PDA

View Full Version : zPacks Altaplex in Wind?

Coffee
10-27-2015, 18:23
Does anyone have firsthand experience with the Altaplex tent in moderate to heavy wind? I have always been very impressed with the performance of my Hexamid Twin in strong wind. I believe that the two pole setup and the position of the tie-outs, combined with the relatively short height of the tent contributes to the stability.

My Hexamid Twin is still in good shape but I plan to sell it and either replace it with another Hexamid Twin or the Altaplex prior to my planned SOBO PCT thru hike next year since I'm not totally sure that my Twin has enough life left in it for a full thru hike.

My default right now is to get another Twin but I feel like the Altaplex's added headroom is a big plus, in addition to the slightly better clearance at head and foot (I'm 6'1"). But I don't want to give up the wind performance of the Hexamid Twin.

I'll probably ask zPacks directly but thought I'd see if anyone here has experience with the Altaplex in wind.

Here is my Hexamid Twin on a ridiculously windy evening at Thousand Island Lake. It was stupid to set up in the open with the wind blowing the way it was but the tent help up very well!

LionDog
10-28-2015, 21:20
Keith Foskett does a nice review. Might be of help.

http://www.keithfoskett.com/no-solvent-required-the-zpacks-altaplex-shelter-review/

MomOfFive
10-29-2015, 16:05
Hey, Coffee, when you're ready to see ur current Hexamid Twin, please email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MomOfFive
10-29-2015, 16:05
*sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk