PDA

View Full Version : Did you stay at Lake of the Clouds Hut?

rickb
12-05-2005, 11:19
Most of the AMC Huts are real easy to avoid staying at, should you wish to do so. The one exception is Lakes of the Clouds Hut which is located on the longest strech of trail above tree line.

This poll asks thru hikers and section hikers whether or not you stayed there. If you've backpacked over the Presidentials more than once, answer for your first time through.

max patch
12-05-2005, 11:47
I worked for stay and answered accordingly.

However, a more accurate poll choice would have been: "I worked for stay but wish I hadn't been so "lucky" cuz they worked my butt off and in retrospect I should have paid the $40 or so."

My wife and I did the Presidentials a couple years later and gladly made reservations and paid the full tariff.

Footslogger
12-05-2005, 11:52
No ...the Croo was boarding it up when I hiked through in 2003. Lakes (and all the rest of the huts above tree line) close on 9/15 and I missed it by a day or two.

'Slogger

rickb
12-05-2005, 11:56
in retrospect I should have paid the $40 or so

Its about twice that now.

Nean
12-05-2005, 12:10
4 4 4 @ Lake o' the Crowds. And always a good experience.

Cuppa Joe
12-05-2005, 12:18
The day we reached Lake of the Clouds was an "off" day as far as paying patrons was concerned. There were 12 of us there that night and all of us were given work for stay. Not to mention we we given our own bunkroom!

We had a great time with the "Croo" and the "work" was minimal. We were out on the trail the next day by 8:00.

No omplaints here :)

Cuppa Joe

weary
12-05-2005, 12:25
I lied in the poll. I said it was windy, because I didn't want to lie and say I was rich.

Actually, it was well into September by the time I reached the Whites. I figured reserving space in the huts would avoid the hassle and delays of finding camping places. Plus I had never stayed at the huts as a paying customer, and thought I'd try it out.

As it turned out an early snow storm and gale winds forced me to stay a second night at the Lakes. I envied those who were working their way through. They were in the warm kitchen doing dishes while I shiffered in the unheated dining room.

Weary

Lobo
12-05-2005, 12:28
I paid to stay there in 1999 when I did a three hut hike with my wife. I "worked to stay" during my 2000 thru hike by giving a talk in the evening about backpacking to about 100 people, and setting the tables for breakfast the next morning.

Mouse
12-05-2005, 13:18
I was stuck there for two nights by by weather. It was a bit odd. While sitting at breakfast in Crawford Notch a gentleman said he had paid in advance for two bunks but was going alone, so offered me a free bunk. So I was set for the first night. The next night a hiking club had booked nearly the entire hut for a huge party and not all of them could make it up in the storm. Not looking forward to having to wait until well past midnight for a table to sleep on after enduring hours of loud partying, I splurged and paid for a second night in a bunk. That got me fed and let me go to bed at a decent hour.

It DID get me no end of good-natured ribbing from my fellow through-hikers. :bse "How was your BUNK last night?" "She is not one of US anymore." :bse "Traitor!" :bse Still, it was worth it!

the goat
12-05-2005, 14:10
in '01 i hiked past it.

in '03, i cowboy camped out on the ridge above the hut on the rocks. you could see every star in the sky that night.

fiddlehead
12-05-2005, 15:36
been there a few times, (only allowed one vote though) i've slept in the dungeon twice, worked twice and camped at Edmonds Col once and hiked all the way from Crawford to Pinkham once. Last time i saw the dungeon, it had 5 inches of ice over the door. (kept going)

rickb
12-05-2005, 18:04
I saw a reference to "reduced rates" for vacant bunks in the letter section of this month's ATN. Is it true that there is such a thing? Or perhaps that was just one croo's individual policy?

Also, is the Dungeon even open these days? If so, can you just show up and claim your spot like at a shelter?

Sly
12-05-2005, 18:14
After a hour of hard labor rolling boulders and carrying 5 gallon buckets of mineral soil for the $6 fee at Ethan Pond, I splurged and made reservations for the Dungeon from Ethan Pond.

Tim Rich
12-05-2005, 19:20
We stayed at several huts on our section hike there a few years ago and got the three or four day discount. It was our most expensive section hike on the whole trail, but I knew it was coming and planned for it. It was a great experience.

Take Care,

Tim

NotYet
12-05-2005, 20:35
The winds were wailing; it was cold and wet, and the dungeon was full. The croo let us find a spot in the main room after the paying customers went to their bunks ($3 for two people seemed very reasonable to me!). Since it wasn't work for stay, we even got to leave early the next morning. It all worked out quite well for us!!!

Kembo
12-07-2005, 21:24
I paid the full fare. It included a good dinner, breakfast and a box lunch to go. My dog slept in the bunk with me. The whole thing cost me $11.50 in 1972.

swamp dawg
12-16-2005, 12:47
We hit the hut just right this July because there were a lot of NOBOs and SOBO hiking on the trail. The weather was cool and rainy so we were glad to do the labor. The croo made sure we did our assigned task but we got to clean up on leftovers after our work. The guest were really curious about our hiking on the AT. We slept in the main dining room which wasn't bad at all. I had heard that the hut croos were less than friendly to AT hikers but we found this not the case because most went out of their way to help us out.

Mouse
12-16-2005, 13:08
I think those with the best deal were the ones whose assigned work was to give a talk on thruhiking! :banana

Crash! Bang!
12-26-2005, 21:27
i got a work for stay AND i slept in the dungeon. no way was i gonna sleep on top of the tables or whatever it is they make the work-for-stay people do while all those yuppies were in the next room

Grampie
12-27-2005, 10:37
During my thru I did work for stay at Lake of the Clouds Hut. My work for stay was with the help of three other hikers, clean and defrost two refrigerators. We took our time and it took about an hour to do the job. I was the first to arrive, and ask to work, and was given a bunk to sleep in. Had a good dinner and a great breakfast. It was a enjoyable experience.

Cookerhiker
01-05-2006, 10:40
I backpacked the Whites (southbound) twice. First time I stayed the previous night at Perch Shelter, second time at Madison. Went on to Mizpah both times.

RITBlake
01-05-2006, 17:43
Stayed there and did a work for stay w/ 3 other SOBO's. Work was minimal and they fed us both dinner and breakfast. Our job was to sweep the place out when people left. It ws very easy and we were on the trail by 11 a.m.

Sobos probably have it better here because there is not as much competition for work for stay space. We did a W4S 3 times in the whites, I thought it was great.

Lost Soul
01-05-2006, 22:28
Slept on the tables and worked for a bit. There were quite a few hikers there when I was there in 97 and not many "real" customers so we had it light... Overall the workers in the huts were very nice to us. I stayed at one hut for 2 nights as I was sick with a cold/flu but still managed to help out. I volunteered to hike down the mountain to help bring back supplies on a backboard with a hut worker. An interesting change from a regular pack. Anyone else ever get to try that experience?

MOWGLI
01-05-2006, 22:41
One of the more memorable nights of the trip. Did a work for stay and got to stay in a bunk upstairs. Met some great folks who were doing hut to hut.

One of the best things was hearing the Croo talk about the airplane propeller chained to the ceiling, and how the Croo at Madison Hut traditionally tries to steal it in the middle of the night. Well, I woke up at 2 AM and went to take a leak and saw flashlights. The Croo from Mizpah (I think) was raiding the hut and performing all kinds of mischief. They tried to get the propeller down, but couldn't. I stayed up and quietly watched the shenanigans. It was great fun. Finally the Lake of the Clouds Croo woke up and had a good laugh with the hut raiders. I wish I'd taken some photos that night.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2006, 22:45
I stealthed within 150 yards of the joint. Got a free meal too.

Singer
01-06-2006, 10:20
My husband and I stayed at Lakes and Madison Hut last summer on our 2 week section hike. Lakes was OK, too crowded. They had a great night time presentation on their weather data collection and on the alpine flora.Unfortunately it wasn't as clean as I had hoped. I had a floor bunk, and for $85 each it should have been cleaner than the free shelters! I think a kid had an acident in my bunk too, YUCH! Madison Springs was great though; less people, more friendly croo, and great bunks (I slept up top, fourth bunk up!!). Best of all was Carter notch Hut. It is self service, more like a cabin with bunks than a "hut". Very peaceful, not crowded with people, cheaper ($25 each), pond to swim in, more nature.....I'll definitely go back there! Great last 2 days of a trip!!

