PDA

View Full Version : Trying a foam pad, what's the best way to attach it to my pack?

linus72
10-30-2015, 11:24
I have not had luck with my inflatables. Guess I'm a crazy sleeper. Got a z-lite and my REI flash 45 does have two loops at the bottom but not sure if that's what they're for, or the best way to securely attach the pad down here. I guess the other option is under the brain. I will miss my inflatable fitting in the pack but better than sleeping on the cold ground because my inflatable failed in the middle of the night! what strap materials do you use? how do you attach it?

bigcranky
10-30-2015, 11:31
A lot of folks carry it under the lid, yes. I preferred to carry a CCF pad vertically on the front or just off to one side, using bungee cord and some sort of cord lock.

Just Tom
10-30-2015, 12:02
How much slack do you have in the lid straps that connect down on the body? Not the same pack, but my son puts slips his pad in horizontally under those.

saltysack
10-30-2015, 12:06
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/30/d49c9f6ee11a53d78d7867d21ca9e6f5.jpg

Under lid, top strap or really prefer on back bungees on my circuit....Acts like a kick stand when I take pack off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RangerZ
10-30-2015, 12:19
I'm wide enough already so I don't like it horizontally. I added a strap and clip through the top gear loops and I put my zlight sol vertically, crossing the two sleeping pad straps at the bottom to help hold it on. It does help my Osprey Atmos 65 stand up when i take it off.

linus72
10-30-2015, 12:52
plenty of slack i believe to do like your son and put it horizontal under the brain. does that get annoying to him when he has to get into the pack for something mid-hike? only other concern would be when i have my rain cover on. then again the current rain cover might not fit with it tied on vertically either. doesnt seem like its a big deal if it gets wet though unless temps are below freezing, so could attach it below when need the rain cover. though maybe i could try the compactor liner trick too...

saltysack
10-30-2015, 12:58
plenty of slack i believe to do like your son and put it horizontal under the brain. does that get annoying to him when he has to get into the pack for something mid-hike? only other concern would be when i have my rain cover on. then again the current rain cover might not fit with it tied on vertically either. doesnt seem like its a big deal if it gets wet though unless temps are below freezing, so could attach it below when need the rain cover. though maybe i could try the compactor liner trick too...

It's not an issue as if he's opening pack he opens mat to sit on.....non issue.. We don't use rain covers only compactor bag as liner...never had issue.

Slo-go'en
10-30-2015, 13:02
The loops at the bottom and near the top are for carrying your poles or ice axe. The top compartment design looks like it would make it hard to put the pad under there. Ideally you want it vertical or you'll have trouble with adding a pack cover. You could use the four loops to loop a cord through to hold the pad in place vertical. The only down side with that is it would make using the mesh pocket on the back more or less useless. There just doesn't look to be a good way to attach a pad to the outside of this pack. (BTW, the pack is on sale right now for 50% off)

linus72
10-30-2015, 13:53
love the mesh pack it is highly used in my trips... ill try the top and bottom options first, then the side.

RangerZ
10-30-2015, 15:09
The mesh pocket on my Atmos is still usable. That's where I put my camp shoes, sham wow and Frio wallet. You just don't put something that you want instant access to there.

Casey & Gina
10-30-2015, 15:25
Depending on your pack, if you use a RidgeRest you can line the inside of your pack with it (vertically) and then stuff whatever else you like into the center like a burrito.

tiptoe
10-30-2015, 16:43
Mine gets folded and rolled, then shoved into a stuff sack that is secured by the top strap of my Circuit. It's not an elegant solution, but it does work.

saltysack
10-30-2015, 18:25
Mine gets folded and rolled, then shoved into a stuff sack that is secured by the top strap of my Circuit. It's not an elegant solution, but it does work.

Why do you need a stuff sack? Just curious...

tiptoe
10-30-2015, 19:26
I use a Gossamer Gear 1/4-in. Evazote pad, cut down from its original 39-in. width to form a mummy shape that's wider at the shoulder than at the foot and maybe 60 inches long. It's too wide just to roll, and when folded and rolled, it's not the neatest package. A stuff sack keeps it manageable, and when I open the pack during the day, I don't need to re-roll the pad afterwards.

TKE402
10-31-2015, 13:39
I have a flash 65 and I put it under the lid. I also have the pad tied with small strap to keep it from unrolling. Getting things out in mid hike is slightly annoying but most times its for lunch and I just take my pad bundle and sit on it for padding then I get my stuff out. Multi use!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk