PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo I got my new/first hammock!!!

Waterbuffalo
12-05-2005, 20:25
I'm gonna try it out this friday going up blood mountain!

peter_pan
12-05-2005, 20:46
Welcome to the hanging crowd.

Do your homework and decide how to stay warm, before your trip....Search the archives for good info.

Pan

Just Jeff
12-05-2005, 22:00
You realize that it's illegal (federal law) to post something like that without details?

What kind of hammock? Any extra goodies?

neo
12-05-2005, 23:09
welcome to wonderful world of hammock hanging,sleeping on the ground sucks:cool: neo

Patrick
12-06-2005, 01:17
Welcome, Waterbuffalo.

EBay is a good place to sell your bed.

Seeker
12-06-2005, 11:27
welcome to the hanging crowd... like someone already said, make sure you've got enough under you at night... i'd hate for your first experience to be a bad one...

murphyw
12-06-2005, 14:15
My Hennessey Hammock (http://www.hennesseyhammock.com/) came a few days ago, and I tried it out this morning.

I got the explorer-ultralight-asym with it's typical tarp and the #4 snake skins.

Spent the first half hour with it laid out on the carpet. Looked at all the "parts", the tarp, the lines, the snake skins, the tree huggers. It is all very well made, clean seams, nice knots.

I put the snake skins on, and was glad to have the "size 4" ones. Though Tom said they're big enough to hold the larger hex-tarp, I found they were just barely large enough to stuff the regular tarp. (I always have issues with packing into small stuff sacks, probably the typically organized person would not have an issue.)

The stretch-lines (I forget if they were for the tarp or the side pull outs) were fraying a bit, so I burned them with a lighter. All other lines ended with a nice "hot-knife" like cut.

I was amazed at the length of the hammock & lines. When stretched out, it must total over twenty feet.

I watched the Hammock Knot (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hknot.htm) videos several times. Tried the knot in the basement.

Then I was ready to try it with trees!

I went behind our house (into Eberwhite Woods; it says no camping, but I figured they meant no "overnight" camping, not no learning to setup your hammock. I was there for about 40 mins, and the two joggers who went by sure did have a quizzical look at me... I suppose I would've outright stared had I seen someone else doing what I was doing...)

Tied off to a likely looking tree, paced to the other tree, found they were too close. Untied & looked for more widely spaced trees.

Tied off to another likely looking tree. Paced to other tree, they were right space, but I had not taken enough 'spare' line up with my first knot. Back to first tree to retie. Then to second tree to tie. Then retie both because tree huggers to need to be "head high" instead of "waist high". Then a retie on one end to make it more taught.

Then I tried sitting in it. Sag-city. Re-tighten again.

At least I knew the knot by this point. It was finally "mostly set", though I realized I do need to include some pegs for the tarp and side tie out lines.

I found that the velcro is not needed; the opening does truly "snap shut" behind you as you enter.

I found that a little snow from my boots slid right down to cause damp-butt. While the tarp fully covers the hammock, at a typical pitch height, it wouldn't offer much protection to a pack set beneath or for cooking under. (These are not actual flaws, just observations. I never felt "good" about cooking on the porch of my TarpTent, and a pack needs some kind of rain protection anyway. I can learn to tap my feet together, or take off my shoes upon entering.)

Though this post mostly covers my complaints, I'm still fairly sure I'll take the Hennessey on the AT next year. My tarp tent would've been a beast to setup; and I already know how it works. The hammock's setup worked better even with my lack of experience -- with the tarp tent (http://www.tarptent.com/) there'd be no good place to pitch at all. Even if I found a flat spot with no saplings growing up, the snow covered any sticks or rocks. I'd not have known about the sharp stuff till laying down. I'd have been forced to pitch it "on snow", or to do a very non-LNT thing like scraping away a large patch of ground. The front tent pole would have smudged down causing the tent to sag all night.

The hammock is better for site availability, ease of packing (and probably setup too, I'll tell you once it's not my first time putting it up.), rain protection, and comfort. The hammock only looses on interior space and pitching where there are no trees. It's a toss up on weight.

Still have to see what it's like to sleep in it and how comfortable I can be in the cold. I'm certain the hammock wins in hot weather.

