PDA

View Full Version : Inchworm

Smoky Spoon
10-25-2015, 00:06
Is there any news about Inchworm? Thank you.

4eyedbuzzard
10-25-2015, 01:05

Traffic Jam
10-25-2015, 07:43

Just a bunch of BS and assholery which can be found in this thread.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/97087-Wardens-seek-hikers-aid-in-finding-woman-lost-from-Appalachian-Trail-Kennebec-Jour

Don H
10-25-2015, 08:06
Maybe this should be moved to the Straight Forward forum considering that in another week the Medical Examiners report is do which I expect will bring much more discussion. Hopefully there we can avoid the conversations on aircraft crashes, alien abductions and black ops kidnapping.

Don H
10-25-2015, 08:08

Current info is being posted here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/97087-Wardens-seek-hikers-aid-in-finding-woman-lost-from-Appalachian-Trail-Kennebec-Jour

MuddyWaters
10-25-2015, 10:36
Everything to date, by everyone, is pure speculation. It might always be that way. I hope not.

I dont know if med exam report will yield as much info as examination of the site she was found and the items present , or missing. Low probability events happen every day.

Until there is some evidence one way or other, its foolish to dismiss any possibilities.

Coffee
10-25-2015, 11:03
Inchworm is not a public figure and met an unfortunate end which now thankfully for her friends and family has some closure. I don't think that the rest of us are entitled to any answers or explanations whatsoever, unless a crime was involved in which case it will be public record. To the extent that Inchworm's family feels that it is appropriate for the hiking community to know about the circumstances they can tell us. Otherwise, aside from sympathies, I'm not sure why people feel a need to analyze what took place. I think that I'd want the same courtesy if something like this happened to me, and I'd guess most others would as well. RIP

4eyedbuzzard
10-25-2015, 13:50
Inchworm is not a public figure and met an unfortunate end which now thankfully for her friends and family has some closure. I don't think that the rest of us are entitled to any answers or explanations whatsoever, unless a crime was involved in which case it will be public record. To the extent that Inchworm's family feels that it is appropriate for the hiking community to know about the circumstances they can tell us. Otherwise, aside from sympathies, I'm not sure why people feel a need to analyze what took place. I think that I'd want the same courtesy if something like this happened to me, and I'd guess most others would as well. RIPI'm not insensitive to the rights of privacy of Inchworm's family. That said, in cases such as this where the disappearance, search, etc., were all newsworthy and widely reported, and the public's assistance was openly solicited in trying to help find Gerry, it isn't unrealistic for the public to expect a reasonable disclosure of the facts regarding recovery and final disposition. If nothing else, disclosing cause of death (which is typically publicly available under FOIA) and pertinent info regarding the recovery site might help quiet the conspiracy theories that arise.

tdoczi
10-25-2015, 15:55
I'm not insensitive to the rights of privacy of Inchworm's family. That said, in cases such as this where the disappearance, search, etc., were all newsworthy and widely reported, and the public's assistance was openly solicited in trying to help find Gerry, it isn't unrealistic for the public to expect a reasonable disclosure of the facts regarding recovery and final disposition. If nothing else, disclosing cause of death (which is typically publicly available under FOIA) and pertinent info regarding the recovery site might help quiet the conspiracy theories that arise.

i agree, when you put up posters and so forth asking for help and tell the media the missing person's life story as part of the plea for assistance you dont get to turn around call for privacy later when its convenient. i mean, theres nothing "wrong" with doing so or anything but i think its more than a little unreasonable.

now that said, i dont think thats whats anyone here is doing. i think at the moment there just isnt anything else to say. and there may never be.

Traveler
10-25-2015, 18:48
Much like other activities, a lot can be learned through the investigation processes involved. There is a very good argument for disclosure given the commissioning of a reward and involvement of public agencies, but perhaps the best argument being its for the good of the community and activity itself. Beyond those who hike recreationally, SAR benefits greatly from the review and any forensic findings involved to assess how the searches were made and if anything different could have been done.

Rain Man
10-26-2015, 09:59
I agree that generally information should be released to the public ... IN DUE COURSE.

But, sorry, but those making wild speculations to fulfill some salacious need for instant gratification are NOT wanting information. What they are wanting is instantaneous "pleasure."

Wet Foot
10-26-2015, 11:06
I'm always bemused by some people (Traffic Jam) who get so OFFENDED by others having discussions they may not like. One always has the option of LOGGING OFF and TURNING OFF THE COMPUTER. Just sayin'.

It's called free speech.

coach lou
10-26-2015, 11:17
I'm always bemused by some people (Traffic Jam) who get so OFFENDED by others having discussions they may not like. One always has the option of LOGGING OFF and TURNING OFF THE COMPUTER. Just sayin'.

It's called free speech.

I assume you have read all 1850 replies to that thread.

rickb
10-26-2015, 11:31
I agree that generally information should be released to the public ... IN DUE COURSE.

But, sorry, but those making wild speculations to fulfill some salacious need for instant gratification are NOT wanting information. What they are wanting is instantaneous "pleasure."

Who exactly are you talking about?

To my reading, I have seen very little in the way of "wild speculations" in this thread.

I think one of the reason you see the kind of discussions like this one here on Whiteblaze is that the authorities tend to share very little with the public until they are absolutely forced to.

In this case they made an immediate announcement that they saw no sign of foul play, but said nothing more. Think back to how little the authorities shared in other cases until required to do so by state law.

In the absence of more informtion I think the kind of respectful discourse in this thread is very natural under the circumstances. If people who have walked the same trails -- some of us many times -- can't ask "what could possibly have lead up to this" then who can?

PAFranklin
10-26-2015, 12:38
Inchworm is not a public figure and met an unfortunate end which now thankfully for her friends and family has some closure. I don't think that the rest of us are entitled to any answers or explanations whatsoever, unless a crime was involved in which case it will be public record. To the extent that Inchworm's family feels that it is appropriate for the hiking community to know about the circumstances they can tell us. Otherwise, aside from sympathies, I'm not sure why people feel a need to analyze what took place. I think that I'd want the same courtesy if something like this happened to me, and I'd guess most others would as well. RIP

While I respect her family understanding what happened may be valuable for others of us who hike such areas.

Don H
10-26-2015, 13:18
No doubt the Boston Globe will do an in-depth article after the investigation is completed and the information becomes public.

Mags
10-26-2015, 13:51
No doubt the Boston Globe will do an in-depth article after the investigation is completed and the information becomes public.

Not much more can be said than that. Thank you.