Unfortunately, the worst people we met on our trip were there. They were thruhikers too! One dumped a whole pile of lipton dinner on the side of the trail. Gee, rotting lipton smeels great at 90 degrees! Talk about unsightly! Five others came in early morning for a rest, but made a mess of the place with their snacks and were badmouthing the hut system while they enjoyed the bug free tables and clean water! I had met so many great and inspiring thruhikers, I really want to try it myself someday. These guys were embarassing to the hiking community at large. I didn't think you could spend so much time on a trail and not respect it. I also didn't think you could thruhike and not respect the people who really try to keep the forest as protected as possible. I think of all the hikers that say "you could stealth in the Whites and leave less impact than the Huts". This may be true for the experienced, but most weekend hikers I have met are idiots. I treat my camp like my home. They don't know LNT exists! You wouldn't throw garbage on your couch! I usually pack out at least 2+lbs of trash for every 5 continuous days that I hike. Sometimes I have to leave the trash behind, because there's too much. You should see north Georgia at the end of May, Trash City!! May be huts aren't such a bad thing.:-?

MOWGLI
01-06-2006, 13:06
Unfortunately, the worst people we met on our trip were there. They were thruhikers too! One dumped a whole pile of lipton dinner on the side of the trail. Gee, rotting lipton smeels great at 90 degrees! Talk about unsightly! Five others came in early morning for a rest, but made a mess of the place with their snacks and were badmouthing the hut system while they enjoyed the bug free tables and clean water! I had met so many great and inspiring thruhikers, I really want to try it myself someday. These guys were embarassing to the hiking community at large.

Very disconcerting, but not surprising. And some folks wonder why some of the Croos can be unsympathetic to thru-hikers. :confused:

Grampie
01-06-2006, 13:45
[QUOTE=Singer]

Unfortunately, the worst people we met on our trip were there. They were thruhikers too! One dumped a whole pile of lipton dinner on the side of the trail. Gee, rotting lipton smeels great at 90 degrees! Talk about unsightly! Five others came in early morning for a rest, but made a mess of the place with their snacks and were badmouthing the hut system while they enjoyed the bug free tables and clean water! I had met so many great and inspiring thruhikers, I really want to try it myself someday. These guys were embarassing to the hiking community at large. I didn't think you could spend so much time on a trail and not respect it. I also didn't think you could thruhike and not respect the people who really try to keep the forest as protected as possible.

Just another example where a bad apple spoiled the whole barrel. Most of the thru-hikers I have met, during my thru and as a caretaker, have been very considerate tword the trail and other hikers. Many folks hike the AT telling all they meet that they are thru-hiking but are not. Some folks who hike the AT think every hiker they meet is a thru-hiker but they only are hikers who wish they were. Most of the time, these are the ones giving thru-hikers a bad rap.

The Red Haired Guy
06-14-2015, 13:26
Wish they would let dogs in now.

The Red Haired Guy
06-14-2015, 13:41
First time I stayed at Lake of the Cloud I paid full member price. I spend a lot of time in the white mountains and take advantage of the hut system frequently. Am I rich? By no means. I am a day laborer. So I get irked a little at the option I was provided. Though if I do have one complaint about the Hut system it is the "No Dog" policy. My other complaint is whining hikers, Be they Cog Posers or Entitled Thrus'. When I stay at a hut I get what I paid for.

colorado_rob
06-14-2015, 13:52
I would have stayed for sure, but wI hiked by right at mid-day. ~$100/night (for AMC members) requires one to be rich???????????? I did stay at a couple other huts, nice thing to do when hiking through those bad-a$$ white mountains!

magneto
06-14-2015, 23:18
I stayed. Paid the 100 bucks and mice attacked my pack. Chewed holes in the hip pockets. Fixed with Tenacious Tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
06-14-2015, 23:55
Got a Work For Stay on my 06 AT NOBO thru. The hut was packed. My work stay was giving a speech in front of the packed house on what an AT thru-hike experience was like. I answered so many questions and gave so many demonstrations with some of the other AT thru-hikers also chiming in. What a great thru-hiker team effort inspiring others. By the amazement, excitement, and inspiration on all the faces I think everyone enjoyed the 1 1/2 hr talk. Wow, did the hut folks feed me well that night. Tons of leftover food. All I could eat turkey, salad, real mashed potatoes, hut baked cookies and bread, etc. I never appreciated a salad so much. I luv the AMC folks. I'll never forget that night. It made my AT thru that much more all the richer and memorable. Because of all the ongoing long standing excellent work I noticed the AMC folks doing and how generously and kindly I was treated by all the hut folks, including visits at Joe Dodge and Highland Center Lodges, I became a AMC supporter.

Seeking to embrace with humility, kindness, tolerance, and cooperation rather than easily giving into whining or projecting an exaggerated sense of one's importance(haughtiness) often takes us further in life.

Spirit Walker
06-15-2015, 00:05
On both of my thruhikes I passed LoC late morning. I hiked from Mizpah to Madison, with a work for stay at Madison the first time and camping down the trail the second time.

wrap89
06-15-2015, 09:18
on my 96 flip-flop i washed dishes but on both my Nobo's i paid to stay.

DavidNH
06-15-2015, 09:50
On my 2006 thru I did work for stay at Lakes and at Madison. On another occasion, I hiked through an all day rain and stayed in "the dungeon." You don't want to stay there if you can help it (unheated basement) but when the weather is miserable it's a gift! (well it costs 8 bucks but that is still a gift).

Bluegrass
06-15-2015, 13:47
In 2005 I did work for stay. The work was doing the dishes after dinner - it really was not too bad. Slept on the dining room tables, if I remember correctly.

WalkingStick75
06-15-2015, 15:52
So much depends on the Croo. I hoped hut to hut, not originally planning on it but all the croo's were great until I reached Lake of the Clouds. Even though the croo from Mizpah Springs radioed ahead they refused to accept any hikers. I need to eat some food out of my pack anyways as I still had just about the same amount that I started with when I entered the Whites. So I arrived at the hut and ate a couple dinners in the dungeon and hiked out early ahead of all the yuppies.

Dogwood
06-15-2015, 16:23
If this poll is even remotely representative of how AT hikers/AT thru-hikers are treated by the AMC/AMC hut croos it is a vivid reminder of just how accommodating the AMC can be towards these groups.

Fredt4
06-15-2015, 23:32
Stayed there two day before Hurricane Irene arrived. Interesting how everyone cleared out of the Whites.

Kaptainkriz
08-02-2015, 19:46
Planning to stay there in September. Looking forward to an interesting experience. :)

peakbagger
08-03-2015, 05:41
Bring a Brita filter in your pack. (they seem to be heavily dosing their water this year and it has a distinct aftertaste)

BirdBrain
08-03-2015, 05:53
I called ahead to see if I could stay in the Dungeon. Not the right thing to do. They said no. The short of it is that if you are honest and plan, you can't stay. If you show up with no plan at a time where you are in need, you have a good chance. I understand the policy. I almost grasp why it is necessary. I completely disagree with it.

Edit: For those that are asking themselves how you call, I obtained a number from a friend that would know. It was not a number to the Hut. It was a number to a person that used to handle such planning. They no longer allow a person to be prudent and calculate a proper distance and make proper plans... unless you are willing to play full price.

I voted that I got creative. Sorry. I am not going to explain that creativity... and no, I did not sleep at the Hut.

Kaptainkriz
08-03-2015, 18:03
Thanks for the heads up! :)

Bring a Brita filter in your pack. (they seem to be heavily dosing their water this year and it has a distinct aftertaste)

full conditions
08-04-2015, 17:38
I washed dinner dishes for stay during my '76 thru and loved my experience there - so much so that I returned for the '77 season to work as a crop member. I was unquestionably partial toward thrus and helped them out as much as possible. There just werent all that many back then so they weren't too much of a strain on resources.

Kaptainkriz
08-11-2015, 21:13
100 year anniversary: http://youtu.be/iL2i8Tbk-y8