PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Grandfather mountain this weekend!!!Take a look at my pack list:

Lnj
10-26-2015, 13:19
We are heading out Friday after work and will night hike from the trail head to camp a little over a mile out. Hike all day Saturday down to the swinging bridge and then back up to camp Saturday night, and hike out Sunday and drive home.

This is what we have to go:

Osprey 65L pack
Synthethic MH 0 degree bag
Thermarest foam pad
Klymit V air pad
trekking poles
microspikes
GSR pocket rocket stove
4L Titanium cook pot
Freezer Bags and dinner food
Granola bars and slim jims, etc.
2 Styrofoam cups for coffee
plastic forks and spoons
2 Liter camelback hydration
1 Liter platy
1 Liter self filtering water bottle
Life Straw filter
Aqua Murine drops
Double Moment Tarptent & footprint
polyester base layer Tshirts
Darn tough socks
Glove liners
Fleece toboggan with ear covers
Synthetic (down-like) puffy coat
spandex leggings
compression shorts
Columbia convertible pants
Long sleeve polyester tshirts
toe warmers
sleep socks
camp sandals
Dr. Bronners soap
camp towel
smart phone / phone recharger
compass
cat hole digger & TP
meds
first aid kit
Ursack bear bag and paracord
chapstick
Kleenex
multitool
bic lighters
small tarp

What am I missing/forgetting?

hikernutcasey
10-26-2015, 13:24
Sounds like you've got it covered. No need to lug the microspikes around. No snow up here yet and none forecasted. Supposed to be a beautiful weekend after all this rain and clouds clear out. I would also opt for a lighter bag if you have one as it's only supposed to be in the lower 40's even on the higher peaks. Could probably do without the foam pad as well if you were taking it for insulation.

Have fun, it's awesome up there!

Alleghanian Orogeny
10-26-2015, 13:34
It appears you've modified your original plan and will start from the Boone Fork bowl area and day-hike up to the Swinging Bridge and back. Did you determine it's not possible to gain access though the main gate after closing time, and not possible to leave a vehicle there overnight?

Without having planned in advance for it, yesterday afternoon my wife and I drove up the Parkway from Spruce Pine to Deep Gap, passing the Boone Fork Trailhead and nearby trailheads and overlooks along the way. I don't remember ever seeing so many people between the main gate to Grandfather and Cone Park, up by Blowing Rock. I imagine it'll thin out some next weekend. The forecast, according to Ray's, is looking OK. Not great, but OK. And that might just hold down the crowds somewhat.

Have a good one.

AO

Lnj
10-26-2015, 13:42
Yes I did. We are starting at the north end where the office is, off the Blue Ridge Pkwy and hiking south to the bridge and back up now.

I can do the cold. If we can just keep the rain off, I think we will be fine. Its okay if it rains too. We do have pack covering ponchos as well, just in case. I just hope to not have to set up or take down camp in a down pour. I would also like to really be able to enjoy the incredible views I have seen online. I hope the rain this week doesn't knock off all the leaves and we totally miss them.

Hopefully, it being Halloween weekend, many people will have other plans and not be out in droves.

hikernutcasey
10-26-2015, 14:21
Sounds like Saturday is your main hiking day and Rays Weather says: Saturday - Increasing PM clouds; Temperatures a couple degrees warmer; High in the lower 50s; Low in the lower 40s.

Get an early start and you should be able to get some nice views.

Lnj
10-26-2015, 14:27
Yeah, that's the plan. We do also have the ponchos and headlamps for the Friday night hike in. Looks like we missed the peak leaves, but maybe there will still be a good many bright colors left to gaze upon. :)

saltysack
10-26-2015, 14:33
Styrofoam coffee cups? Doubt they will survive....that short of a hike I'd drop a few items...just my $.02....
Dr Bronner
Footprint
Leggings or pants
Digger
Kleenex or tp
Tarp
Drops or filter
Microspikes
Foam pad and 0* bag overkill imo...
Have fun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
10-26-2015, 15:20
I was considering heading into the Asheville NC area this weekend doing day hikes/simple over nighters up to Brasstown Bald in GA and Grandfather Mt in NC this weekend myself. Without looking at the leaf reports, after the rain it's my guess the peak leaf peeping period has passed with less leaves on the trees in these areas but still has some colors and good experiences to enjoy. Weather is not that problematic!