Though I have a lot to learn; if you've never used one of these before, take the 30 minutes to learn to pitch it. (Remember the first time you ever pitched a tent? It's easier than that by far!) Once you do you might just switch like me.

--Bill

Brock
12-06-2005, 16:54
Ah, Blood Mtn.
I just flipped my AT calendar to December today (yes, I'm late) and there is a pic of Blood Mtn covered in snow.
At least with your hammock, you don't have to sleep in that cold stone shelter.

Brock
12-06-2005, 17:00
I just read the guy above mes post about his first time setting up the hammock. Here's what I do everytime.

I tie one end loosely to the tree at about the length that I think will be taught enough later.
I then tie the second end to the second tree exaclty where I think it will need to be and tie it securly.
I then go back to the first end, untie it, stretch it out and finally tie it properly.
This way if I screw up the spacing on the first tie, I can easily fix it without having to untie the complex knot. Also, this way, if my first end slips down the tree due to slack, it isn't a big deal, I'm going back to retie it properly anyways.

Did that make sense?

Once you've done this a few times, the height of the hammock is pretty easy to guesstimate. It is usually the spacing of the hammock between the trees that fools me and that is why I tie one end loosly first.

Just Jeff
12-06-2005, 17:24
My Hennessey Hammock (http://www.hennesseyhammock.com/) came a few days ago, and I tried it out this morning.

Welcome to the club!

> Tied off to a likely looking tree, paced to the other tree, found they
> were too close. Untied & looked for more widely spaced trees.

Comes with practice. If you stand between two trees and stretch out your hiking poles, both trees should be right near the end of your poles - a little closer or a little farther is ok. If you don't hike with poles, just stretch out your arms and imagine another 3-4' on each side.

> Paced to other tree, they were right space, but I had not taken enough
> 'spare' line up with my first knot. Back to first tree to retie. Then to
> second tree to tie. Then retie both because tree huggers to need to be
> "head high" instead of "waist high". Then a retie on one end to make it
> more taught.

Haha...that'll come with practice, too. Doesn't take long to learn to get it right on the first (or maybe second) tie.

You also don't have to tie the tree huggers tightly to the tree...as long as the back side (where the stress is) is snug, the hammock shouldn't slip on most trees. That way you can just pull the hugger away from the tree and slide it up and down, rather than retying, to adjust the height.

> Then I tried sitting in it. Sag-city. Re-tighten again.

I think the hammock stretches for the first several uses when it's new. After a few nights you might notice that it doesn't sag as much after setup.

Also, pull on each loop as you wrap the figure-8 lashing...that'll reduce the amount of give when it tightens as you climb in.

> While the tarp fully covers the hammock, at a typical pitch height, it
> wouldn't offer much protection to a pack set beneath or for cooking
> under.

That's one of the reasons I like a bigger tarp. Lots of options - MacCat, JRB, HH, neo's $30 9x9 find, etc. Well worth it, IMO.

> Still have to see what it's like to sleep in it and how comfortable I can be
> in the cold. I'm certain the hammock wins in hot weather.

Pillows can help. I use a jacket stuffed in its sleeve as a neck pillow, and the rest of my clothes in a stuff sack to put between my knees when I sleep on my side, and under my knees when I sleep on my back. Might help if you find lower back pain or knee pain.

Hammock insulation is definitely different than sleeping on the ground, but there are several options...some cheap and some $$$, and what works for one person doesn't always work for another. Either way, it's worth finding what you like instead of going back to the ground!!

Check here for some options to stay warm:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

Enjoy your new toy!

murphyw
12-06-2005, 17:53
Comes with practice. If you stand between two trees and stretch out your hiking poles, both trees should be right near the end of your poles - a little closer or a little farther is ok. If you don't hike with poles, just stretch out your arms and imagine another 3-4' on each side.

Thanks for the hiking pole tip! That'll make it much easier than trying to 'eyeball'.

I'm considering a different tarp, still a few months to work out my gear details, I might just start with this and see... Most of the larger tarps are also heavier...

Has anyone ever rigged a painters drop cloth instead of a tarp? Would be great to look out through something clear... I suppose the wind would rip it to shreds too.

--Bill

Just Jeff
12-06-2005, 18:49
A guy named Jack Krohn has some pics of a drop cloth as a tarp...google his name and it'll come up. Looks like it worked well in his backyard, but I think it would be heavy and not very durable, and would get dirty and faded over time.

The bigger ones are heavier, but the JRB 8x8 is less than 10 oz, and the MacCat Standard is ~13 oz. It's worth the extra few oz IMO.

MacCat also has a new 7 oz Micro but I don't know what the coverage is like yet.

Waterbuffalo
12-06-2005, 22:05
I got the Hennessy Expedition A-Sym no skins yet that will come next i'm gonna hook my old down bag to the bottom for warmth and I'm a real warm sleeper so I think I should be good does any one put a thermarest in with them too? And man that knot looks kinda funny I guess I've got some work to do.

Just Jeff
12-06-2005, 22:49
Lots of knots will work - that figure-8 knot is a pretty good one, though. It's not tough once you do it a few times, though.

Thermarests can work ok if you use your bag as a quilt. If you zip all the way inside your bag, the pad will squirt out from under you when you move. Using a SPE will help keep the pad in place, and cover your shoulders and hips, since the hammock will wrap around the pad and compress the insulation there.

Otherwise, finding a way to rig your bag as an underquilt sounds like a plan. Patrick posted a thread with pics about rigging his TNF bag that way...it's on here somewhere.

Patrick
12-07-2005, 00:10
Yeah, I modified a TNF 40 degree bag I bought on sale for $75. It worked great on a week long trip in MA that got down to 40. The link is here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10035&highlight=synthetic

It wasn't too hard and the design eventually turned into my tiny company. If you're handy with a sewing machine, I'd recommend you either buy one or make one from scratch, though. My current production version is only four ounces heavier than that prototype, but is much warmer and the fit is miles better.

If you want to stick with down like you said, there are some excellent plans by Dennis Klinsky on thru-hiker.com for one that seems to fit extremely well.

http://www.thru-hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=5&cid=72

Keep in mind the many laws regarding your obligation to post details and pictures here no matter which way you decide to go.

generoll
12-07-2005, 07:26
regarding sleeping pads in hammocks. i haven't gotten mine yet (coming today allegedly), but it appears that you enter these hammocks from the bottom. how do you fit your pad under you in you enter from the bottom?

Just Jeff
12-07-2005, 10:43
how do you fit your pad under you in you enter from the bottom?

With practice.

neo
12-07-2005, 11:40
With practice.

practice makes perfect,you get used to it:cool: neo

Just Jeff
12-07-2005, 11:45
Yeah...it's really not that tough to get on it. Just push it to the side, crawl in, and roll onto it...then shimmy around until you get comfortable. Thermarests are easier than CCF to get situated because they slide better, but that also lets them squirt out from under you easier during the night. It's much easier if you use your bag as a quilt instead of zipping up inside it.

Seeker
12-07-2005, 12:12
after awhile, you learn exactly where the top of the pad is when you're laying on it, and you put it there when you're first looking into the 'entrance', facing the other/head end... you set the angle then too. then, I fold the pad back to the edge of the opening, turn around, and sit on it... once i'm inside, i simple arch my back with my feet on either side of the slit, reach under, and unfold the pad... works just about every time... if it needs to be slid up or down, reach overhead, grab a handfull of nylon hammock, and pull... this works better with an inflatable pad than with a blue foam pad.another other thing i have done is marked my main line in 6'' increments from the knot with some white paint. then i know when it's centered between the trees, and if the tarp is centered. i've used the stock tarp in some pretty blustery weather, and it works as designed... not a lot of room for error, but it's about 12 oz lighter than my 8x10 tarp... all depends on the expected weather... on the inside, i've hooked two of those cheap mini-biners to the overhead line, up near the knot, where there's a loop to tie them into, so they don't slide back. the one at the head is red, the one at the foot is blue.outside, i use 2 larger caribiners (again, red and blue for head and shoe/foot) to connect the ends of the tree huggers, then tie my lines to those... a lot easier going through the tree hugger loops alone... mine are aluminum, rated to only 150lbs each... there seem to be two kinds available... one gate just 'touches', and i've destroyed one by pulling it apart under wieght. the other kind is harder to find and about 2x as expensive, but has a locking pin across the gate, so it can't pull out under strain... they weigh about an ounce each, as opposed to 8oz each for 'climbing quality' caribiners... anyway, when i'm packing up, i tie an overhand on a bight in the end (it actually stays in all the time) and clip the colored biner through it, marking the head and foot for next time. you could also just put a dot of colored paint on one end to mark it. if i'm using a non-stock tarp, i mark the head and foot corners with, again, red and blue mini-biners. they keep the tarp close to the line, even if i tie it off to the tree instead of the line... hope that makes sense.

