PDA

View Full Version : ZPacks Arc Blast opinions?

PaulWorksHard
10-31-2015, 13:12
I am thinking about buying an Arc Blast pack. How well do they hold up? Those that have bought them, does anyone wish they got the Arc Haul instead? Intended use is a 2 month or so section hike on the AT. I am hoping to have a base pack weight below 14 lbs. thanks

MuddyWaters
10-31-2015, 13:27
They hold up fine, treat with care. Its not a ballistic cloth duffel bag. I have worn holes thru mine. Easy fix.

Gear isnt supposed to last forever, and its not claimed to. It will last a thruhike with care.

Id say get your basewt down to ul range, to use a ul pack. It comfortably carries about 25 lb. At 14 you are better off with a heavier pack. No experience with arc haul, but if its from joe, id expect it to be great.

Btw, wow. What did they do to it,? 52l is listed at 21 oz now, mine is 16.7. Another case of making ul gear sturdier for lightweight hikers to use???

Looks like a different belt, Im guessing they beefed it up somehow to handle more weight. Thats a shame for real UL folks. Just like the new tents.

fastfoxengineering
10-31-2015, 16:28
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that Muddy Waters. The weights went up a few ounces in the past year or so.

bigcranky
10-31-2015, 17:33
They added a more robust frame (bottom cross bar), load lifters, and made the torso length adjustable. I think that now the only difference between Blast and Haul is the fabric. I got the Haul and think it will last a long time.

MuddyWaters
10-31-2015, 17:50
no custom torso length? adjustable sizing? Interchangeable belts ? Zpacks has gone mainstream with a $315 pack .

Skinny Rooster
10-31-2015, 20:18
Mine held up just fine during AT thru hike this past year. Shredded up one of the side pockets in the Whites and southern Maine - I don't blame that on the pack though. I saw others on the trail that weren't holding up quite as well. Folks were overloading the pack IMHO.

Vegan Packer
10-31-2015, 20:50
To my knowledge, they also upped some of the padding, since there were some complaints about shoulder strap pain (in a max load) from a few people. As far as I am concerned, I like seeing that they respond so quickly to customer reports and suggestions for improvements.

MuddyWaters
10-31-2015, 21:14
Mine held up just fine during AT thru hike this past year. Shredded up one of the side pockets in the Whites and southern Maine - I don't blame that on the pack though. I saw others on the trail that weren't holding up quite as well. Folks were overloading the pack IMHO.

the hybrid cuben is a lot more fragile than most think. My bear can rubbed thru mine on the JMT n a few spots. The stays rubbed thru the pack in spots (destroying itself!). On a short ferry ride across part of lake edison my pack was in the front of the small aluminum boat, leaning against the front thwart. The metal rim of the bearikade, sandwiched the pack fabric against the edge of the aluminum thwart. It wore a neat 1" long slit in the cuben hybrid due to vibration in just 5 minutes. Looked like it had been sliced with a knife

Keep that 1.43 cuben self adhesive patch material handy and repairs are quick and easy.

fastfoxengineering
10-31-2015, 22:28
With the weight of the Arc Blast going up a few ounces. I have a hard time deciding between the zpacks and an ohm 2.0

A stripped ohm 2.0 is only what.. 5oz's heavier?

PaulWorksHard
11-01-2015, 05:13
I considered ULA, but I really like the *look* of the zpacks suspension system and frame. Unfortunately, with these custom manufacturers, it's difficult to try out the gear before buying it. That's why I find it so valuable to be able to get feedback from actual users of the various packs. I would point out that zpacks claims the arc blast can carry loads up to 35 lbs. So, a base weight of 14 lbs should be no problem. I should never exceed around 30 lbs.

MuddyWaters
11-01-2015, 09:43
You can order it and try it, joe will take it back if you dont like it.

