PDA

View Full Version : Best Boot Recommendations

OldDawg
10-22-2015, 15:16
Whats your thoughts on the best boots? I will start section hiking the AT next spring. I'm 62 and diabetic. I'm in great shape otherwise. But blisters or other foot problems could be deadly. I wore out a pair of Asolo backpacking boots taking boy scouts hiking from 2000-2008, and am leaning towards another pair, but though I would pick, your brains

OldDawg ( Ronnie )
Shreveport, La

HooKooDooKu
10-22-2015, 16:41
I personally like Salomon.
I currently use the Saloman Quest 4D for my back-packing trips in GSMNP.
My son (who requires shoes with stiff soles) uses various Salomon trail runners over typical tennis shoes (exact model depends upon what I can find on sale).
For walking in the neighborhood, I'm using a pair of Salomon trail runners I found at a 60% clearance.

But the main criteria is whether or not a particular boot/shoe fits with the shape of your foot. Salomon isn't a magical shoe... but it's design fits my foot and my son's foot.
I previously tried Scarpa, but the shape simply didn't fit my foot and had to return it.
I've also tried Salewa and Asolo boots in the store, but they simply didn't fit MY foot.

TNhiker
10-22-2015, 16:51
i used asolos for about a decade and then switched over to zamberlan......................forget the model number.......

but, i noticed an improvement in fit and comfort for me......

and yes, get a boot that fits your foot...

spend a long time in an outfitter to get the proper fit and boot...

i think i took a little over 2 hours, pulling every model the store had, before i decided on model i got......

Cotton Terry
10-22-2015, 17:13
I'm very happy with Merrell Moabs, but as HooKooDooKu said, you need to find the boot that fits your foot. Go to a reputable store with knowledgeable staff, try many different styles and sizes on, pick the one that feels best, and then wear them.

TNhiker
10-22-2015, 17:20
and wherever you buy from----ask about their return policy...

you may find a boot you like in the store----but a mile or two into a hike you may hate them........

misterfloyd
10-23-2015, 08:06
Best Boots are a loaded question.

They must fit otherwise they are not worth a hill of beans. Also every foot is different. I would try on every boot possible with a good return policy. Also one that fits your needs. Do you want one with eva foam mids or PU ? There is a difference in comfort and function. Not all boot fitters are the same.

Boots or footwear is the one item that I will gladly research and really think out given my history of problems with my foot.

If you get a boot or shoe, you may also need or think about a good insole.
Floyd

OldDawg
10-23-2015, 10:32
Thanks for the info y'all. I'm going to the GSMNP in two weeks, and will run up to REI in Knoxville and spend a LOT of time trying on Boots! My son and I, maybe my daughter, will probably do springer to fontana the last week of March, then come back in mid summer and do the GSMNP. I'm so looking forward to this!

Furlough
10-23-2015, 12:11
Best Boots are a loaded question.

They must fit otherwise they are not worth a hill of beans.
Floyd

I have often wondered if anyone has done the math on this to determine exactly how much a hill of beans is really worth. I suppose the calculations would have to be done using various bean types, and some standard measure would have to be defined as to what volume would constitute the size of the hill. :)

bigcranky
10-23-2015, 12:14
I stopped getting blisters in 2000 when I switched from very heavy leather boots to lightweight trail runners.

scope
10-23-2015, 14:20
Yeah, if foot problems can be, er, a problem, then you probably don't want boots. Boots are great if you can afford a few blisters to break them in. Something like the Merrell Moab Ventilators are sort of a cross between actual trail runners and boots and don't require a break in period. I wear the Salomons and their great, too.

scope
10-23-2015, 14:22
I have often wondered if anyone has done the math on this to determine exactly how much a hill of beans is really worth. I suppose the calculations would have to be done using various bean types, and some standard measure would have to be defined as to what volume would constitute the size of the hill. :)

There's a lot of protein in them thar hills. Just sayin'. Can be very valuable to the right people, whether that be hikers, vegetarians, NASA, etc.

Traveler
10-23-2015, 18:40
The best boots are the ones that fit you best. Much as the best wine is the one you like.