Waterbuffalo
12-07-2005, 19:16
The figure 8 was what i was going to use since I used that in climbing and I trust that knot.

Seeker
12-08-2005, 01:26
i wouldn't recommend using anything but that weird hennessy knot, or you'll never get it out in the morning... it's sort of a figure 8, but more like what you use on a cleat to secure a boat at a dock... i just run mine through a carabiner, that's all...

Burn
12-08-2005, 01:49
knots on a hammock is personal preference .....follow manufacterures directions or yer favorite boyscout knot.....if it works for you and the rope you are using....who cares....yer happy...right

Burn
12-08-2005, 01:55
gene....why would you fall for pop marketing.,...the HH suX big time.....compared to others....but 3 time=z over a clark....

attroll
12-08-2005, 03:21
i wouldn't recommend using anything but that weird hennessy knot, or you'll never get it out in the morning... it's sort of a figure 8, but more like what you use on a cleat to secure a boat at a dock... i just run mine through a carabiner, that's all...

I have no problem with my Hennessey knot. I did the first time I tried it though because I tied it wrong. The picture that Hennessey shows on their web site is not a very good picture and is misleading and in my opinion it should be removed from there web site.

generoll
12-08-2005, 10:33
dunno Burn. that seemed like the most common hammock and i found this one on Ebay at a moderate price. my last time out i decided that my skinny thermarest just wasn't enough for these old bones and i remeber a hammock from my merchant marine days. of course everything was better back then, but i thought i'd try it. everything i read now makes it sound like you need to be a gymnist to enter and stay warm in a hammock, so it may have been a mistake. anyway, mine came and i'm going to play with it this morning before i go to work. might even take it camping with me if it works out.

Just Jeff
12-08-2005, 10:45
Naw - no need to be a gymnast. It's just different than sleeping on the ground. Using a SPE will help with the pads, IMO. (www.speerhammocks.com (http://www.speerhammocks.com)) Or get an underquilt - more comfortable and easier to sleep with, IMO. (www.jacksrbetter.com (http://www.jacksrbetter.com) or www.kickassquilts.com (http://www.kickassquilts.com))

And the HH is certainly more common on the East Coast. For some reason, it seems like lots of Clark users are out West. I think they're HQ is in Utah so that might explain some of it. (Or I could be totally wrong about that perception.) HH is lighter, but I haven't heard anyone really complain about either model. Personally, I find Speers more comfortable than HH, but I haven't used a Clark.

Keep fidgeting with it until you get it right...it's worth it. There are tons of people on this site who hammock, and about 4 who tried it and went back to tenting, I think.

generoll
12-08-2005, 12:07
hmmm, that might be 5 now. i just went out in the side yard and tried my HH out and came back with mixed feelings.

the tree huggers are going to take some getting used to. just how are you supposed to use them? it's extremely unlikely that you will find a tree that's an exact fit. i just let mine be loose on the trees and used carabiners to tasten them together and then tied the rope to the biner.

site selection appears to be at least as finicky as it is for a tent. if you include the space necessary for your side ropes the footprint is actually larger then for a tent. i can also imagine some poor lost soul tripping over them in the dark as they make their way to the privy/bushes.

i first tried getting into the hammock by sitting in the opening and swinging my feet in. that worked, but then when it came time to exit, since i was lying on the door, i ended up just falling out onto the ground. seemed the easiest way at the time. the next time in went in head first and lay the other way with my feet over the entry slot. much better. lying there with my clothes on and temps in the 40s my back quickly began to chill so i dug out an old blue pad purchased years ago and never used. that worked and was actually quite comfortable.