Read carefully. Zpacks says the material and pack can handle up to 35, they do not say it will comfortably carry it. Im sure they made some improvement for the added wt. though. No experience with arc haul, but i havent seen even a light wt pack that carries 35 as good as conventional pack. It simply takes a stiffer, heavier, rigid belt and pack connection not to start sagging and not put significant wt on shoulders.

Havana
11-01-2015, 11:10
Mine has held up well through a season of backpacking. As others have pointed out, you shouldn't get a UL pack unless you have UL gear. I haven't done my base weight calc lately but my total weight with 3-4 days of food is usually under 20 (depends on the season) so my base weight isn't far from what you're thinking about. Anyone looking for bulletproof construction you should be looking at something like an Osprey. Of course you'd also have to sign up for 2+ pounds in additional weight.

Deacon
11-01-2015, 12:17
I've used an Arc Blast on all my AT sections, and I can tell you that if loaded more than 22 lbs. total weight, it will sag at the waist band right in the center of your back. This pack is fine for ULers, but any heavier I'd go to something slightly beefier.

floid
11-02-2015, 06:17
I have one and like it. Mine has held up well so far. Last spring I had 26lbs including food and water. I didn't notice any sagging, but that's about the max for comfort with those shoulder straps.

I'm a big guy, so my winter clothes are likely 2x heavier than yours. I would think this pack is ideal for small folks.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

poolskaterx
01-15-2016, 21:35
I do a lot of snow hiking and my pack carries great at 27lbs all the time; I have the Arc Zip 52l. p.s. love the hip pouches I added!!!!!!!

Dogwood
01-16-2016, 01:01
In my reviewed comparison the ULA Ohm 2.0 approaches 90-95 % of the Arc Haul. If dollars start playing more heavily into comparisons...hmmm? Add the hipbelt pockets to the Haul and the volume is almost identical to the Ohm 2.0 but have a wide price gap of $210 verse $344...possibly a steep price to pay for what amounts to VERY little wt savings. NOTE THE WT comparisons carefully with all the added features of the Haul that could be removed from the Ohm 2.0 and the wt savings isn't all that....maybe 3 or so ozs. So, IF you do go with the Haul you have to REALLY REALLY like it for reasons other than for just the very so so wt savings which to me has been the impetus for so many consumers buying Zpacks gear...the perceived cutting edge wt savings.

Mountain Laurel Designs makes the comparable highly touted Exodus too that with hipbelt pockets is the same volume as the Haul with Dyneema X that comes in at $230.

Could go on with SMD, GG, etc etc backpacks that all deserve careful comparable consideration to the Arc Haul. And, when investing $350+ on a backpack starts bringing more into focus having a very customized pack built from someone like McHale, Zimmerbuilt, etc, for those who really know what they want

I'm not surprised noticing the wt slightly creep up too with the Arc Blast making it possibly more difficult in my mind's eye to justify the added $ for a wee just bit lighter backpack than some other comparable UL similar volume similarly featured backpack models. The wt margin difference is less that ZP enjoyed from what I can tell possibly once justifying the added do re mi for those gram weenie wannabees with deep pockets. Still like some of the features in a UL CF hybrid Arc Blast Joe Valesco brings to the show. Besides Zpacks is running a biz that has fiduciary commitments and long term economic sustainability so it's my best guess they've crunched some numbers and have looked at market shares of what they want to be part of in an increased manner.

I for one so appreciate these UL cottage manufacturers all working so diligently developing the UL market! Just wish I had enough do re mi to buy three or four Arc Blasts with the way I go through Arc Blast's backpacks which I set up w/ the hipbelt pockets for $370 each. OUCH!

Dogwood
01-16-2016, 01:11
I routinely have had a sub 10 lb LD Base Pack Weight(BPW) for about 8 yrs now and can tell ya not one of the pieces in those kits are the absolute lightest wt single piece option I could choose from.

