PDA

View Full Version : VISA Renewal whilst on the AT

awhitecat
10-21-2015, 17:48
I hold an Australian Passport. I am thinking about thruhiking the AT. Most people take about 5 months or so. Most Tourist Visa's for the USA are for only 90 days or 3 months. I have seen some people from outside the USA (usually Europeans) hiking the AT. How have you got on about renewing your Visa? Did you make arrangements with the Immigration Authorities before setting out?

Thank you for your help.

MuddyWaters
10-21-2015, 19:53
not an expert, but isnt a B2 visa 6 months? And it can be extended to 1 yr.

TNhiker
10-21-2015, 20:19
marry someone at springer..........

divorce em when you get finished up at katahdin....

problem solved :P

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2015, 21:08
The foreign hikers I've spoken to either hiked the trail in three month sections or did a six month visa which required a lot more paperwork and I believe a face to face interview at the consulate while still in their home country.

Shutterbug
10-22-2015, 00:51
I met some hikers who left the trail long enough to fly to Canada and get their Visa renewed. They were from Europe, but I don't remember which country.

pauly_j
10-22-2015, 03:55
If you're from a country the USA like (like us lot in Europe, not sure about you rowdy Aussies?), you can go to the US for 90 days without a VISA. After that, you have to get a B2 VISA, which can be either 1 or 5 years. Once over there, they will give you a period of stay when you enter the USA. It's never more than 6 months as far as I know, so if you want to take longer you will need to apply for an extension while you're there. 6 months should be fine though.