PDA

View Full Version : BA Copper Spur UL1

Praha4
10-29-2015, 12:51
When I get back out on the trail next year, I'm looking at changing from my BA UL Fly Creek 1 to the BA Copper Spur UL1.

I love the lightweight features of the Fly Creek UL1, but have finally decided I prefer a side entry tent, even if it means carrying a few more ounces. I've had single wall tarps and Tarptents before like the TT Contrail, Moment and Notch, and just prefer a double wall free standing tent for ease of setup and storm resistance.

So if anyone has experience with the BA UL Fly Creek 1, or can convince me the MSR Hubba NX is better, or knows of any good deals on this tent, please share your comments.

I'm thinking there will surely be some good Black Friday/XMAS season online sales coming up soon.... but always open to a good deal on a used tent if its in excellent condition.

CarlZ993
10-29-2015, 13:26
I have no experience w/ the Hubba Bubba. I've owned the Fly Creek UL-2 for many years. I've owned the Copper Spur UL-1 for about a year. For a conventional, double-wall, freestanding one-man tent, it's hard to beat. I too prefer the side entry of the Copper Spur.
Good luck find some deals on it. Every once in a while, I'll see them. But, it doesn't happen often.

Happy trails.

paule
10-29-2015, 13:34
When I get back out on the trail next year, I'm looking at changing from my BA UL Fly Creek 1 to the BA Copper Spur UL1.

I love the lightweight features of the Fly Creek UL1, but have finally decided I prefer a side entry tent, even if it means carrying a few more ounces. I've had single wall tarps and Tarptents before like the TT Contrail, Moment and Notch, and just prefer a double wall free standing tent for ease of setup and storm resistance.

So if anyone has experience with the BA UL Fly Creek 1, or can convince me the MSR Hubba NX is better, or knows of any good deals on this tent, please share your comments.

I'm thinking there will surely be some good Black Friday/XMAS season online sales coming up soon.... but always open to a good deal on a used tent if its in excellent condition.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Agnes-Copper-Spur-UL-1-NWOT-/331690514095?hash=item4d3a4b96af:g:o0cAAOSwl9BWH9z 2

Just Bill
10-29-2015, 13:37
I got the CS UL2 for my son and I... wasn't much of a bump in weight and much roomier than the 1.
It randomly popped for $55 off on Amazon, otherwise popular tents and not on sale much.

HooKooDooKu
10-29-2015, 14:19
I'll second the motion on CS UL2... tons of space inside for one person and gear for not much more weight than the UL1.
I got a killer deal on my CS UL2... but it was a clearance between Christmas and Easter.

swisscross
10-29-2015, 14:58
I have said before on WB that my CS UL-1 is a coffin.

RangerZ
10-29-2015, 16:00
I have said before on WB that my CS UL-1 is a coffin.

Never having been in a coffin, I can't compare, but I like my CS1.

daddytwosticks
10-29-2015, 16:15
Like you, I've used a Contrail, Notch, and one of Judy's (Lightheart) products. All good shelters. But I've recently went back to a traditional double walled tent, the Hubba NX-1. Love the tight pitch, side entry, and ability to enter/exit/pitch in the rain without too much fuss (I use the footprint). Having never owned a freestanding tent, I love the ability to pick it up and move it easily when trying to find a good spot to pitch. No more saggy, fussy silnylon products for me. :)

Havana
10-29-2015, 19:18
I've used my CS UL-1 for about half a dozen nights coming from a FC UL-2. Love the side entry. It's much smaller than the FC so it's a bit tight. I either have to use my pack as a pillow (which I prefer) or put it in the tiny vestibule. My knees appreciate every pound I take off my back so I'm not going for the UL-2.

Rolex
10-29-2015, 21:09
I have both. Anything you'd like to see side by side?
I just got a TT Stratospire also that looks like it would fit into the group.
Also have a MSR Carbon Reflex.

the CS 1 and the hubba are freestanding.
the Stratospire is unique in its layout and just seems bigger, lighter and more ergonomic all the way around.
Henry's tents are well known for quality and excellent customer support also which is a bigger thing to me than a few bucks.

yes. I have an addiction to the gear swap pages!

Noseeum
10-29-2015, 21:15
I have used the BA CS 1 & 2 on several section hikes. In between I have used a TT Notch.

For me, getting the CS1 was something of a compromise in between the Notch and CS2 in both weight and cost. It has all of the advantages of the CS 2, except half-ish the size (so only a single door and vestibule), while being about 1/2-pound heavier than the Notch.

My only real complaint about the CS1 is the fabric flap over the zipper on the rain fly that is intended to keep rain out, but mainly seems to want to get stuck in the zipper. It has a couple of nice extras- pockets above your head to keep small items handy, a vent in the rain fly to fight condensation. As long as you are realistic in your expectations for a 1-person tent, its an excellent choice.

I would say keep an eye on all of the major online gear sites for good discounts after Christmas. Part of why I got the CS 1 is I found it for 30% off.

Even though I carry the CS1 for now, I still think the BA CS2 is the real sweet spot in terms of amount of room per ounce in a freestanding tent. While in an UL fever last spring, I sold my CS2 and still feel a tinge of regret. So I am seriously thinking of getting another one if I can find a good sale again this year.

Praha4
10-30-2015, 10:17
how's the TT Stratospire setup ? I watched Henry's video at the web, looks kind of similar to the Notch setup

I have both. Anything you'd like to see side by side?
I just got a TT Stratospire also that looks like it would fit into the group.
Also have a MSR Carbon Reflex.

the CS 1 and the hubba are freestanding.
the Stratospire is unique in its layout and just seems bigger, lighter and more ergonomic all the way around.
Henry's tents are well known for quality and excellent customer support also which is a bigger thing to me than a few bucks.

yes. I have an addiction to the gear swap pages!

Franco
10-30-2015, 15:31
This is how I set up the SS2 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyQT9JHloQM

bigdboots
11-27-2015, 10:30
I agree with what many people have stated above. I would love to save ounces where I can but something to remember is YOUR ability to live in the tent. I wanted the wait savings of a 1-man but at 6'3" the 1-man is no bueno. I went with a BA CS 2-man. My two knees would have liked the wait savings but the possibility of wet feet is not something I deal with well. Ounces of happiness for me.

Campsaver has great deals this weekend. I have purchased many items from them and returned some, good company to deal with.

http://www.campsaver.com/copper-spur-ul-2-tent-2-person-3-season

Coffee
11-27-2015, 10:48
I purchased a Copper Spur UL1 and liked it except for the fact that at 6'1" I couldn't keep from touching both ends with my sleeping bag. I returned the tent to REI and purchased a Hexamid Twin instead with much more room inside and less than half the weight (but twice the cost!). True it is somewhat of an apples vs oranges comparison.

Ryder
11-27-2015, 11:05
I love my CS UL1, but I'm only 5' 4" and on the small side.
I can easily fit my backpack in there with me- but if I were any larger, I would definitely wish that I had purchased the UL2 instead.

squeezebox
11-27-2015, 11:24
My vote? Think about the CS2.