Coffee
01-16-2016, 06:50
Dogwood, the Ohm 2.0 comparison is interesting. My impression has been that the ULA recommends only the Circuit or Catalyst for loads that include a bear canister and the Ohm 2.0 is only comfortable up to 30 pounds. ZPacks is saying that the Arc Haul is good up to 40 pounds. So I've always thought that the Circuit is the nearest comparable pack to the Arc Haul. Still the price differential is very significant at around $100+ fully equipped and zpacks has been raising prices recently. My circuit, with 2300 miles on it, shows wear only at the hip belt which I plan to replace soon. Otherwise it is well set for my pct thru and I plan to use it for that purpose rather than buying a new zpacks pack. The ohm 2.0 is interesting, however for further weight savings at low relative cost. I've always thought that the ohm 2.0 could be an ideal AT thru hike pack.

I I also have a CDT which is now my go to pack for overnights, day hikes, and even general travel. I use the CDT more than the Circuit now except if I'm doing a 3+ night trip.

bigcranky
01-16-2016, 09:17
Hey, Dogwood. I had an Ohm, the original, which topped out for me right at 25 pounds for any sort of comfort. I expect the full wrap hip belt of the 2.0 might help a little, but for me the Arc Haul seems to be comfortable with a much heavier load than I could ever get in the Ohm.

Dogwood
01-16-2016, 13:02
I hear ya folks. All good pts. Each of us can pt out different comparisons based on our priorities. I made mine on like volumes and took it from there.

ChuckT
02-13-2016, 14:05
I'm working on a 5 day/70 mile hike this April. Put most of my stuff together for a short hike this morning. No food and no Sleeping bag/Under Quilt but I did carry 2 500 mls of water. Scale said 22.3 lbs.
Looks like adding the SB/UQ and food (2.5#/day x 5 days) will just about fill the main bag without needing to major compress stuff.

firesign
02-13-2016, 15:44
I am thinking about buying an Arc Blast pack. How well do they hold up? Those that have bought them, does anyone wish they got the Arc Haul instead? Intended use is a 2 month or so section hike on the AT. I am hoping to have a base pack weight below 14 lbs. thanks

The Arc Blast will be fine within the parameters that you have outlined. The pack does not like weight and I found the belt was uncomfortable with 30 lbs type weights/7 days food/water. If you think that you will be carry this type of weight, them I would suggest the Arc Haul pack which has a better/more comfortable belt and is slightly heavier.
I wish you the best on your section.

Cheyou
02-13-2016, 16:02
Just get the Zimmerbult. Do u really want a zpacks glamping bag;0)

cmoulder
02-13-2016, 21:10
The Arc Blast will be fine within the parameters that you have outlined. The pack does not like weight and I found the belt was uncomfortable with 30 lbs type weights/7 days food/water. If you think that you will be carry this type of weight, them I would suggest the Arc Haul pack which has a better/more comfortable belt and is slightly heavier.

Zpacks is now using the same frame/hipbelt system on both the Blast and Haul. So, durability aside, the carry should be the same.

I have an older-style (2014) Blast and find it super comfortable up to about 23 lbs. I have a quite new Arc Haul and it carries superbly (after I got a lumbar pad for it), but I have not had a bigger load in it yet. Bought it for winter and, except for the brief arctic shot we're getting now, we've had pretty much no winter this year!

Deacon
02-19-2016, 09:14

I love the Arc Blast. That said I think it becomes very uncomfortable above 22 lbs, IMHO. The belt has virtually no rigidity.

ChuckT
02-19-2016, 09:24
Rigidity? If the belt is to conform to a waist why should it need to be rigid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Deacon
02-19-2016, 09:29
With increasing weight, the pack tends to sag at the center of the back. I just bought ZPacks optional lumbar support pad in hopes it will help keep the belt riding in the small of my back.

DuneElliot
02-19-2016, 09:51
With increasing weight, the pack tends to sag at the center of the back. I just bought ZPacks optional lumbar support pad in hopes it will help keep the belt riding in the small of my back.

Do you have the older version or the current version with the frame and removable belt?

