PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather pants?

Boo-Yah
10-22-2015, 00:06
Need some suggestions on what is best to backpack in as the temperature drops?  I am thinking you should wear the lightest coolest thing possible?  If pants are to be worn, what is best type, brand?  Convertible?

Feral Bill
10-22-2015, 00:37
Need some suggestions on what is best to backpack in as the temperature drops?  I am thinking you should wear the lightest coolest thing possible?  If pants are to be worn, what is best type, brand?  Convertible? It depends on how cold, how windy, and how wet.

saltysack
10-22-2015, 06:29
Convertible pants work fine but I have moved to my running shorts with compression underwear underneath, less restrictive and more comfortable. My legs rarely get cold on the move. It keeps my breaks short. The cheap compression leggings from target work fine and dry fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garlic08
10-22-2015, 07:45
Layers: polypro long underwear, light nylon trousers, and rain pants. Any of combination of those should work in most hiking conditions. I've found I don't lose much heat from my legs and don't need serious insulation. Down pants would be a good idea if you're in sustained arctic conditions.

The Cleaner
10-22-2015, 08:27
For the winter months, I like softshell pants like the Patagonia Mixed Guide pants or Marmot Scree pants. I travel a bit slower and also it's usually windy too. The softshell pants block 99% of the wind and do breathe well on long climbs. Both are warm enough at camp to about 25* w/o long johns and are comfortable enough to sleep in too. Also the pants cover my boots so I don't need scree gaiters either.