then as i lay there i began to hear a creaking/knocking/ tapping sound. yikes!! either my tree huggers are slowly slipping or one of these trees is dead and protesting. got out and looked. tree huggers were sagging but not slipping. trees looked sound but were still making noise. or rather the woodpecker 2/3 of the way of the tree was making noise. ok, scratch that problem.

then i decided to try and take the HH down as if it were raining and i was going to do it without lying it on the ground. nope. definitely need the snakeskins for that one. ended up with a tangle of material and loose cordage which i finally straightened out on the livingroom rug.

so, first impressions:

the canopy is a no go. definitely need the larger canopy. any kind of a blowing rain is certainly coming right under the canopy and soaking the interior of the hammock.

snakeskins are a must for taking down in inclement weather.

a sleeping pad is also a must for insulation.

all in all, based upon one admittedly hurried trial in the back yard, i have to say it's not clear if this is a go for me or not. there's no weight savings, this weighs as much as my mega mid. no space savings, the blue pad takes up more space them my thermarest (my thermarest is however too thin for me and i'm going to need the thicker, prolite if i keep sleeping on the ground). it does hold promise for greater comfort, assuming you can stay dry in it. the HH might be a better choice for summer backpacking then in the early spring or winter.

i think i'll take a trial hike someplace where i am close to the car. if it doesn't work out i can always bail out and head for someplace dry. i've had all the nights of misery i ever care to enjoy.

Youngblood
12-08-2005, 12:36
...i think i'll take a trial hike someplace where i am close to the car. if it doesn't work out i can always bail out and head for someplace dry. i've had all the nights of misery i ever care to enjoy.
Try it out overnight in your side yard? Yes there is a learning curve and the tradeoffs versus a tent can be different when it gets cold than it is in mild or even warm temperatures. The slit in the bottom of the HH is at the footend. Good luck.

Patrick
12-08-2005, 14:25
The shadow of the HH might be bigger than your tent, but the footprint certainly isn't. I think you will very quickly find that you have many, many more sites to pitch in with your hammock than sleeping on the ground. You can't have trees or huge bushes right in the way, but you can have rocks, slopes, mud, overgrowth, scorpion nests, etc. This is even more evident in the green months when there is so much small undergrowth to deal with.

The tree huggers are also very simple to use. You don't need the perfect sized tree at all. You need one that the tree hugger can get (almost) all the way around. If it's much smaller, do two wraps. If it's just a little smaller, it doesn't matter and allows you to easily move the tree hugger up and down to adjust.

I'm not sure what you gain by using a biner to clip them together. You still have to tie a knot each time, right? Why not just leave the biner at home and tie the line to the tree huggers directly?

Hammocks won't weigh less than light tarp setups, no. But I think most people here will tell you that the small weight penaltly is much more than worth it for the wonderful comfortable sleep that you get, not to mention site selection, chair use, etc.

If you're worried about wet take down, do the following. Pitch your tarp separate from your hammock. That gives you a dry area to work under. When you take down, untie just one end of the hammock and then walk toward the other end, rolling it up as you go. This is a MUCH cleaner way of handling rain than a tent or tarp because your shelter literally never touches the ground.

I don't mean to sound like I'm arguing you towards hammocking. I honestly think they sell themselves. I'm just saying, don't write them off because of a small learning curve. All of the concerns you have are concerns others have had and have dealt with and aren't concerns at all any more. If it's not for you, it's not for you, but there are good reasons that so many of us swear by them and can't imagine going back.

Just Jeff
12-08-2005, 15:08
Tree huggers don't have to fit right. As long as the back is tight you'll be find on most trees. (The back side is the side away from the hammock.) You can have a space between the hugger and the tree on the other side.

To connect the ends of the hugger, just run the hammock support rope through both straps and start the figure-8.

To get in, sit down like you did. Instead of swinging your feet in, just lay back and pull them through the list. To get out, just lay back and stick your feet through the slit, then sit up.

Where I hike, site selection is much easier with a hammock because trees are everywhere. It's easier to find to trees spaced 10-20 feet apart than it is to find level, unrocky ground with good drainage and no roots. Just depends on where you hike, though.

I'd say insulation is a must - pads are only one option.

To take it down without laying it on the ground, untie one end and start stuffing it into the bag as you walk to the other end, then untie the last bit and stuff it. Though I agree that it IS much easier with skins, it can be done without them.