I agree with Hikernutcasey's comments. After reviewing extended weather forecasts for my own trips, in those areas similar to your trips, I would see no need for that much insulation for anyone under a sleep system in regard for warmth or the need for a 0* bag inside an enclosed HH Double Moment NOR the need for a 65 L backpack. You'll get a 10* boost in warmth being inside the tent alone.

Grandfather Mt NC- Friday afternoon into the night into the low 40's with clear skies and light westerly wind 6 mph. Watch your footing after the rain on the wet leaf covered trail especially a night. Saturday sunny skies, clear, high 60*, low 45*. By all weather website accounts a BEAUTIFUL DAY. Sunday overcast and cloudy with 40-50% of daytime rain showers, high 55* low 45*, winds light an variable.

If this is the only gear you have so be it. You're still getting out! You're not hiking LD anyhow. BUT, IF you have gear choices lower the wt of your kit. It would help with a more comfortable hike especially with some elevation changes on wet trail covered with leaves, roots, rocks, and wooden trail construction. Taking only one of your sleep pads and a 20* bag would suffice and likely snowball into the need for a lower volume, hopefully lighter wt, more comfortable to handle backpack. IT COULD allow taking along some comfort drinks and LIVE foods.

Maybe, I'll see you. Have a happy hike.

Lnj
10-26-2015, 15:22
Styrofoam coffee cups? Doubt they will survive....that short of a hike I'd drop a few items...just my $.02....
Dr Bronner
Footprint
Leggings or pants
Digger
Kleenex or tp
Tarp
Drops or filter
Microspikes
Foam pad and 0* bag overkill imo...
Have fun...

Well this is a shake down hike and my first ever overnight backpacking trip so I will definitely be taking your advice.[QUOTE=saltysack;2014319]Styrofoam coffee cups? Doubt they will survive.... Yeah, maybe I grab a mug instead . that short of a hike I'd drop a few items...just my $.02....
Dr Bronner - dropping, too short a trip to really bathe
Footprint - for protection of my tent and air sleeping pad.
Leggings or pants - convertible pants to hike in, but leggings are to sleep in.
Digger - LNT, I'm sure I will definitely need it if I don't take it.
Kleenex or tp - Got to. My nose runs steadily no matter what the weather is like.
Tarp - dropping
Drops or filter - dropping the filter
Microspikes - dropping
Foam pad and 0* bag overkill imo... - The foam pad is as much for comfort as heat. Side sleeper. Need more padding and also to protect the air pad from punctures.
Have fun...
THANKS!! I can't WAIT... and I'm a little scared :)

misterfloyd
10-26-2015, 15:30
Grandfather mountain is truly an adult playground, and you are catching at at a good time.

Yes the weather gets really nasty up there but, not this weekend. The trails are clearly marked and you should really have no problem. There are a few ladders and cables to make it fun, and the view is crazy good on a clear day. The map you can get from the NC park service is a good one and really all you need.

I'll be in the gorge car camping since I'm on a bum foot.

Have a great time
Floyd

Lnj
10-26-2015, 15:30
Since I am just gathering my gear for the first time now... I don't have many gear choices. This is the only sleeping bag I have. I figure, if I'm hot I can open my doors and air out some and/or sleep on top of it instead of in it. I am actually gearing up for a longer section hike at the end of May (9/10 days), so I also only have the big pack. This will be an experimental hike for me, as its my first time to try everything out. I know it will be too heavy, but that will work in my favor for conditioning purposes. I guess I look at it, if I can do something the hardest possible way, then I have no worries.

I am so excited I can hardly stand it. There will next to no work done by me this week.

Dogwood
10-26-2015, 15:33
The Klymit V is not a particularly fragile inflatable pad. Considering you do a quick inspection for pointy debris in your tent pad area and you are using a tent footprint and inside a tent with both the footprint and tent floor between the ground and your Klymit V you should be fine. I've slept quite comfortably on a Klymit Static V as a side sleeper toss and turner.

Lnj
10-26-2015, 15:42
The Klymit V is not a particularly fragile inflatable pad. Considering you do a quick inspection for pointy debris in your tent pad area and you are using a tent footprint and inside a tent with both the footprint and tent floor between the ground and your Klymit V you should be fine. I've slept quite comfortably on a Klymit Static V as a side sleeper toss and turner.

Yeah, I am kind of a rotisserie sleeper myself. I may consider leaving the foam pad behind. It's really huge and I am going to look like a have another adult on my back if I carry it. We will have many more weekend hikes between now and May to try it out, so I may leave it this time.

Venchka
10-26-2015, 16:25
A partridge.
A pear tree.

Where are you planning to park/start hiking?
Do you have any experience using the parking and trail head on the highway just NE of the turn off to Banner Elk? Near Foscoe, NC?
Are you entering the state park somewhere else?

Gear list: if you're missing something I don't think that you will miss it.

Curious to know if you needed the Zero bag and actual low temperatures.

Have a great hike.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Lnj
10-26-2015, 17:21
Wayne,
We know the vicinity of where we want to park but are still undecided. Is experience required to park anywhere near the trailhead? We are just looking for free, convenient parking where we can easily access the permit needed to be filed before we head out.

No I probably don't need a zero bag, as the temps are forecasted to be in the 40s, but I can get cooler if I am too warm. If I am too cold, I am stuck. I err'd on the side of caution. I intend to hike more in the winter so it may come in handy later on.

saltysack
10-26-2015, 17:32
Well this is a shake down hike and my first ever overnight backpacking trip so I will definitely be taking your advice.[QUOTE=saltysack;2014319]Styrofoam coffee cups? Doubt they will survive.... Yeah, maybe I grab a mug instead . that short of a hike I'd drop a few items...just my $.02....
Dr Bronner - dropping, too short a trip to really bathe
Footprint - for protection of my tent and air sleeping pad.
Leggings or pants - convertible pants to hike in, but leggings are to sleep in.
Digger - LNT, I'm sure I will definitely need it if I don't take it.
Kleenex or tp - Got to. My nose runs steadily no matter what the weather is like.
Tarp - dropping
Drops or filter - dropping the filter
Microspikes - dropping
Foam pad and 0* bag overkill imo... - The foam pad is as much for comfort as heat. Side sleeper. Need more padding and also to protect the air pad from punctures.
Have fun...
THANKS!! I can't WAIT... and I'm a little scared :)

If you want a Lt wt cheap coffee cup the reusable ones Starbucks sell for $2 or good...

Lnj
10-26-2015, 17:56
Great idea Salty! Thanks. Just for this trip, I wanted something that would last a couple of days, but be fine to chunk afterwards. A titanium cup is on my "to-get" list for the longer stretches and the upcoming AT.

Alleghanian Orogeny
10-26-2015, 18:02
A partridge.
A pear tree.

Where are you planning to park/start hiking?
Do you have any experience using the parking and trail head on the highway just NE of the turn off to Banner Elk? Near Foscoe, NC?
Are you entering the state park somewhere else?

Gear list: if you're missing something I don't think that you will miss it.

Curious to know if you needed the Zero bag and actual low temperatures.

Have a great hike.

Wayne

If I've followed the OP's plans correctly, the plan is to overnight inside the State Park lands which are within the headwaters of Boone Fork Creek. The trailhead near the NC 105/NC 184 junction at Linville Gap is the Profile Trail. The Profile Trail goes directly to the crest ridge and would require summiting the mountain after picking up 2,000', then losing that 2,000' to get down to the campsites within Boone Fork's bowl. The OP plans to start from the Parkway, hike in the short distance to the group of campsites, set up camp, hike up to and along the Crest to the Swinging Bridge area on Saturday, and return to camp in the Bowl on Saturday afternoon for a second overnight.

It's an easy walk with little elevation gain from the parking area on the Parkway up to any of the designated campsites within the Bowl.

The color is fading fast at and above about 3,000'. That said, there is so much territory below 3,000' which is visible from the Crest peaks and especially from the Crag Way leading out of the Bowl up to the Crest that my bet is that a fog-free day at just under 6,000' will provide lots and lots of color. We spent Friday and Saturday in the vicinity of Asheville and Hot Springs (where Asheville is just over 2,000' and Hot Springs under 1,400') and the colors there were peaking or just about to. And the views from GF are superlative without autumn color. What you're really hoping for is cloud ceilings well above 6,000' to the views are not obscured in the immediate vicinity or looking southwest to the Black Mountains. On Sunday, both Mt Mitchell in the Blacks and Grandfather were in the clouds up top for the roughly noon-3pm time frame while I was passing through from Hot Springs to Spruce Pine to Deep Gap to Raleigh. Surely the Roan Highlands, Unaka Mtn, Big Bald, etc were the same. I thought there'd be places I'd see Unaka and Roan from US 19 between Mars Hill and Burnsville/Spruce Pine, but I never saw either, likely due to clouds up top.

Have a great weekend lnj!

