PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to store a synthetic bag in the stuff sack that it came in?

Lnj
10-27-2015, 13:40
I know you can't do that with down, but is synthetic different?

HooKooDooKu
10-27-2015, 14:16
Same thing with synthetic. You want to either store it in the LARGE storage sack it came in, or even better, store it hanging.

nsherry61
10-27-2015, 14:21
Storing your synthetic bag loosely is even MORE important than storing your down loosely. Down recovers from compression much better than synthetics.

Lnj
10-27-2015, 14:33
And what time frame constitutes "storage"? I got my bag about a week or so and got it out and played with it, then rolled it back up and stuffed it back in stuff sack it came in. Then I put it in my pack. This weekend I will be using it. Can I keep it packed up until Friday night with no problem or do I have to wait and pack it up on Friday right before I leave?

bigcranky
10-27-2015, 14:39
Other way around. Storing it stuffed will absolutely kill a synthetic bag dead.

Storing a good quality down bag stuffed may have some detrimental effect in the long run, but it can usually be fluffed up with some work.

Lnj
10-27-2015, 14:40
So you think I killed it already?

bigcranky
10-27-2015, 14:41
Addendum: I would be okay leaving my down bag stuffed for a week, but I won't do that with a synthetic bag.

Best thing to do is store it in a very large cotton drawstring bag; many sleeping bags come with one of these. Or lay it out under your bed (unless you have cats :)).

bigcranky
10-27-2015, 14:41
So you think I killed it already?

No. Not this quickly. But don't leave it. :)

Lnj
10-27-2015, 14:43
Lets assume I totally killed it. What does that mean exactly? Its a zero bag. Does that mean it will now be a 30* bag instead or even less warm? What is it like to sleep in a dead bag?

Feral Bill
10-27-2015, 14:50
I had one of the earlier "good" synthetic bags. It slowly lost loft until it was useless in all but warm weather (was a 10 degree bag). I stored it properly, for the most part. So, keep it fully fluffed when not using it, and expect to replace it in a few years. I'm happily back in the down camp.

slbirdnerd
10-27-2015, 14:53
I store all my bags and quilts, down or synthetic, in those huge mesh sports ball bags form the sporting goods store. I put an S-biner on the top and hang them from the shelf in the spare closet.

Lnj
10-27-2015, 14:55
I can live with a few years. It was expensive and is brand new, so I am worried I ruined it already. I will take it out and hang it up as soon as I get home today, but I really need it to work for me this weekend. I can probably replace it before my AT section in May, if I have to.

Dogwood
10-27-2015, 15:04
She killed it. Sleeping bag killer strikes again. :p

Naw, it's OK. Don't jam it down and stuff it into a teenie tiny sack long term.

You've been given a reprieve.

Water Rat
10-27-2015, 15:06
I can live with a few years. It was expensive and is brand new, so I am worried I ruined it already. I will take it out and hang it up as soon as I get home today, but I really need it to work for me this weekend. I can probably replace it before my AT section in May, if I have to.

It will work for this weekend and you should not have to replace it before May (as long as you properly store it after this). You did not "kill" it that fast! Just hang it, lay it flat, or store it in a mesh bag after this and you should be good to go.

It'll be okay! :)

Odd Man Out
10-27-2015, 15:09
I have heard that one can refluff a down bag with some tennis balls is a dryer (no heat). Would that also work with a synthetic bag that could use some refluffing?

Lnj
10-27-2015, 15:11
Ok. Will do. How do you do this on a long section or thru hike? That's kind of long term. Does getting it out every night nullify the damage of squishing into a pack or stuff sack?

Lnj
10-27-2015, 15:13
It will work for this weekend and you should not have to replace it before May (as long as you properly store it after this). You did not "kill" it that fast! Just hang it, lay it flat, or store it in a mesh bag after this and you should be good to go.

It'll be okay! :)

Oh THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, Water Rat! It suppose to get nippy in the NC mountains this weekend. I was getting a little sick thinking about having reduced my zero bag to a thin sheet.

Just Bill
10-27-2015, 15:49
What is the fill in your bag? (Or make and model)

Some misinformation here:

For all synthetic bags-
You can permanently lose performance every time you over compress your synthetic bag.
You can lose up to 25% of the warmth the first time you compress the bag. (You can kill it).
You should never use a compression stuff sack on a synthetic bag. In theory the stuff sack that came with it is correctly sized.
Ideal storage is similar to down, with laid flat being the best. But synthetic is less prone to mildew, musty odors, etc.

That said- putting it into the stuff sack it came with for a short period of time is not that big a deal.

Think of synthetics like an SOS pad (steel wool)- each time you use it hard, it breaks down a bit.
Durability of synthetics is much improved in recent years and the fibers are much more flexible than they used to be.
Continuous filament models wear faster than short staple fills.

