PDA

View Full Version : Is spring running on old Jeep road .2 south of Chestnut Knob shelter?

Dangerous Dave
10-26-2015, 11:01
We are planning a NOBO section hike for mid November 2015 that includes Chestnut Knob shelter. Most accounts say there is no water at the shelter, but some mention a spring below the shelter on an old Jeep road that is just south of the shelter. Has anyone been there recently that can verify if the spring is running? Trying to avoid carrying water from the pond 1.8 miles south of the shelter. Thanks.

Slo-go'en
10-26-2015, 11:28
There's definitely no water at the shelter and carrying water up from the pond (which has a piped spring feeding it) is a pain.
The trail follows an old jeep road for a ways near the shelter from the south and I've seen water along it, but not anything you'd want to drink. If there is a spring somewhere along there, it can't be very reliable or very obvious. Unless someone can give you exact directions to it, you'd best plan on lugging water up from the pond.

Angle
10-26-2015, 13:33
I was through there in the spring and the spring was flowing nicely. The old road bed is on the right and the spring is not far down hill from the trail. Iceman

LittleRock
10-27-2015, 07:54
There's definitely no water at the shelter and carrying water up from the pond (which has a piped spring feeding it) is a pain.
The trail follows an old jeep road for a ways near the shelter from the south and I've seen water along it, but not anything you'd want to drink. If there is a spring somewhere along there, it can't be very reliable or very obvious. Unless someone can give you exact directions to it, you'd best plan on lugging water up from the pond.

Agree. There was a small pond to the left of the jeep road about 1/4 mile before the shelter when I went through there a few weeks ago, but it was murky and stagnant. Maybe drinkable after filtering AND treating, but IMO much safer to haul water 1.8 miles from the spring. The 1.8 miles really isn't that bad - going NOBO you've already done about 80% of the elevation gain by the time you get to the spring. I'd much rather haul water from the spring than up the steep climb from Walker Gap going SOBO.