PDA

View Full Version : Garlic

the1stranger
12-05-2005, 22:21
Two cloves a day keeps the complainers away. Dont boil it or it wont work. Eat it raw and if someone asks you your trail name, make sure you get close enough reply in a whisper.

It's the closest thing a NOBO can get to a SOBO expereince, and it's alot more sanitary than pissing ones own pants twice a day.

:eek:

Ramble~On
12-06-2005, 10:00
We used to eat two cloves a day in the jungle....
Best "bug repellent" in the world.
Works great on vampires too.

Alligator
12-06-2005, 11:49
I do not eat it raw but I do indulge in copious amounts of garlic. I have never been bitten by a vampire.

Footslogger
12-06-2005, 11:58
Nothin like a big old nasty garlic burp ...

'Slogger

Just Jeff
12-06-2005, 17:39
I have never been bitten by a vampire.

Oh, you should try it...rather fun. The flying bit was cool, too.

Do y'all think those garlic pills (Garlique?) would work against the bugs, too?

Riddick
12-06-2005, 20:26
These have started popping up in many different stores. A bit pricey, but a nice bite or throw them in a salad. They are awesome. I like garlic and love olives so this makes the perfect match. My favorite ones were stuffed with jalapenos & garlic.

greenman
12-06-2005, 20:56
I used to believe in garlic as a bug repellent,but it didnt work in central OR. the only thing i could find to work was those skeeter coils you burn.Well there is only a couple 100 lakes over 150 miles thru there,that could have had something to do with it.

Alligator
12-06-2005, 20:56
These have started popping up in many different stores. A bit pricey, but a nice bite or throw them in a salad. They are awesome. I like garlic and love olives so this makes the perfect match. My favorite ones were stuffed with jalapenos & garlic.
Green or black? Brand name?

Just Jeff
12-06-2005, 21:32
Green. They're awesome.

Uncle Silly
12-07-2005, 14:15
yup. i've found them under the Santa Barbara Olive Co. brand. the garlic-stuffed and jalapeno-and-garlic-stuffed are really good, but stay away from the bleu-cheese-stuffed. ick. (and i like bleu cheese...)

Lanthar Mandragoran
12-07-2005, 15:53
yup. i've found them under the Santa Barbara Olive Co. brand. the garlic-stuffed and jalapeno-and-garlic-stuffed are really good, but stay away from the bleu-cheese-stuffed. ick. (and i like bleu cheese...)

Olives are nasty regardless... *bleck*

Though blue-cheese is quite good.

the1stranger
12-07-2005, 22:13
I wonder how dried green olives are? would be great to add to a dish

fiddlehead
12-07-2005, 22:26
I would think you could dry them. Perhaps they are a bit oily but i've dried Hamburger many times successfully. It just doesn't last as long as non-oily things like broccoli, onions, tomatoes, etc. Perhaps you'd have to keep them in the freezer after drying and eat within a few months.
Maybe you'd have to pat them dry with a towel a few times during the process like hamburger. I think they WOULD be good.

RedneckRye
12-08-2005, 02:15
Garlic makes everything better, dinners at least. Breakfast - probably not. Lunch, yeah sure. Absolutely take it along.

Alligator
12-08-2005, 10:40
Garlic makes everything better, dinners at least. Breakfast - probably not. Lunch, yeah sure. Absolutely take it along.
Garlic+Hash Browns:clap .

Uncle Silly
12-08-2005, 18:04
sure it goes with breakfast. depending. minced garlic mixed into your scrambled eggs or omelett works great. garlic + oatmeal, not so much.

i usually carry a whole head of garlic on the trail. i'll slice a couple of cloves and throw it into whatever i'm cooking ... when it's nearly done, so the garlic doesn't get cooked much. works great with macaroni & cheese, mashed potatoes, ramen, pretty much any trail dinner.

mweinstone
01-05-2006, 00:12
you ate ...now let my bugs eat!thats what drill instructers say if you slap and scratch while in formation.they stood us in a marsh and punished us if we scratched with push ups.thats why i use new and improved garlic deet!

smokymtnsteve
01-05-2006, 01:24
Garlic Grits With Tuna Fish!

PKH
01-05-2006, 06:53
I've dried olives (green and black) a few times, and they do add some flavour and dash to a back country dinner.

Cheers,

PKH

Cookerhiker
01-05-2006, 10:20
......i usually carry a whole head of garlic on the trail. i'll slice a couple of cloves and throw it into whatever i'm cooking ... .

Same here. But not in my oatmeal at breakfast!

Smile
01-05-2006, 12:39
Mmm. Sautee a little garlic and/or onions in some Olive Oil in your pot - scrape em out on/into something...then boil pasta in the same oily pot, drain and add the garlic/onions with a sprinkle of some parmesan cheese - gourmet trail food! Lived off this almost every night last year on trail. YUMM!

Does make polypyro stinkier though.....