PDA

View Full Version : Day Hike Advice in Maryland sought from AT newbie

jshaffstall
10-25-2015, 11:23
My daughter and I are looking to do what you all would consider an ultra-short day hike on the AT. I'm 50 and she's 10, and we're looking for something that we can enjoy and can spark a love of hiking in her.

We have a training regimen planned that she's excited about. I'm hoping she learns a lot from that about setting small goals and building up to something larger.

After doing some research, I think the 7-8 mile stretch from Crampton Gap to Harpers Ferry fits our needs, but wanted to get some advice from anyone who has been on that stretch.

It looks like there aren't any long uphill stretches in that area, just the one big downhill stretch to Weverton Road. I want her first day hike experience to be a positive one. She's excited about hiking on the AT, and I want to build on that.

Is there anything in particular I should know about that stretch?

Is there a particular time of year that would be best for that stretch? I'd prefer to avoid bug season for her first experience.

Is it worth the expense of getting the Maryland AT guidebook just for the info it would have on that short stretch?

Spirit Walker
10-25-2015, 11:30
You don't need the guidebook as the trail is easy to follow. Just follow the white blazes. The trail to the viewpoint is blueblazed. Keep an eye out for that as it is worth the side excursion. Autumn and early spring are best for the view of colorful trees, but there is a view from the rocks any time of year.

paule
10-25-2015, 11:54
A beautiful stretch,but that down hill is a tough hike for a new hiker and it is a little rocky from Ed Garvey shelter to that down hill.A nice alternative would be park at Gathland park and walk south to Ed Garvey shelter for lunch and then just turn and walk back,about 8 to 9 miles round trip,and enjoy the sights and historical significance of Gathland.Then if you still had a little time you could walk north and follow the old access road to Cramton gap shelter,it is a lot easier than following the AT to the shelter,flatter and faster.

jwright
10-25-2015, 14:44
Maryland would be good start, none of the sections are terribly difficult. It is kinda of cool to hike into Harper's Ferry and the views at weaverton before you descend are great, but there is a bit of a walk along the C&O before town. You can also visit the ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry. Paule is right, the downhill is a bit steep but very manageable due to the switchbacks and it is relatively short.

I'm not sure how important a nice start/end point is for you since it looks like you might be driving in form OH. Also don't know if views or sights are important. Some other interesting MD ideas in no particular order......Washington monument is a nice attraction, might be a good place to start/end with a nice view from the monument and it is a park with real bathrooms, etc. The rocks and view from High Rock is pretty unique (lots of graffiti though). The 'old' Rocky Run shelter is a nice spot as well. Gathland is also a nice start/stop point as there are some historical buildings/displays and quite a bit of history present.

As Far as maps, I would probably just use guthook's app for MD or there is a nice pdf guide available at cnyhiking

paule
10-25-2015, 15:11
Maryland would be good start, none of the sections are terribly difficult. It is kinda of cool to hike into Harper's Ferry and the views at weaverton before you descend are great, but there is a bit of a walk along the C&O before town. You can also visit the ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry. Paule is right, the downhill is a bit steep but very manageable due to the switchbacks and it is relatively short.

I'm not sure how important a nice start/end point is for you since it looks like you might be driving in form OH. Also don't know if views or sights are important. Some other interesting MD ideas in no particular order......Washington monument is a nice attraction, might be a good place to start/end with a nice view from the monument and it is a park with real bathrooms, etc. The rocks and view from High Rock is pretty unique (lots of graffiti though). The 'old' Rocky Run shelter is a nice spot as well. Gathland is also a nice start/stop point as there are some historical buildings/displays and quite a bit of history present.

As Far as maps, I would probably just use guthook's app for MD or there is a nice pdf guide available at cnyhiking
When you mentioned maps it got me thinking,when I was at gathland a few weeks bag there was a quite a few guide brochures that had a more than adequate map for this...and even a little more...It had the trail with all the stops and shelters drawn out,very helpful.

jshaffstall
10-25-2015, 15:42
Thanks for all the advice!

Sounds like that section of trail will be perfect, and we're both super excited about it.

I didn't realize the AT HQ was at Harpers Ferry. Do they have something open to the public?

paule
10-25-2015, 15:45
Thanks for all the advice!

Sounds like that section of trail will be perfect, and we're both super excited about it.

I didn't realize the AT HQ was at Harpers Ferry. Do they have something open to the public?
Yes,and a very helpful friendly staff.

Kaptainkriz
10-25-2015, 17:38
I just hiked most of the section you mention this past weekend. It is a reletavely easy grade with excpetion of the descent off the ridge, and even that has pretty easy switchbacks. There is a commuter parking lot at the base of Weverton that can be used as a bail point if the legs stop working. From Weverton to Harpers ferry is the old C&O canal path...perfectly flat with beautiful views of the river. Also, the water at Garvey is a steep .4 miles down and back. The side trail to the shelter is short and worth visiting.

As of a few weeks ago, the Monument was roped off and closed due to damage from a lightning strike. You can still walk up and look at the outside though.

.....Washington monument is a nice attraction, might be a good place to start/end with a nice view from the monument and it is a park with real bathrooms, etc.

Kaptainkriz
10-25-2015, 17:43
Some photos from this weekend:
https://goo.gl/photos/gLFWgkisdsuzot5M6
https://goo.gl/photos/XEXJY71kCDAW81VK7

Kaptainkriz
10-25-2015, 19:37
Also uploaded a short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-47pYdyEs

paule
10-25-2015, 19:53
Also uploaded a short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-47pYdyEs
Thank You,,,,once again,great video.

Kaptainkriz
04-30-2016, 19:42
Did a short hike today and the Washington Monument is now open again!! Today was the 1st day it was open since the lightning strike last year.