Certainly worth the effort for most, but hammocks aren't for everyone. Don't give up yet, though!

Youngblood
12-08-2005, 15:15
... Instead of swinging your feet in, just lay back and pull them through the list...
The list... is that like a money list?:)

generoll
12-08-2005, 15:45
all good advice and i'll definitely look into it. pitching the tarp separately however seems a bit dicey. the way it sits not it's pretty easy to make certain that it's correctly centered over the hammock. i'll have to look at the website again, but i think the larger tarp would be a must for me. one of the things that i like about my mega mid is that i can cook in it if the weather's foul. using the larger tarp with the HH might also allow that option, plus the longer and lower sides would keep the rain out. (hopefully). as for using the carabiners, it's just easier to slip the rope through a biner then it is to feed it through the loop on the ends of the tree huggers. of course, i still need to burn the ends of the support ropes, but even then i think the biners are easier.

anyway, thanks for all the good advide and tips and i do plan to try it out soon.

Just Jeff
12-08-2005, 16:24
I agree on the larger tarp. Sgt Rock made it through a hurricane with the stock HH fly, so I guess it CAN be done, but I'm not that brave! I like the extra coverage of a larger fly for comfort and cooking.

Yes, Youngblood, it's a money list. I found a way to make my HH give me money through the list, but I won't be posting that one on the website. :p

the1stranger
12-08-2005, 21:57
This guy has a great video of how to tie up the hennasy. His whole site is a great read too.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hknot.htm

Brock
12-09-2005, 16:00
That Hennesy "knot" is not really a "knot" by definition, but a "lashing" I believe is the correct term. You are never really tieing a knot, but instead overlapping the rope and using that friction to keep the rope in place. This is what the Hennesy guy told me at Trail Days. And this is what makes it easy to untie after a night of 200 lbs pulling it tighter and tighter.

generoll
12-09-2005, 16:27
yeah, the website with photos was a real help. definitely made things clearer.

Waterbuffalo
12-09-2005, 17:04
I like that site alot thanks for the info. I tried mine out today and used the double 8 it worked great.

texyaker
02-09-2006, 01:16
:banana

Took my HH Expedition to a trailhead parking lot on my way to work.
Got it set up quickly considering it being my first pitch. All the research
I did here prior made all the difference.

Man these really are as comfy as you guys say. Almost fell fast asleep
and was late to work.

I do see how the stock fly that comes with the HH Exp. seems small to
some folks. I had some trouble getting it to cover what I thought would
be maximum coverage to stay dry.

I will try my Integral Design "SilShelter" as a fly next time I pitch it.

I feel a trip coming on.

Texyaker

Seeker
02-09-2006, 01:54
on your WAY to work?! you have the makings of an addict... but congratulations, and welcome to the hanging crowd...

yeah, that stock tarp takes some practice to trust it, but it works.

Hana_Hanger
02-09-2006, 04:57
I too thought for sure I would get soaked the first time in the HH. I was camped on the beach with winds and rain coming in from all directions....but I was dry!
Not once did I get wet, but I kept waking up to check if all was fine; since I have not been able to hang without rain as yet.

I have ordered a larger tarp, mostly for my peace of mind and more room to put things around.

The knots "lashings" took me just a few times to get use to it...and now its a breeze. I prefer the lashings over knots and I do not always get it them just right, but it still works.

Just a reminder not too forget the shoe strings or any cord/string to have a place for the water to drip down, and not on down the rope to your hammock.

Keep on hanging and welcome to all of you new to the hammock world. Hope you enjoy your new toys!

texyaker
02-18-2006, 02:00
Tried the Silshelter over my HH. Works out fine with some rigging practice.
The head end can close up to give a bit more protection from blowing in rain.
I've seen some guy out styles here. I am leaning toward one long continuous line pulled through the loops and staked to look like a W. Putting a small loop of bungee at the tarps guy loops should give me the resistance that the tubing single line guy outs provide.
Just a thought. Hoping for a field test real soon.

Waterbuffalo
02-20-2006, 18:25
Just so everybody knows I ordered my underquilt from Patrick at Kick ass quilts last it week so freakin easy and great customer service! Anybody need a thermarest!?HA HA

WB