park.

Thxxx

Dogwood
10-28-2015, 16:15
I'm too am planning a four day hike on the FHT in Nov, I've hiked it from OSP to Tablerock two times, this time I want to hike from Tablerock to OSP. I think I recall a camp near the Fish Hatchery Rd, but I'm not sure. It isn't an official camp, does anyone know if there's a camp near this road? thanks

Don't immediately recall anything resembling an established campsite area at or in the immediate vicinity of Fish Hatchery Rd. Where the FHT crosses the road is quite close to HWY SC 107 anyway. You could do a dry camp or haul water in and do a hang and stealth camp somewhere in the area though. Don't know if it would be possible to get H2O from Walhalla Fish Hatchery from an outside spigot. I really don't see the need for walking to the hatchery and attempting to get H2O at the Fish hatchery anyway unless you were already anticipating a visit to the hatchery when you passed water nearby hiking westbound at Sloan Bridge(HWY SC 107) from the East Branch and if hiking eastbound from the Chattoogga River at Burrells Ford. Personally, even if there was an established campsite in that area I would push on westbound and take an established campsite at Burrells Ford(A 11 on the FHT map) on the Chattoogga River OR if hiking eastbound camping at established sites at Round Mountain. At Sloan Bridge are two nice day sites on the East Branch next to but private from HWY 107.

Another option is to not take the FHT proper between Burrells Ford and Sloan Bridge, which bypasses the hatchery. Instead, if hiking the FHT eastbound towards Table Rock SP, hike the IMHO more scenic route of the Chattoogga River further north and continue east to Sloan Bridge via the Fork Mt signed spur where you'll reconnect proper to the FHT. Camp along the Chattoogga River which has some very nice established sites right on the river.

Dogwood
10-28-2015, 16:18
JERMM, since you're anticipating going west6bound at Sloan Bridge take the Fork Mt to the Chatooga River and head south along the river on established trail to Burrells Ford.

All that I'm discussing is well depicted on the FHT Map and described in the FHT Guidebook.

Dogwood
10-28-2015, 16:31

You could do a cache but with your anticipated time frame I wouldn't be so concerned about the food haul. Besides you're a JMT alumni now. Suck it up. ;) Caching sites would depend on considerations you didn't share like direction of travel, extra allotted time, etc. I will share at the FHT road crossing of US 178 if you hitch south guesstimating 8-9 miles you'll reach a convenience store/gas station to supplement with a narrow selection of mashed potatoes, Ramen, sardines, etc and can have a sandwich made at the very limited menu grill located on the premises.

The nice folks at the Oconee SP have let me use their phone at the Park HDQTRS. There was a working pay phone at O SP last time I was there as well. I got cell phone service at the Table Rock SP eastern FHT terminus at the Nature Center about three yrs ago.

saltysack
10-28-2015, 19:43
You could do a cache but with your anticipated time frame I wouldn't be so concerned about the food haul. Besides you're a JMT alumni now. Suck it up. ;) Caching sites would depend on considerations you didn't share like direction of travel, extra allotted time, etc. I will share at the FHT road crossing of US 178 if you hitch south guesstimating 8-9 miles you'll reach a convenience store/gas station to supplement with a narrow selection of mashed potatoes, Ramen, sardines, etc and can have a sandwich made at the very limited menu grill located on the premises.

The nice folks at the Oconee SP have let me use their phone at the Park HDQTRS. There was a working pay phone at O SP last time I was there as well. I got cell phone service at the Table Rock SP eastern FHT terminus at the Nature Center about three yrs ago.

Planning eastbound....6 days isn't a problem for me but add my sons food and dog food I'm guessing I'd be close to 40+lbs....I try to keep his pack under 10 lbs...he carries his north face tigger 20* bag, clothes and few other items. I spoke with Hayward Douglas yesterday, he says there is a easy access drop spot about 26 miles in so it would take about 8-9 lbs off. If I do cache I'll build a cheap pvc tube. He said it isn't a problem and he'd pick it up later as he's by the area often.

saltysack
10-28-2015, 19:45

JMT Alumni......[emoji38][emoji482]. Can't wait to get back out west!

mylesrowe
12-02-2015, 02:18
What kind of gear would you recommend for a December hike of the foothills? What was the weather like when you hiked?

saltysack
12-02-2015, 07:08
Given the historical data I'd be prepared for lows in mid 20's to high in 50's with good chance of rain. For me it will be same gear as I bring on my southern AT winter trips....
15* bag
Good base layer
Beenie
Buff
Down jacket
Rain shell
Running shorts
Compression tights
Ls hiking shirt
2 hiking socks
1 sleep socks
The rest is stuff I normally carry. I'm going day after Xmas.

Rigger94
12-02-2015, 09:36
My son and I did 3 days (not the whole trail) on the Foothills trail last week, 23-25 Nov, starting at Tablerock. Temps during the day hiking had me in a t-shirt and vest but night time temps were in the high 20s, so bring warm stuff to sleep in. There were an abundance of leaves covering the trail so going down hill was interesting as some of the steeper descents. Plenty of water and the guide book was a great asset to have with me.