PDA

View Full Version : Looking easy 5-10 day PCT section 2016 in OR or WA

goodtime
10-22-2015, 07:31
Looking easy 5-10 day PCT section 2016 in OR or WA

point to point that I can shuttle to.

Any help would be appreciated. lower elevations preferred if possible?

Thanks.

Shannon1028
12-08-2015, 00:15
I was just exploring a similar topic in another thread. Personally, I've been looking into Washington sections H & I. It seems as though I has lower elevations overall, but I'm not 100% sure about shuttle options. Looking forward to seeing other responses! And good luck to you!

BrianLe
12-08-2015, 09:59
Not many sections you can shuttle to at both ends. My wife and I plus a friend took a bus from Seattle to Steven's Pass (U.S. 2) to hike most of section K north to Stehekin. It's about 100 miles. Folks on Whiteblaze sometimes give the impression that the "hundred mile wilderness" on the AT is a big thing, and I recall a sign at the start talking about how you should carry 10 friggin' days of food in with you to do it ... (!). But this 100 miles is a serious "no resupply along the way option" stretch. It's not like "AT wilderness". There's really nothing in between but wilderness. So for some people, the challenge of carrying enough food is daunting for this stretch. It really is a beautiful stretch though, one of my favorite on the PCT.

I think it's a trailways bus that gets you to Steven's Pass, and you'll want to look carefully at the details, it's not always a standard stop I think.

At the north end, there's a shuttle bus that goes from I think it's High Bridge camp to Stehekin, runs 2 or 3 times a day. Then you take one of a couple daily ferries a long ways on lake Chelan down to the town of Chelan. Then you take a bus from the ferry terminal about 45 miles to Wenatchee. Then you can take Amtrak into Seattle. It's quite a "public transport" adventure, and a challenge from the trailhead back into Seattle in a single day (but possible if connections all work). Or at least it was when I did it.

The only place I can think of where some sort of shuttle might (?) be possible might be Timberline to Cascade Locks, but if so I know no details.
You could take the trailways bus from Seattle to Steven's Pass and walk south to Snoqualmie Pass and then hitchhike on I-90 to the Seattle area. There MIGHT be a seasonal shuttle into Seattle from there; I think I've heard on and off about something like this (not just for ski season), but look it up, not sure.

BrianLe
12-08-2015, 10:00
It occurs to me that I've been assuming that by "shuttle" you mean "public transportation". If instead you mean a "two car shuttle", then of course more options are available to you ... !