My personal experience- if you don't compress your synthetics (just loose stuff them into your pack last to fill holes):
The best continuous filament synthetic- Climbashield Apex- loses about 5% (say 5 degrees) per season (60-100 nights)
The best short staple synthetic- Primaloft Gold- I have yet to see a degradation in performance over 75+ nights.

I have over compressed PL Gold several times as well, and have yet to notice a performance drop off and it packs to half the size of APEX. It's pretty neat stuff and the line is finally getting blurry.

Lnj
10-27-2015, 15:56
What is the fill in your bag? (Or make and model)

Some misinformation here:

For all synthetic bags-
You can permanently lose performance every time you over compress your synthetic bag.
You can lose up to 25% of the warmth the first time you compress the bag. (You can kill it).
You should never use a compression stuff sack on a synthetic bag. In theory the stuff sack that came with it is correctly sized.
Ideal storage is similar to down, with laid flat being the best. But synthetic is less prone to mildew, musty odors, etc.

That said- putting it into the stuff sack it came with for a short period of time is not that big a deal.

Think of synthetics like an SOS pad (steel wool)- each time you use it hard, it breaks down a bit.
Durability of synthetics is much improved in recent years and the fibers are much more flexible than they used to be.
Continuous filament models wear faster than short staple fills.

My personal experience- if you don't compress your synthetics (just loose stuff them into your pack last to fill holes):
The best continuous filament synthetic- Climbashield Apex- loses about 5% (say 5 degrees) per season (60-100 nights)
The best short staple synthetic- Primaloft Gold- I have yet to see a degradation in performance over 75+ nights.

I have over compressed PL Gold several times as well, and have yet to notice a performance drop off and it packs to half the size of APEX. It's pretty neat stuff and the line is finally getting blurry.

It's a Mountain Hardwear Bozeman Torch bag. The fill is: Thermal Q Thermic MX Insulation

Just Bill
10-27-2015, 16:21
They (MH) doesn't list that stuff on the site anymore, can't find an old tech sheet for it.
And a $140 4lb synthetic likely means it's a few generations old as well.
It's a continuous filament- just with two different filament sizes apparently.
It's probably in the mid to bottom of current synthetics.

Good News- doubt you trashed it.
And it was $140.

Bad News- be skeptical of synthetic bags claiming near zero. It's a bit hard to do with synthetics...
Test it if possible before you trust it- try to get some tune-ups at blood mountain or as high up and chilly as you can get in your area this winter.

Lnj
10-28-2015, 11:13
They (MH) doesn't list that stuff on the site anymore, can't find an old tech sheet for it.
And a $140 4lb synthetic likely means it's a few generations old as well.
It's a continuous filament- just with two different filament sizes apparently.
It's probably in the mid to bottom of current synthetics.

Good News- doubt you trashed it.
And it was $140.

Bad News- be skeptical of synthetic bags claiming near zero. It's a bit hard to do with synthetics...
Test it if possible before you trust it- try to get some tune-ups at blood mountain or as high up and chilly as you can get in your area this winter.

I plan to do just that. Truth is, I am very hot natured and probably will never actually need a zero bag, but I always try to buy a little more than needed, just in case. The MH site said it was a zero, but the stuff sack says 4*F, so...? It's just supposed to be really warm is all. :) Thanks Bill!

MuddyWaters
10-28-2015, 12:24
Every time you stuff a synthetic bag, you degrade it some. By the time its been stuffed 50 times, its supposed to be noticeably degraded. Ive read that even as useful life of synthetic before. (For rated temp use)

Kookork
10-28-2015, 13:41
I had a thread about reviving a compressed and degraded sleeping bag to almost brand new by using steam couple of years ago.
It was about down sleeping bags but since then I have used the same method for my two old synthetic sleeping bags and it has revived them as good as new .

Basically , you force hot steam by using one of the steam machines( mine is a Tobi) through your sleeping bag from one side until the steam comes out from the other side and the compressed bag puffs like new again in front of your eyes. It revitalizes your bag in ten minutes. I have not used this method for primaloft material but one can test the steam in a very small area to see what it does to primaloft. I can't imagine that it reacts differently from other synthetics.

Lnj
10-28-2015, 15:19
I had a thread about reviving a compressed and degraded sleeping bag to almost brand new by using steam couple of years ago.
It was about down sleeping bags but since then I have used the same method for my two old synthetic sleeping bags and it has revived them as good as new .

Basically , you force hot steam by using one of the steam machines( mine is a Tobi) through your sleeping bag from one side until the steam comes out from the other side and the compressed bag puffs like new again in front of your eyes. It revitalizes your bag in ten minutes. I have not used this method for primaloft material but one can test the steam in a very small area to see what it does to primaloft. I can't imagine that it reacts differently from other synthetics.

Ooooohhh.... and probably kills germs too!!! Awesome. I can definitely do that!