PDA

View Full Version : Day Hike Portion of AT in Every State in One Year

mckinney3
10-26-2015, 12:36
Hello and I hope this is "on topic" for this forum.

Our Window for THRU has closed and we are looking for an alternative quest that involves the AT.
Our 70-year old vision is:

Hike 15 miles (out and back or shuttle back) on the AT in every state in one adventure.
Camp or Cabin or Lodge at an interesting waypoint for fairly easy access to the trail for each segment.
Start at Springer - End in Baxter and fly home.
Ideal logistics are like our recent experience at Hike-Inn near Springer. Hiked in and lodged at Hike-inn, hiked to Springer plus a decent 5 miles and then back to Hike-Inn for the night and then out to parking and move on.

Any recommendations for threads will be welcome. Any recommendations on actual access and logistics will be welcome.

dan and mary

PAFranklin
10-26-2015, 12:49
Interesting idea. You wouldn't have to hike each section north bound (which is what I first thought when reading your post). You could hike each piece in whichever direction works best for logistics. Could also adjust for weather. I might consider this when I retire as my wife isn't up to the full trail or major sections.

mckinney3
10-26-2015, 13:17
@PAFranklin - Well, my original idea was to keep the NOBO theme and go in trail/state order. But I can see how flipping around might work as well. Part of our "wish" is to make it a continuous journey so our head can wrap around a "pseudo-experience." Staying in trail towns and hostels for access would add to the experience. Another example is staying in Damascus and biking the Creeper to the intersection with the AT and "doing our miles" and back. We have done this but would redo to keep the continuity thing.

joshuasdad
10-26-2015, 13:56
The lowest stress way to handle such an itinerary would be to sleep exclusively at hiker or B&B accommodations (preferably on trail), and do two day hikes which bracket the accommodation to accomplish your miles. To make things even more stress-free, end each hike either at your car or at the accommodation. This can easily be done with a single shuttle in many locations.

rafe
10-26-2015, 14:01
Interesting idea... a hiking road-trip. Given that there are 14 states, and you want to do a full day hike in each, you need to allocate 14 (or so) days of driving as well.

With some research you could surely find lodging (hostels or otherwise) that includes a shuttle to or from the trail.

I think there's only 5 miles of trail in West Virginia, by the way. :)

joshuasdad
10-26-2015, 14:22
You could eliminate driving days by staying on near borders (e.g., Damascus, Harpers Ferry, Delaware Water Gap, Hanover), but you would typically miss the best areas of each state by doing so -- with the obvious exception of Harpers Ferry, since the best of the 13 or so miles of West Virginia (there are also 8 or so WV-VA border miles rafe) would all be hiked. New England drives are typically short, so you probably wouldn't need full driving days anyway for much of the trail.

Lauriep
10-26-2015, 15:05
Dan and Mary,

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy has created a "14 State Challenge" that might be of interest to you. We haven't yet promoted it, but you might get some inspiration here: www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/day-hiking/14-state-challenge (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/day-hiking/14-state-challenge). There's even a certificate you can print out when you're done.

Laurie P.
ATC

Jeff
10-26-2015, 16:22
The lowest stress way to handle such an itinerary would be to sleep exclusively at hiker or B&B accommodations (preferably on trail).

This is a great suggestion. It allows you to immerse yourself in the hiker community....and most hikers agree, the best part of the hiking experience are the people you meet.

4eyedbuzzard
10-26-2015, 16:46
Well, you say you are looking for "15 miles out and back", but I think that likely needs to be shortened quite a bit due to the nature of the terrain in NH. A few possible suggestions from my neck of the woods (NH) for day hikes that incorporate part of the AT and get above timberline for short sections.

1) Park at Lafayette Place/Campground - Franconia Loop hike - Can be done as a day hike if you are in good shape, or a two day with a stay at Greenleaf Hut. http://sectionhiker.com/the-franconia-ridge-loop/ Incorporates part of the AT.

Another short hike at this location is the Lonesome Lake/Cascade Brook loop, which is also part of the AT. There's a short side hike to "The Basin" and Kinsman Cascades while on this hike. http://blog.nhstateparks.org/lonesome-lake-a-family-friendly-hike-in-franconia-notch-state-park/

2) Park at the Cog Railway - Mt. Washington - Take the Cog Train up to the summit early in the morning, check out the museum, weather station, get a bite to eat, etc. Leaving the summit hike north about a mile on the AT/Gulfside Trail, then down the Jewell Trail back to where you started (approx 5 miles total). As a side hike, and if you have the time and feel you can handle the added distance, you could hike south, down to Lake of the Clouds approx 1 and 1/2 miles on the AT/Crawford Path, and then back north toward the Jewell Trail, and using the Westside Trail to cut across below the summit and avoid climbing up to the top of Mt. W. again. Yes, you'll need a map, better than the one linked here http://4000footers.com/washington.shtml

I would strongly caution against taking the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, which leaves from Lake of the Clouds, down, as it is steeper, slippery, and more dangerous IMO. Do this hike only if you know the weather is forecast to be good. The Cog ticket is round trip, so if you get to the top and the conditions aren't good, or you're skeptical on hiking down, you can always ride down. Alternatively, climb up Mt. Washington via the Jewel and then see how you feel. If needed buy a one-way ticket down on the Cog (they only sell one-way rides at the top).

Another possibility is driving up to the summit of Mt. W on the auto road and then day hiking the Presidential ridge on the AT from there.

mckinney3
10-26-2015, 19:16
Thank you Rafe! We usually take a one month trip each fall and car/hike. Last year we went from LA to Seattle and hiked thru every national park in our path (Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yoesemite, Mt. Shasta, Mt Hood, Crater Lake and points along the PCT in the Carson Pass area) So I was thinking that we take a month. But that would certainly be rushed. 14 trail days and 14 drive days would be a bridge too far with no spaces for "zeroing" and enjoying the vibe. Thank you for putting the time factor into the equation.

mckinney3
10-26-2015, 19:17
This a wonderful suggestion! Thank you and I am off to buy the book!

mckinney3
10-26-2015, 19:21
Dan and Mary,

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy has created a "14 State Challenge" that might be of interest to you. We haven't yet promoted it, but you might get some inspiration here: www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/day-hiking/14-state-challenge (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/day-hiking/14-state-challenge). There's even a certificate you can print out when you're done.

Laurie P.
ATC

This is wonderful news! I am off to buy the book!

donthaveoneyet
10-26-2015, 19:34
This is a fun idea. As someone who always wanted to do a thru, but never had the time, and so had to do bits and pieces, I like it. I've been toying with getting a pop-up camper, or building out a Ford EC-250 longbed into a "camper", I might suggest doing something like that. Take your hotel room with you, as your means of travel. Park it at one end of a section, shuttle to the other, etc. Throw a canoe on the roof, and paddle the great rivers when your done.

PAFranklin
10-26-2015, 19:39
@PAFranklin - Well, my original idea was to keep the NOBO theme and go in trail/state order. But I can see how flipping around might work as well. Part of our "wish" is to make it a continuous journey so our head can wrap around a "pseudo-experience." Staying in trail towns and hostels for access would add to the experience. Another example is staying in Damascus and biking the Creeper to the intersection with the AT and "doing our miles" and back. We have done this but would redo to keep the continuity thing.

If a NB plan fits you theme then go for it. I have hiked a lot of sections in my life and my mindset had always been NB. I think I only ever hiked SB twice. But I've been planning a section hike with my daughter and son-in-law recently and the logistics work out better SB. I was sort of mentally resisting that direction and then realized it was simply my own mental limitation. Best wishes on your trip. Please post updates along the way if possible.