PDA

View Full Version : Road to Max Patch

misterfloyd
10-22-2015, 18:17
Hello to all,

Since I have been layed up for the moment, I have been chomping at the bit to get outside in a very bad way. I remember as I was hiking last year that there was a road that lead up to Max Patch and there was a parking lot, roaring fork shelter is not too far away, and I remember tent sites as well on a trail next to it. All of this is low mileage, just what I need for the moment. Looking at a Nat Geo Map confirms this

My question pertains to the road leading up to it. Is it a road that needs a high clearance truck, or will my rice burner, Toyota corolla have enough clearance?

Have to ask because I went to Linville Gorge on the west side on Kistler Highway..... well that was no highway, and I turned around for fear of getting stuck.

Any information would be very welcome , and greatly appreciated.

Hope all of you are doing well.

Floyd

The Cleaner
10-22-2015, 18:55
From the TN side near Del Rio, it's near 15-20 miles to the Max Patch parking lot. It's paved for the 1st 10 miles then its regular USFS gravel road and a bit bumpy in spots but most cars should pass over w/o problem. I think the entrance on the NC side is about the same.

B_Rizzle
10-22-2015, 20:28
We went to Max Patch from Hot Springs the first week in October via 209, 1175 and 1181to Max Patch Rd in a Toyota Camry and didn't have any issues.

modiyooch
10-22-2015, 22:01
Went via Exit 7 from I40 NC side last week with no problems

misterfloyd
10-23-2015, 07:52
Thank you all for the replies.

I would be taking I-40 and getting off at Exit 7 as well.

Thank you all for your help!!

Floyd

Tennessee Viking
10-23-2015, 07:55
I have never had an issue with Kistler or Table Rock roads at Linville Gorge. There are some places you have to wait for traffic to pass or not to drive over an exposed rock but easy.

Max Patch is not exactly remote. There are some houses, cabins, and farms within the surrounding area. Its just a good drive up the mountain. There are three (3) approaches to Max Patch. One from Hot Springs using NC 209, one from Harmon Den (Cold Springs Rd)/I-40, and the other from Del Rio when TN 107 ends and turns USFS road up the mtn.

I have driven all three and they are all passable with a car. It really just depends on the weather. If its snowing, you might need 4x4. But its an easy drive up on gravel. You can either park at MP, the horse trail pullout, or continue onto Lemon Gap where there is additional parking.

Brown Gap you may need a 4x4 as its a good steep climb from Harmon Den.

copro
12-01-2015, 14:57
We went to Max Patch from Hot Springs the first week in October via 209, 1175 and 1181to Max Patch Rd in a Toyota Camry and didn't have any issues.

Getting ready to head there via this route next weekend. Can you tell me how long the drive from Hot Springs is? Also, is parking at Max Patch safe and plentiful? I'm guessing it won't be real busy in December.

Thanks.

Tennessee Viking
12-01-2015, 16:03
Make sure you don't have any food in the car or anything to attract bears. Bears have broken into cars very often. It will probably be about 45 minutes.