PDA

View Full Version : Arden to Pawling NY next week

Arden
10-31-2015, 21:23
Hi;
I will be starting what I expect to be a 4 or 5 day trek from the Metro North / NJT Harriman train station to the AT station at Pawling - with an early bail-out at Peekskill (via Camp Smith trail) if necessary.
Looking at the 2014 AT Data Book, I don't see any water between Hemlock Springs and Dennytown road. I am hoping to be tenting at Graymoor Friary on my 2nd night, and read that there is water available there during the warmer months (assuming it's a water fountain or other plumbed source), but I would expect that source to be unavailable now that the colder weather is here.
Since I have never actually found the Hemlock "spring", and am not sure I want to trust the water there for chemical purity (I use a Sawyer Mini filter), it appears I have two options:
Fill up at BM Inn (I've got the Osprey 3L bladder) and carry all the water I will need until Dennytown road, or, take some water at BMI, and buy bottled water at the quick-mart at route 9 just before the Friary.
If there is water available at the Friary, that will make my question moot.
I'm hoping that with the recent rain, most of the "reliable" sources will be running.

Thanks for any info

Arden

Rain Man
10-31-2015, 22:21
I hiked that section in June with no water problems at all. You can call the Friary if you have questions about the water source there. We did not camp there, but stayed in the "dormitory," thus had running water.

Arden
10-31-2015, 23:19
I hiked that section in June with no water problems at all. You can call the Friary if you have questions about the water source there. We did not camp there, but stayed in the "dormitory," thus had running water.
Sorry to sound uninformed, but what is the "dormitory"?

George
11-01-2015, 04:23
who drinks water on that section, it is part of the "deli hop" and you should be able to buy beer regularly enough to stay hydrated

Rain Man
11-01-2015, 11:49
Sorry to sound uninformed, but what is the "dormitory"?

Well, it's just like a college dorm. Graymoor has lots of "retreats" and that's where participants stay. Graymoor used to all AT hikers to stay in the dorm and fed them on a donation basis. It's one of the places lost because of abuse and mis-use, I believe.

I called Graymoor and made special arrangements for my group to stay there on a paid basis, similar to retreat participants. Thus, we had all the water we wanted. Not to mention showers and laundry. :)

Arden
11-01-2015, 14:44
That's too bad about the Friary. There are always those who will take advantage of someone trying to do a good thing for others - and ruin it for everyone. I wonder about train angels too. If someone comes by and takes the entire stash, the "angels" would probably stop leaving it.
So far as beer is concerned - I did think of that when I found the quick-mart at the Shell station on Google Earth. I would expect they would sell beer, so perhaps I can buy a can or two and take it with me to the Friary field where I will tent. Might help me get to sleep - but of course I would have to "pay the rent" sometime during the night. :(
It would be great if I could get some beer prior to getting on the train to go home. I could pour some into my hydration bladder so as not to openly consume alcohol on a MNCR train - which I don't think is allowed any more. Was nice when the trains had bar cars. I think LIRR was the last to give that up.

linus72
11-01-2015, 15:12
went through there a few weeks ago sobo and stayed at dennytown and hemlock springs. dennytown has a spigot you don't need to filter, and while at hemlock springs the tiny source there was dry except for a puddle, but 1/4 mile (north on the trail for you) or less from the campsite is the copper mine brook just before south mountain pass road and it was running very well early this month. its down the old military road the trail follows from the campsite and is very easy to travel by foot even in the middle of the night. and also as stated above a few more miles north, just before graymoor, you cross Rt 9 and the appalachian market where im sure you could fill up there on water and anything else you need. there's also a brook with a nice mini-waterfall by south highland road that seems like it would run year round.

tiptoe
11-01-2015, 17:46
When I camped at Dennytown about 8 years ago, it had a resident skunk, the sleekest, best-fed, most mellow skunk I have ever encountered. (Dennytown is a boy scout campground, and this skunk was definitely on the cleanup crew.) I was new to backpacking then, and the only camper there. I stupidly left my food bag unattended for a couple of minutes near a central tree while I went to my hammock to retrieve something. On my return, the skunk was clawing at the foodbag's cord. Believe it or not, I was able to talk it into leaving. As it sauntered off, I hung the bag in the tree in record time. True story, one of my best from the trail.

Starchild
11-01-2015, 18:13
.... It's one of the places lost because of abuse and mis-use, I believe.

I've heard the reason was that the monks were 'aging' (not many younger monks entering anymore) and it was just getting too much for them to host the thru hikers inside. Not because of any hiker abuse or problems.

Starchild
11-01-2015, 18:17
You can also get tap water at the AT deli (Rt 9) if you really wanted to.

I believe pizza delivery is available at Graymore spiritual center and it is still available at RPH shelter, whcih I'm sure you can also order water or other (non-alcoholic) beverages.

There are multiple natural water sources along the entire route.

I would expect the tap at Dennington Rd to be shut off for the season.