ChuckT
02-19-2016, 10:46
I have a new one and purchased the optional lumbar support cause I tend to heavier load out. This weekend I will try an extended day hike with everything but food. Expect my weight to be 32# or there about. So far I have not noticed that sagging. I will post here if I detect it.

Mudsock
02-19-2016, 16:05
My Arc Blast is the 2015 version, with a lot of the options, including the extra belt padding. One of the accessories I like best is the Multi-pack. I hang it in front while hiking. I keep my toothbrush, toothpaste, snacks, medications, maps and a lot of other odds and ends in it for quick access. The Multi-pack can also be used as a waist pack. I like using it that way when I leave my pack somewhere, so that I can take all of my valuables with me. It's hard to go wrong with the Arc Blast/Haul if you don't try to carry too much. It carries very comfortably at 20-22 pounds. At 30 pounds, it didn't feel bad.

Deacon
02-19-2016, 17:55
Do you have the older version or the current version with the frame and removable belt?

It is an older version, bought in 2011, with the Exos frame. I since had it converted to the Arc Blast. The belt is sewn directly to the pack.

ChuckT
02-19-2016, 21:39
My Arc Blast is the 2015 version, with a lot of the options, including the extra belt padding. One of the accessories I like best is the Multi-pack. I hang it in front while hiking. I keep my toothbrush, toothpaste, snacks, medications, maps and a lot of other odds and ends in it for quick access. The Multi-pack can also be used as a waist pack. I like using it that way when I leave my pack somewhere, so that I can take all of my valuables with me. It's hard to go wrong with the Arc Blast/Haul if you don't try to carry too much. It carries very comfortably at 20-22 pounds. At 30 pounds, it didn't feel bad.
I got the Multi Pack also but hang it on the back.
I have had experience with a camera bag hung in front of me once before. Used to carry a film SLR, hardly ultralight☺ but a similar configuration. From that trip I retained the opinion that having an extra set of straps to undo in front did/does not impress me as the thing to do. With it hung from the back the Multi Pack serves for me as a "Brain" for my pack. Similar to what I've had with my Granite Gear Nimbus but lighter. I keep my 1st Aid Kit and similar "stuff" in it.

ChuckT
02-21-2016, 15:05
Fully "loaded" for a 10 mile exercise hike my Arc Blast was stuffed with everything (but food) that I had concluded I would needed for a multi day hike, with a guesstimate on weather (dry, low 70 at night & low 80s days) I'd encounter.
The pack weight with two 500ml bottles of water was 25 1/2 lbs leaving the house.
For a 5 day hike I'd be adding 10 to 12 pounds of food to that.
Firstly I found that I need to fill the mesh pocket last as it was a hassle loading the Main bag with the mesh pocket full.
Secondly I did noticed the load "torque" the pack backward waay from my shoulders somewhat and that I could feel this at the back of the waistbelt even with the extra lumbar pad. It was noticeable but neither annoying nor debilitating. Aside for a tendency of the pack to list to the right (I did distribute the load left-to-right with balance in mind) caused by the load lifters (?) I did not experience any obvious discomfort. And the pack fabric survived the encounter as well😊.
Coming back on the main Forest road, sand and clay and somewhat exposed, the thermoneter on my shoulder strap displayed 91* F (I've noticed it runs high so I'm betting 88* would be about right). Anyway with a medium weight synthetic tee shirt on I was sweating but the mesh panel that I had "arced" to 2 fingers (1"+) on the pack kept that minimized.
I choose the Arc Bast because of the cuben fiber fabric (lite and waterproof), the carbon fiber frame (lite weight and strong) and the mesh panel (air conditioning for my back) so far I can say it has lived up to its billing. I could wish it had more volume (could easily be 1" wider) but then I'd be carrying more crap not less. (Hey, I like my creature comforts, what else can I say).
Finally: The biggest non-performer on this hike was the umbrella, the handle needs to be longer.