PDA

View Full Version : Exos 58

astafford
10-29-2015, 09:42
I am looking to drop a few pounds by getting a new pack. I have not had the opportunity yet to try on the Osprey Exos 58 but would like some opinions on its durability, load carrying ability, ease of access, belt and packing comfort, etc. I plan on my pack being around 25 pounds. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Kookork
10-29-2015, 10:03
I have one. the older version. Great pack.

For 25ish load it feels very comfortable. Easy on back and especially good for people with some low back issues because it transfers the weight to body very smoothly. Sturdy enough for one ( or maybe two )2000 miles hike according to many thru hikers.

Hip belt does not seem particularly strong but surprisingly does its job. I changed the hip belt buckle to a larger one and now I can transfer most of pack's weight around my hip and give my shoulders some rest but if you buy the latest version I think they have used a stronger buckle.

Packing and unpacking is not as easy as some of the competitors because it is relatively long and narrow pack but nothing that breaks the deal especially if you know how to compartmentalize your load.

frontovik193
10-29-2015, 10:46
I have the exos 48 and love it. I went with the smaller size so I would really have to evaluate what gear is necessary/unnecessary. It is just big enough for everything I need and for shorter trips (1 night), you can remove the top lid for added weight savings. Some people complain about the quick stow loop for your trekking poles on the left shoulder strap but I really enjoy it. You can also hang a Gatorade bottle through it. The hip belt pockets are tiny but if you are packing light this should not be a problem. I can fit 2 bars in one, a headlamp and assorted smaller items in the other. The side pockets are big and stretchy, and have easy access slots for water bottles. I can fit a 1 liter smart water bottle + tent poles in one side pocket with room to spare. This pack is comfortable around 25 pounds. You can take it higher but there is really no need. As for pricing, I would say it is well worth the money.

tagg
10-29-2015, 10:54
I have one that I still use if I'm carrying more weight than my zpacks arc blast can handle. My exos is very comfortable up to about 30lbs, not too great around 35lbs (although I don't really ever carry that much anymore). The pack itself is durable, however mine is several years old and the mesh-style pockets began fraying/tearing after a little while. Just the pockets, the straps/buckles/etc. are all still good. Nothing that has compromised the integrity of the pack, but there was obvious wear after a few hundred miles. I agree with kookork that the hip belt initially seemed questionable and the buckles are very small, but it's never failed me, and it rides well. The back panel keeps it off of my back and I stay noticeably cooler than with my other packs. As far as access, the side pockets are positioned such that I can grab water bottles without removing the pack, and the front pocket and lid provide easy access to gear that I need while hiking without having to get into the main body of the pack. I'm very happy with my exos 58, I just moved to the zpacks pack because I've been able to get my base weight down to about 11lbs and didn't need as much space anymore.

MockingJay
10-29-2015, 11:13
I downsized from an Aether 70 to an Exos 58 last year and am glad I made the switch. I found that even though I was trying to lighten my load with the Aether I still carried more gear since I had the space to fill. I have carried up to 30-35 lbs (with food and water) on 3-4 day trips and the Exos works great. It carries the load well and has plenty of pockets and stow space for all my gear. The hip belt pockets are a little smaller but they still work. Initially, the only thing that I didn't like was that the Exos has an interior pocket for a water bladder while the Aether bladder was on the exterior of the pack. I had concerns with my bladder being on the inside of the pack that it would leak. I've done 2 extended trips with it now and have had no problems. Of course if you don't use a bladder that won't be an issue but the bladder pouch is there for you nonetheless.

On the last trip I did notice that the load lifter straps did not seem to give much adjustment since the pack doesn't come up above my shoulders much. It just doesn't sit up as high as the Aether did so there's not much ability to pull the pack in closer to your back.

With the Aether, when I had it on, I had a hard time reaching the side pockets to get at a water bottle but with the Exos that doesn't seem to be a problem.

One other thing...the shoulder straps are narrower and not quite as padded as other packs. Of course, if you're not carrying a really heavy load, this won't be a problem.

Overall, I think it's a great pack. There some lighter packs out there but for the money and the weight and capacity that you get I think the Osprey is hard to beat.

