PDA

View Full Version : Mold on tent

parothed_1
12-05-2005, 14:29
Does anyone have an idea of how to get mold off of a tent where it was not dried out properly? Thanks

rickb
12-05-2005, 14:39
I put my moldy tent in the washing machine.

Sore:

Washing Machine, 1
Tent, 0

(It was not a good idea)

the goat
12-05-2005, 14:43
try wiping it down with a wet rag & letting it dry

vipahman
12-05-2005, 20:58
Cleanup should be done with a mild detergent and water. Wash thoroughly, hang to dry (over your bathroom shower rod if you don't have a better place. It's better to wash the entire tent and stuff sack since you might not be able to see the small spores. If it's got to your backpack too, give it the same treatment. Try www.diynetwork.com and search for "mold" for lots more info.

weary
12-05-2005, 21:47
Does anyone have an idea of how to get mold off of a tent where it was not dried out properly? Thanks
Ordinary bleach is the traditional way to kill mold. I would start with a weak solution -- maybe a half cup in four or five gallons of warm water. Wear rubber gloves. Dunk the tent up and down a few times , and allow it to sit in the chlorine solution for a few minutes. then rinse with a couple of changes of clean water before allowing the tent to dry in bright sunlight.

Be careful about mixing other chemicals with chlorine. Most ordinary laundry detergent is probably okay, but ammonia mixtures release a deadly gas.
It might be a good idea to test the bleach and water combination on a small section to make sure it isn't doing more harm than good. since bleach is a bleach you should expect some color change.

Weary

stupe
12-06-2005, 19:00
I would go for cold water, a scrub brush, and drying in the sunshine. If your tent is urethane coated nylon, soap or bleach could make the coating seperate. If it's nylon taffeta with an impregnated treatment, you could strip the waterproofing from it.
Scrubbing and cold water probably won't get every mold spore off the tent, so you may be condemned to stopping and drying out your tent every chance you get for the rest of it's life.
I live in a basement that has dampness issues, so I'm kind of an expert on mold. Mold once grew on my pack shoulder straps like the mold on bread, I used the cold water and scrub brush routine, dried them in the sun, and everything was fine. Good luck.

jackiebolen
12-06-2005, 22:30
Ditto with the sunshine.