PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the whites

ATaBoy
10-25-2015, 16:00
This is a tell me what to expect question. I have day hiked Mt.Washington… Pinkham Notch and thru Tuckerman's Ravine. The trail to Tuckermans was like well packed rounded cobblestones almost. Tuckermans to the summit turned into a vast field of broken up jagged but well packed smaller rock. You gotta step it off and can't always decide in advance the best rock for your foot to land upon. A lot of knife edges if you will. But there was no wobble to the rock and no ankle breaking mishaps.Once atop the summit is the hike around the Presidentials/Madison springs just like that? And what are the trail conditions like on the approach to Lakes of the Clouds ? Any insights you can provide much appreciated.

4eyedbuzzard
10-25-2015, 16:39
Above treeline, the trails making up the AT will all have very similar conditions to what you experienced climbing Mt. Washington only it's a more flat ridge walk. There are no technical sections. Just walking up and down on rocks. The biggest caution and variable is, as always, the weather. Keep an eye on it as conditions can change very quickly. One minute it's clear, and 10 minutes later the clouds roll in and your visibility goes to the next cairn if your lucky. And even on a clear day, the wind can make hiking and secure footing difficult once it gets blowing above 40 mph. Bring suitable clothes/wind gear, including for your head and ears and eye wear of some kind to break the wind. The cold wind can make you miserable very quickly, especially if you are hiking right into it.

rafe
10-25-2015, 16:41
Most of the Presidential traverse, at least from Washington summit to Madison summit, is rock-hopping. Here and there in the cols there is relatively flat ground with some grass showing.

Slo-go'en
10-25-2015, 19:28
Most of the Presidential traverse, at least from Washington summit to Madison summit, is rock-hopping. Here and there in the cols there is relatively flat ground with some grass showing.

Many of the rocks have been moved to lay flat into something resembling a walk way. The early trail builders up there spent many summers working on that.

And stay off the grass or you'll get a tongue lashing from me. Rafe knows what I'm talking about :) You know the saying "leave only footprints" well up there don't even leave footprints because if you do, your not on the trail.

ATaBoy
10-25-2015, 20:28
thanks-that gives me good intel

ATaBoy
10-25-2015, 20:29
good insights-thanks

peakbagger
10-25-2015, 20:51
The Gulfside section of the AT north of Mt Washington has some very nice rock work in some sections but many thru hikers take the side paths over the summits of Clay, Jefferson, and Adams which are bit rougher trail. The walking south of Mt Washington is a bit smoother on the Crawford path

Slo-go'en
10-25-2015, 23:41
Yea, the rock piles to the actual summits are a bit bumpy, but relatively short. Worth the extra time and effort if it's a nice day.

Water Rat
10-26-2015, 10:00
All of the above advice and... If you enjoy looking at views - Be sure to get an early start because there are many places up there where you might find yourself stopping and staring in utter awe of the scenery. :)

Have fun! It's a wonderful section of trail.

rafe
10-26-2015, 10:42
Many of the rocks have been moved to lay flat into something resembling a walk way. The early trail builders up there spent many summers working on that.

More like: just enough rocks have been shoved around to sort of suggest a path-of-least-resistance. ;)