PDA

View Full Version : 2016 thru footwear for late-March start

ecp2691
10-26-2015, 15:16
Hey all,

My first real question to the community. I'm preparing for a 2016 thru NOBO looking at a late-March start. I've got a fairly light kit put together and wondering about footwear right now. In the past I've hiked in real heavy goretex Danner Light II's (4lb/pair). These are good at keeping water out and in winter, but are a bit of a footsore on longer days. I can't see myself being too happy hiking in these day after day when I hit the trail.

I've been doing all my running for 2 years now in Merrell Trail Glove 1's and really love them. I also took them out this October for 2 and a half days on the AT in southern MA and my feet were the happiest they've ever been while hiking. I can really see the advantage of hiking in lighter trail shoes, and the rocks/impact didn't seem to give me any trouble.

I want to use a similar shoe with a bit more cushion (Merrell Bare Access Trail) for my thru but have reservations about using anything other than boots in the late winter. I'm considering pairing them with some goretex socks however and testing them this winter. Of course I could always start with a more waterproof shoe and switch them out, but would prefer to stick with an option lighter than boots while still saving $$.

Anyone have any experience or advice they can lend?
Thanks

nsherry61
10-26-2015, 17:39
Use the below system for the worst, coldest, wetest and snowiest conditions and just the inner sock and barrier layer when it's not quite so cold, and just the liner sock, and shoe, and gaiter when you don't mind wet feet.

1) Wool or poly liner sock next to foot
2) Waterproof bag/sock as vapor barrier over liner sock
3) Insulating thicker sock
4) Waterproof outer layer (bag or sock)
5) Favorite trail shoe, preferably with decent tread
6) Dirty girl gator or other ankel-high gaiter

Dance down the trail with happy feet!

Dogwood
10-26-2015, 18:36
I like that you're 1) considering lighter wt more comfortable hiking shoes compared to the other end of the spectrum with 2 lb each Danner Light II's 2) doing some shoe testing out in the real world pre AT thru-hike.

You don't share what version of Merrell Bare Access shoes you are considering for your AT NOBO thru-hike. BA 3, BA 4, Ultra, Trail Runner, etc. With the lightest wt versions you're looking at a sub 7 oz each shoe. That has pros and cons in respect to thru-hiking the AT with a "light kit." It's my best guess based on what you shared the BA Ultras or Trail Runners MIGHT work for you.

It's my opinion that going out for a weekend hike with a very light kit in Merrell Trail Gloves on maintained cushy/softer trail is one thing, that gives you glimpses into LD thru-hiking use, it is not exactly the same. On a LD thru you're on your feet much more in a more consistent day in day out scenario with normally a higher kit wt.

It seems you are concerned about the definite cold, wetness, and mush/slush and possible snow. GOOD! If you want to rock the BAs look at the Ultras or Trail Runners in non WP versions buying a full 1/2 to one size larger for the start. Pair with a Gortex or WP sock. I like, and would consider based on your input, something like pairing the BA Ultras with a HANZ Lightweight WP Crew length sock or the same sock in HANZ's Chillblocker version. Carry one pr of these and a crew length merino sock for your start.

http://www.hanzusa.com/waterproofsocks/

For early spring cold starts I like replacing my cheap stock swiss cheese thick crappy footbeds with an after market footbed/orthotic for several reasons: 1) the othotics more readily support my feet charcteristics(high arch, heel cup, etc. 2) they add greater insulation from the cold underfoot 3) they provide more cush underfoot when my feet may not be LD trail tough hardened to rocky trail

At some pt, as it warms up, send these WP socks home and switch out to two shorter ankle or mid crew length socks while continuing with the 1/2 - one size larger BA Ultras or Trail Runners to allow for your expanding foot size through the heat on a LD hike.

You might also consider teaming up that combination with a shortie gaiter for the first month or so until the snow risks diminish. I would like something like a Shortie highly water resistant Schoeller fabric gaiter like REI and others make. Send em home when done.

http://www.rei.com/product/856690/rei-trail-running-gaiters
http://www.rei.com/product/852794/outdoor-research-rocky-mountain-low-gaiters

BTW, I know some get through AT thru-hikes with plastic bags over their feet inside their shoes. I've done it too when in a dirt bagging it pinch(pun intended). Choosing this approach can have drawbacks or pros and cons too! Plastic bags provide virtually no insulation from the cold, are impermeable easily inducing sweaty and emaciated skin that can easily lead to additional foot problems if not adequately prevented and addressed, and don't usually last long getting holes in them some where quickly as an AT thru-hiker.

Dogwood
10-26-2015, 18:39
For early spring cold starts I like replacing my cheap stock swiss cheese thin crappy footbeds with an after market footbed/orthotic for several reasons:

Damn spellchecker.

ecp2691
10-27-2015, 18:10
Really helpful replies guys, thanks.

NSherry, I like the layering system you describe. I hadn't thought of components 1) and 2) but it makes sense to keep your thicker insulating sock sweat free. I'll have to try it out since I wonder about the bulkiness of all the components combined. Of course, thats only an issue on the coldest days.

Dogwood, the shoe I was referencing is the Bare Access "Trail" version. http://www.merrell.com/US/en/bare-access-trail/17265M.html
Actually they are on sale now for a good bit off (must be making way for 2016 model) so I snagged a pair in size 14 (one size up for me) today at 50% off on Amazon -- my lucky day.

It's my opinion that going out for a weekend hike with a very light kit in Merrell Trail Gloves on maintained cushy/softer trail is one thing, that gives you glimpses into LD thru-hiking use, it is not exactly the same. On a LD thru you're on your feet much more in a more consistent day in day out scenario with normally a higher kit wt.
Good point. I am sort of taking a leap of faith by going for the, as you said, other end of the spectrum from the Danner boots. I'm planning on doing some longer walks in varied weather to see if these minimalist shoes are going to work. LD hiking is a whole other animal though, so I'm planning on a week long trip just before Turkey Day in CT/NY. Hopefully the cold and the solitude will give me an AT reality check (weather on my trips all summer has been perfect) and also give me something more concrete to daydream about at work before I leave from GA. But a longer shakedown should help sort out if the footwear and gear I have for my start is going to be adequate or not.

I looked at those Hanz socks -- it seems like they are the same company as makes the SealSkinz socks. Have you used these socks before? Someone mentioned they have an annoying seam running down the top and bottom center of the foot.

As far as gaiters, I recently got a pair of Dirty Girls (used them on last trip, but it was dry). They seem to repel faucet water well enough, but prolonged rain/sleet/snow I have no idea.

ecp2691
10-30-2015, 09:05
I keep hearing about feet swelling and permanently getting bigger during/after a thru hike. Anyone with large feet (I'm size 13, 13.5) have experience with this? Wondering if the effect isn't so pronounced in people with large feet.

Anyways, the size 14 Bare Access Trails fit really well, plenty of room for sock layers underneath and still comfy to walk in sockless, which is how I normally run. Not sure if the larger size might lead to blisters if my feet stay the same size on the trail.