PDA

View Full Version : GA Section Hike Recon: Blue Ridge Gap parking

Uncle Joe
10-27-2015, 13:00
So since I'm down with a gimpy back and unable to finish out my GA section hike for another couple of weeks I decided to do some recon in the SUV. I headed up to Tray Mountain first to get a look at where the AT crosses the forest road then down Indian Grave Gap to check out that crossing too. My daughter and her BF may want to join me on this section so I wanted to get an idea of where they could intersect with me. It looks like driving to the Tray Mnt trailhead is trivial as is the road to Indian Grave Gap where Andrews Cove Trail intersects it. Saw a nice little cluster of bears on the drive down Indian Grave too which was cool!

The next area I wanted to recon was Charlies Creek Rd. at Blue Ridge Gap. You can get there by taking Upper Hightower Rd. off Hwy 76. I've seen some footage of Jeeps traversing this road and wanted to see if you could drive in via SUV at least to the AT crossing. The road seemed easy enough to that point, actually. There is one group of rocks within the first few hundred yards but easily traversable to the right. My Subaru Outback cleared it find and a couple of other SUV's were parked near the AT crossing. This is good because if you want to finish at the GA/NC line and would like a point to backtrack to and park a car this is a good place, though there's only room for maybe 1-2 vehicles right at the crossing. There are some turnouts along the way, though. I'd recommend parking there and going out the way you came. The road from that point East is fairly treacherous and a popular Jeep route. I managed it in my Outback but conditions were largely dry and the river crossing at the end was shallow. There is a huge water hole about halfway through too that is tricky to get around. I plan to make Blue Ridge Gap a pick up point, though, when I finish the GA section.

Lev
10-27-2015, 14:37
jpolk,

Wife and brother-in-law are tagging along with me this weekend on this very stretch. Starting at Unicoi Gap and hoping to finish at the GA/NC line to finish all of the AT in GA. (We did the approach trail also at Springer Mtn).

So you're saying we have to backtrack back to Hwy 76 if we leave a car at each location ? How far is it from the state line to the parking area ? Any info appreciated.

Lev
10-27-2015, 15:16
Upon further research, it seems it's about 9 miles backtracking. Guess we'll have to figure out what to do

Uncle Joe
10-27-2015, 15:22
No I'm saying you could leave a vehicle at Blue Ridge Gap and backtrack to there. Which would save you backtracking to Dick's Creek Gap (Hwy 76). If you take 76 West past the Top of GA Hostel the road drops into a small valley and Upper Hightower Rd. turns to the RIGHT. If you take that back until it turns gravel and veers kind of to the right that starts Charlies Creek Rd which intersects the AT. I would suggest taking an SUV just because there are some rocks about 5-6" out of the ground in spots but the road is otherwise drivable. From Blue Ridge Gap to the GA/NC line is only about 2-3mi I believe.

Lev
10-27-2015, 15:51
Got it ! Found it on Google maps too. Definitely gonna hit it up this weekend, if the rain situation doesn't worsen. Now comes the question of security of leaving the car there.

Uncle Joe
10-27-2015, 15:56
Got it ! Found it on Google maps too. Definitely gonna hit it up this weekend, if the rain situation doesn't worsen. Now comes the question of security of leaving the car there.

Yeah I don't know about security there. There was a Toyota parked there when I was there and another vehicle just before then. FWIW, I know there's a video out there of a guy who left his vehicle there several days.

skater
10-27-2015, 16:11
I was up there last weekend. At that time, it was quite passable. With the rain this week, there might be some slick spots but should be fine once it dries.

ChrisJackson
10-27-2015, 16:47
Got dropped off there Saturday morning. Suburban made it all the way up.

theoilman
10-27-2015, 19:03
This time last year it was passable ONLY to a very high clearance 4WD.
A week and a half ago, any 4WD and many 2WD trucks could easily get there. I was shuttled by a small front wheel drive car and made it over half way up (A dozen jeeps and hummers were coming and we caught a ride the rest of the way).

saltysack
10-27-2015, 19:44
Deep gap closest to ga/nc border also off 76?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mockernut
10-27-2015, 20:55
The road was recently graded and rebuilt from the 4WD destruction it had suffered the past few years. This spring it was barely passable in a 4WD. I'm hopeful that it will stay drivable but the only reason the road was repaired was because the buried cables had become exposed in multiple locations. It is my understanding that this road is not on a regular repair schedule.

The good news is that even when the road to Blue Ridge Gap is in really bad shape, you can still park about a mile down and hike up.

theoilman
10-27-2015, 21:40
Water from Blue Ridge gap to NOC is great - water everywhere on maps and Awol guide plus more.

Uncle Joe
10-27-2015, 22:00
The road was recently graded and rebuilt from the 4WD destruction it had suffered the past few years. This spring it was barely passable in a 4WD. I'm hopeful that it will stay drivable but the only reason the road was repaired was because the buried cables had become exposed in multiple locations. It is my understanding that this road is not on a regular repair schedule.

The good news is that even when the road to Blue Ridge Gap is in really bad shape, you can still park about a mile down and hike up.

It looked like some of the "shortcuts" along that road had been barricaded too.

Uncle Joe
10-27-2015, 22:04
Deep gap closest to ga/nc border also off 76?

Not sure what you're asking but Deep Gap is not the closest to the border. Perhaps you mean Dick's Creek? Deep Gap is about halfway between Addis Gap and Dick's Creek. Blue Ridge Gap is north of Dick's Creek and probably the closest forest road to the border that intersects the AT. Certainly on the GA side.

saltysack
10-27-2015, 22:08
Not sure what you're asking but Deep Gap is not the closest to the border. Perhaps you mean Dick's Creek? Deep Gap is about halfway between Addis Gap and Dick's Creek. Blue Ridge Gap is north of Dick's Creek and probably the closest forest road to the border that intersects the AT. Certainly on the GA side.

Nevermind....im recalling the piece I need to complete for ga-nc stops at deep gap....

Lev
11-02-2015, 17:43
Been there this weekend. There was an F150 parked there when I got there on Saturday.
Road is okay for any SUV to pass up from Upper Hightower Road to the Blue Ridge Gap. One spot was a bit rocky, a couple big rocks to the left, but if you stay to the right, you'll be okay. Even a 4wd passenger car should be able to make it up. Not sure about the road past the gap, though.

Parking is for 2, maybe 3 cars, although the place seemed like it wasn't busy with traffic at all. I believe it was 0.8 miles from where the blacktop ends to the top.