PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first piece of gear...^.^ and question about cook pot.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
10-23-2015, 15:06
Well..My first of the big three. I wanted to try and get a pack on sale since it is the fall everything must go season. I ended up buying a 50L fusion from six moon designs. ^.^

Next, I need to build my hammock from dutch, or buy my sleeping bag. Not sure which one I am going to aim for first.

Oh! Not to mention I bought the stuff to make a couple cozy's for my ziplock bag cooking recipes.

Now for the question: I have a large, tall, grease pot from Walmart that I normally use to boil water in for my weekend warrior hikes. Is this too big for a thru-hike? Is there a smaller version that people use?
http://www.goodmans.net/i/6464/imusa-a004-70011w-grease-dispenser.htm?sc=GOOGLEBASE&k=IM-70011&utm_source=GOOGLEBASE&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=IM-70011&gclid=Cj0KEQjwtaexBRCohZOAoOPL88oBEiQAr96eSAapvlEh z1eRJCJuOc_7ViwgyeL6LTxjTN8sy0ot-hkaAtqh8P8HAQ

I did spot a pot by Stanley that has nesting cups and a locking lid, but I don't know how heavy the pot is by itself. The cups would be used for weekend/car camping fun and I believe are the heaviest component. Anyone use these?
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Camp-24oz-Cook-Set/dp/B00H3377W6

paule
10-23-2015, 15:31
I have used the stanley pot,,,carry it without the cups,I have a stainless cup the bottom of the pot fits into,,,,not sure of the weight,but without the plastic cups it makes a big difference,those are the only two cooking utensils I carry.I will be buying the mini solo,snow peak titanium cook set,,,,,I am a bit of a newbie and just have a few section hikes this summer,but one piece of advice I have picked up from this forum is don't scrimp on your initial purchase of a piece of equipment,buy the best first,,,,that way you won't be buying the same stuff twice,,,,,the stanley has been quite adequate for my use and for the price.I cook over a campfire more than not and it has worked great,then again I have only been on the trail with it for like four weeks.

Venchka
10-23-2015, 15:31
1 quart, or a bit less, is the usual size for 1 person. You don't have to fill up a 1.5 quart pot. It will be a bit heavier. Can you exchange it?
Now, why didn't you read all, or at least some, of the good advice here to save your pack purchase until after you get all of your other gear together? Huh?
Hammock? Sleeping bag? Which will it be? Sleeping bags aren't the best way to stay warm in a hammock.

Wayne

FooFooCuddlyPoops
10-23-2015, 16:29
The pot is old. I have used it the past few years car camping, and weekend backpacks. It's always been used for more than one person, however. I may aim for a small cook pot.

As far as backpack before stuff: I think opposite. I buy too much. I knew I wanted this pack, it was on sale and is a damn good pack. In a way, it will help me pack less by having it and knowing what I need has to fit.

Both. I sleep in a sleeping bag in my hammock and it is damn near comfortable for me. I thought about quilts & under quilts but that is double the money, weight, etc.

We'll see.

Rolex
10-23-2015, 17:46
1 quart, or a bit less, is the usual size for 1 person. You don't have to fill up a 1.5 quart pot. It will be a bit heavier. Can you exchange it?
Now, why didn't you read all, or at least some, of the good advice here to save your pack purchase until after you get all of your other gear together? Huh?
Hammock? Sleeping bag? Which will it be? Sleeping bags aren't the best way to stay warm in a hammock.

Wayne

A good one to get is a Kmart grease pot. Made by Stanco I have noticed. About 5-10 bucks.
then leave the lid at home. Use the strainer which fits inside and is lighter as a lid. Cover the strainer with tin foil. Pick it up with a bandana one handed.
Get fancy and put a piece of wire on it for a bail to hang it over a wood fire. Make a cozy from
Reflectix, or a windshield sun blocker and metal or duct tape. Throw a mini Bic in it and a plastic spoon from a fast food joint.(McDonald's mc flurry is a good one.)

dont get me wrong, I am a gear freak and own stuff from snow peak,msr,gsi, and I can't remember some I know. But that little pot does everything that my fancy stuff has done with a cat can stove and a couple of ounces of yellow Heet fuel. Will do two packs of ramen.
Ive been in other towns without gear and scrounged up this stuff a few times to get to head out for an overnight or two.

egilbe
10-23-2015, 19:40
If it's the Fusion 50, it's more like a 40liter pack, still good enough for a weekend hike or several days if you skimp on gear, or have really compact gear.

Slo-go'en
10-23-2015, 20:47
Both. I sleep in a sleeping bag in my hammock and it is damn near comfortable for me. I thought about quilts & under quilts but that is double the money, weight, etc.

That's fine if your only camping in the summer. Same with a 50L pack. Great in the summer when you don't need to carry much.

atraildreamer
10-24-2015, 15:45
Double post. See next post.

atraildreamer
10-24-2015, 15:48
I found these at a Hispanic grocery store a few years ago. The grease pot is about 500 ml (~ 2 cups) capacity and is made by the Cosmo Company. Cost about $3. The sauce pan and covered paella pan were about $4 each. All work well with alcohol stoves.

Venchka
10-24-2015, 18:45
The pot is old. I have used it the past few years car camping, and weekend backpacks. It's always been used for more than one person, however. I may aim for a small cook pot.

As far as backpack before stuff: I think opposite. I buy too much. I knew I wanted this pack, it was on sale and is a damn good pack. In a way, it will help me pack less by having it and knowing what I need has to fit.

We'll see.

Very good. You've got things figured out. You know what works for you.
Rock & Roll!!!

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

4Bears
10-25-2015, 16:32
FooFoo.............. The Stanley set weighs 13.8 oz and without the cups the pot and lid weigh 7.8 oz. In contrast the same size pot in titanium with lid weighs 3.9 oz (110g) at a cost of $35 + shipping on http://toaksoutdoor.com/titanium750mlpot.aspx Hope this helps you. If you can afford to go lighter I would say do it, if not you already have a pot that is not crazy heavy. IMHO