MockingJay
10-29-2015, 11:18
Just to elaborate on the hip pockets, when I'm hiking, I can carry my camera on one side and on the other side enough snacks for the day along with a small flash light or headlamp. Oh, and just to clarifiy...I've downsized some of my gear since I got it so my weight ranges from 25-30 lbs total which is just right for the Osprey.

Praha4
10-29-2015, 12:35
I just sold a new Exos 58 here on WB this week. I also am selling a new Osprey Exos 48 here on WB. It's basically the same design as the Exos 58, just a bit smaller and lighter.

I am looking to drop a few pounds by getting a new pack. I have not had the opportunity yet to try on the Osprey Exos 58 but would like some opinions on its durability, load carrying ability, ease of access, belt and packing comfort, etc. I plan on my pack being around 25 pounds. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Kookork
10-29-2015, 13:39
I have one that I still use if I'm carrying more weight than my zpacks arc blast can handle. My exos is very comfortable up to about 30lbs, not too great around 35lbs (although I don't really ever carry that much anymore). The pack itself is durable, however mine is several years old and the mesh-style pockets began fraying/tearing after a little while. Just the pockets, the straps/buckles/etc. are all still good. Nothing that has compromised the integrity of the pack, but there was obvious wear after a few hundred miles. I agree with kookork that the hip belt initially seemed questionable and the buckles are very small, but it's never failed me, and it rides well. The back panel keeps it off of my back and I stay noticeably cooler than with my other packs. As far as access, the side pockets are positioned such that I can grab water bottles without removing the pack, and the front pocket and lid provide easy access to gear that I need while hiking without having to get into the main body of the pack. I'm very happy with my exos 58, I just moved to the zpacks pack because I've been able to get my base weight down to about 11lbs and didn't need as much space anymore.

With the original buckle, I had many occasions that tightening of the hip belt was equal to buckle failure . I normally try to carry at least 70 percent of the load via my hip( bypassing my low back ) but with changing the buckle to a bigger one , I can do it safely . changing the buckle is a 2 minute job and needs no sewing or cutting or anything and the extra weight is nothing serious. The original buckle was 5 gram and the bigger one is 12 grams . This means that I added 7 grams(1/4 Oz) to may pack weight.

hikernutcasey
10-29-2015, 15:42
I have an Exos 58 (newest version) as well and I don't have a lot to add that hasn't already been said.

Pros: -Really comfortable up to 30 pounds - at 25 or less it's a dream
-Back stays much cooler with the suspension back
-Inside is very spacious (I don't even carry the lid)
-Plenty of pockets and the mesh on the back is like a bottomless pit you can put so much stuff in there

Cons: -Outside mesh pockets aren't the most durable and must be taken care of or you will end up with a tear

I love mine and the best endorsement I can give it is I would definitely buy the pack again if I had it to do over again.

MamaBear
10-29-2015, 15:57
As far as durability, my Exos 58 survived an AT thru-hike, plus a 130 mile AT section in NH/ME the year before. I've got the older version with the mesh hip pockets and cheese grater straps, but after giving it a good bath once I got home, it is still ready to go for more long distance adventures.

daddytwosticks
10-29-2015, 16:25
I have the exos 48 and love it. I went with the smaller size so I would really have to evaluate what gear is necessary/unnecessary. It is just big enough for everything I need and for shorter trips (1 night), you can remove the top lid for added weight savings. Some people complain about the quick stow loop for your trekking poles on the left shoulder strap but I really enjoy it. You can also hang a Gatorade bottle through it. The hip belt pockets are tiny but if you are packing light this should not be a problem. I can fit 2 bars in one, a headlamp and assorted smaller items in the other. The side pockets are big and stretchy, and have easy access slots for water bottles. I can fit a 1 liter smart water bottle + tent poles in one side pocket with room to spare. This pack is comfortable around 25 pounds. You can take it higher but there is really no need. As for pricing, I would say it is well worth the money.

Agree 100% with your observations. Can't stress how comfortable this pack is. Love the ventilation provided by the trampoline panel. :)