AO

saltysack
10-26-2015, 18:28
Great idea Salty! Thanks. Just for this trip, I wanted something that would last a couple of days, but be fine to chunk afterwards. A titanium cup is on my "to-get" list for the longer stretches and the upcoming AT.

I used to carry a pot and a cup but mostly solo so my sp 600 ti mug works fine to heat water for freezer bag and later use for coffee etc...

Venchka
10-26-2015, 19:59
Wayne,
We know the vicinity of where we want to park but are still undecided. Is experience required to park anywhere near the trailhead? We are just looking for free, convenient parking where we can easily access the permit needed to be filed before we head out.

No I probably don't need a zero bag, as the temps are forecasted to be in the 40s, but I can get cooler if I am too warm. If I am too cold, I am stuck. I err'd on the side of caution. I intend to hike more in the winter so it may come in handy later on.

I know nothing. I was hoping that you knew about the HWY 105 entrance and trails. I think misterfloyd might know about that side of the park. I'll give him a shout if my grandson and I can get on the trail for a night or two.
Good luck.

Wayne

Venchka
10-26-2015, 21:19
There's no place to camp near Hwy 105? If this trip happens, it will be next summer when my grandson finishes school. So, snow days dependent. We can come in from the BRP, but 105 is more convenient from Boone.
Pondering and planning. Thanks y'all. Hope I didn't hijack too much.

Wayne

Grits
10-26-2015, 21:25
The Scout Trail head at mile post 299.5 on the parkway is at the Boones Fork parking area and is safe and free. The kiosk at the trail head has the sign in sheets as well as maps. The Profile trailhead on hwy 105 has the same. http://www.grandfather.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Trail-map.pdf It is first come camping you might get lucky everything has been full the last couple of weekends. East side trails:The most camp sites are on the Nuwati trail and good water. The Daniel boone camp site on the camp trail has the only water on the scout trail. The Briar patch and Hi Balsam shelter are dry. West Side profile trail has shanty spring for water above the profile camp site which is limited for camping. Remember the miles on the Grandfather trail are more like Linville Gorge miles not AT miles. Takes about 2 hours if you are a strong hiker just to get to the top and going across the grandfather trail is really tough with the load you are going to be carrying and no water. State Park Office # for camp site availability is 828-963-9522 and I would suggest for weather look at the Beach Mountain site of boone weather because it is the closest to the temps you will experience. http://averyweather.com/Forecast/Beech+Mountain# The rain today an tomorrow will bring down what leaves are left above the parkway above 3500 ft. I was in Wilson's Creek last weekend and Linville Gorge this weekend and the colors were great. You will be looking down on them. Enjoy your hike!!!!!

Alleghanian Orogeny
10-27-2015, 05:55
We can come in from the BRP, but 105 is more convenient from Boone.

Wayne,
That depends on where in Boone you depart from. It can be an easy run over to the BRP/US 321/221 junction and an easy 8 miles to the Boone Fork trailhead. Crossing Boone and going out NC 105 can be congested, especially in the late afternoon.

AO

Venchka
10-27-2015, 08:04
Wayne,
That depends on where in Boone you depart from. It can be an easy run over to the BRP/US 321/221 junction and an easy 8 miles to the Boone Fork trailhead. Crossing Boone and going out NC 105 can be congested, especially in the late afternoon.

AO

How well I know. Grid Lock in Boone. I reckon we can do either approach route. Too early to tell right now. I'm just glad to learn that there are trails conveniently located near where we will be staying.

Wayne

Tennessee Viking
10-27-2015, 08:11
Its been a couple years since I walked Grandfather so NC SP may have improved the trails since my visit. I went from Boone Fork to just past Hi-Balsam Shelter until I turned due to lightning strikes. There were some spots that were either missing ladders or ropes.

But my opinion Boone Fork is the best parking area and most accessible trailhead. There are some streamside camping within a mile along the Nuwati. Profile is the other trailhead but its a long steep climb to the first campsite.

Depending on your final pack wait, the Cragway requires some tricky and tight step ups. But the views are worthy. The Scout trail near Boone Fork is very wooded; no views but its the easiest to climb if its dry. Muddy if its wet.

The FlatRock/Boone site is probably the biggest camping area on that side of the mountain. Then its switchback hell (several never ending switchbacks) to Briar Patch and a steep rock scramble to the ridgeline. HiBalsam is small but the view is nice if clear.

Expect some good frost and cold wet rain. The trails can get very wet fast.