PDA

View Full Version : Help with packing 55l Osprey

Boo-Yah
10-27-2015, 13:27
I took overnight hike and it seemed like my 55l pack was just about stuffed full. I am wondering if I will have problems on muliple day section hikes on AT?
Here is what I had packed
20 degree down top and bottom quilt from HammockGear on bottom in water proof sack (not compression), tough to get in but I mash it down pretty good.
BBXLC hammock
Super Fly tarp
Small bag with long sleeve shirt, extra pair of socks
Small pot with alcohol stove inside.
2 dehydrate meals and spork in ziplock bag.
Stakes and chords in small sack
Water bladder in back with 2 liters

In top two pockets on top
Pack Rain Cover
Poncho still in 4X2X2 package
Snacks - cliff bars, energy cubes
Head Lamp
few other small items

I do have a breathable pouch on front that is good for putting wet things in that need to dry out, very tight but it does stretch a little, I hade bandanna or wool beanie in there, on way back I put in tarp

Top of Pack was almost full

1. do I put quilts in without sack? are they easier to mash down further? If I put them in disposal bag for rain, does that hinder lessening their volume?
2. Am I pretty close to what I need for 4 days on AT other than more food, concerned about space for that?
3. Suggestions?

Uncle Joe
10-27-2015, 13:35
I put a trash bag in my pack as a liner then my sleeping bag goes in the bottom loose. This way the bag can fill in the nooks in the bag. You might find you get a bit more room that way as opposed to putting your quilt in a sack.

MamaBear
10-27-2015, 16:54
Might want to try compression sacks for the quilts, it will get the size down consistently.

Is the water bladder in the pocket inside the main compartment? I know Osprey has those pockets for the water bladders, I own a "few". I have found that not using a bladder in that pocket greatly improves the volume in the main compartment because the water is taking up space, too. I just use old gatorade bottles for water and have an additional bladder that I carry to gather and treat extra water at night.

shakey_snake
10-28-2015, 00:15
Honestly, no way that amount of stuff should take up 55L. You sure you didn't need to loosen some compression straps somewhere?

Boo-Yah
10-29-2015, 10:46
Honestly, no way that amount of stuff should take up 55L. You sure you didn't need to loosen some compression straps somewhere?

I am pretty sure I did, I am going to try to stuff it without that bag I put them in, I think that kept me from being able to press quilts as well as they could be compressed. I will check straps too, I know I loosened several.

Boo-Yah
10-29-2015, 10:48
Might want to try compression sacks for the quilts, it will get the size down consistently.

Is the water bladder in the pocket inside the main compartment? I know Osprey has those pockets for the water bladders, I own a "few". I have found that not using a bladder in that pocket greatly improves the volume in the main compartment because the water is taking up space, too. I just use old gatorade bottles for water and have an additional bladder that I carry to gather and treat extra water at night.

So you just carry gatorade bottles on you hips?

saltysack
10-29-2015, 11:12
Not sure I'd ever trust a bladder inside a pack!!! Met 2 guys on JMT who both had 2 brand new osprey packs who's bladders leaked into there packs....ill stick to good old Gatorade or sw bottles in side pockets...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MamaBear
10-29-2015, 16:03
So you just carry gatorade bottles on you hips?

I carry the bottles in the side pockets of the pack, on the outside.