George
11-01-2015, 21:51
from the metro north rules:

(d) drink any alcoholic beverage or possess any opened or unsealed container of alcoholic beverage, except in premises or areas allowing the sale or consumption of alcoholic beverages, such as on trains or platforms or in bars or restaurants;

looks like on the train is OK, probably not in the stations

Arden
11-01-2015, 22:16
from the metro north rules:

(d) drink any alcoholic beverage or possess any opened or unsealed container of alcoholic beverage, except in premises or areas allowing the sale or consumption of alcoholic beverages, such as on trains or platforms or in bars or restaurants;

looks like on the train is OK, probably not in the stations
I think that would apply only if the train has a bar car (which I thought they discontinued years ago), and you probably are required to purchase your alcohol at their bar, not BYOB. If I were to replace the water in my hydration bladder, which is contained within my pack, I doubt anyone would notice - or care. Probably not a good idea in any case. I can wait until I reach GCT or home.

Arden
11-01-2015, 22:25
went through there a few weeks ago sobo and stayed at dennytown and hemlock springs. dennytown has a spigot you don't need to filter, and while at hemlock springs the tiny source there was dry except for a puddle, but 1/4 mile (north on the trail for you) or less from the campsite is the copper mine brook just before south mountain pass road and it was running very well early this month. its down the old military road the trail follows from the campsite and is very easy to travel by foot even in the middle of the night. and also as stated above a few more miles north, just before graymoor, you cross Rt 9 and the appalachian market where im sure you could fill up there on water and anything else you need. there's also a brook with a nice mini-waterfall by south highland road that seems like it would run year round.
I read a note somewhere that said "do not use stream at gate", referring to South Mountain Pass - Manitou rd.
It's not far from there to the "AT Deli" anyway. I will be sure to have enough water to reach route 9.
BTW: I assume when someone refers to the "appalachian market" or "AT deli", they are talking about the quick-mart at the gas station at route 9/403.

tdoczi
11-01-2015, 22:29
I read a note somewhere that said "do not use stream at gate", referring to South Mountain Pass - Manitou rd.
It's not far from there to the "AT Deli" anyway. I will be sure to have enough water to reach route 9.
BTW: I assume when someone refers to the "appalachian market" or "AT deli", they are talking about the quick-mart at the gas station at route 9/403.

been awhile and i was day hiking so i probably didnt stop but theres a very small strip mall (like 4 stores at most) with both a deli and a pizza joint. i think that thes appalchian market.

tdoczi
11-01-2015, 22:34
scratch that, what im thinking of is a little further up the trail, but youll get there too.

Arden
11-01-2015, 23:54
Googled "appalachian market" and found that Shell station. The store is called "Appalachian Market". Maybe more than just a quick-mart.

Rain Man
11-02-2015, 00:37
Googled "appalachian market" and found that Shell station. The store is called "Appalachian Market". Maybe more than just a quick-mart.

We ate there. Has outside picnic tables. Also has dispenser for making your own milkshakes! Good place.

Starchild
11-02-2015, 06:39
Metro North for a long time has been BYOB, I believe it still is, though I have not gone into the city in a while. They sell drinks on the platform for you to carry on and consume. Same true for LIRR. Penn and Grand Central station have also a variety of vendors ready to sell beer/wine for the train trip. You are not required to buy your booze from them. That is unless rules have recently changed.

Starchild
11-02-2015, 06:46
Yes much more. It has quicky store type stuff, but also a complete NY style deli - great selection of made to order dishes (not a quicky mart deli), and a NY style pizzeria with all the going toppings available, (again not a quicky mart pizza). Both deli and pizza sections are manned, and frequent very busy, deli usually has 2-3 dedicated workers, the pizza section 1. Where you pay is another set of workers.

It's hard to believe how much fits inside that store.

tdoczi
11-02-2015, 07:39
Metro North for a long time has been BYOB, I believe it still is, though I have not gone into the city in a while. They sell drinks on the platform for you to carry on and consume. Same true for LIRR. Penn and Grand Central station have also a variety of vendors ready to sell beer/wine for the train trip. You are not required to buy your booze from them. That is unless rules have recently changed.

you're "allowed" and people commonly do, drink from a bottle in a brown bag. if you were to hold an open can of beer not in a bag i do believe itd be a different story. also, penn station recently stopped the selling of canned beer to go by all of the food vendors in an effort to crack down on it indirectly.

Arden
11-02-2015, 12:04
Thanks for the info. I'll see where I finish - if it's a long wait for the next train at AT, I will hike along road to Pawling.

Arden
11-02-2015, 12:06
Yes much more. It has quicky store type stuff, but also a complete NY style deli - great selection of made to order dishes (not a quicky mart deli), and a NY style pizzeria with all the going toppings available, (again not a quicky mart pizza). Both deli and pizza sections are manned, and frequent very busy, deli usually has 2-3 dedicated workers, the pizza section 1. Where you pay is another set of workers.

It's hard to believe how much fits inside that store.
I may remove some of the food items i have packed and buy at the market. Would help to lighten my already overweight pack. Just can't seem to get the weight below 40lbs. But if I can depend on a stop at the market, I can probably manage to reduce it by a few lbs at least.

Arden
11-02-2015, 12:10
I hope they allow me to enter the market with my pack on. I can't expect there to be other hikers there to watch my pack while I go inside. Certainly wouldn't leave it outside. I recall being on the Skyline Drive in VA and seeing a sign outside one of the hiker stores advising that packs were not allowed inside. Wouldn't be too much of a problem down there - lots of hikers passing through - easy to find someone to watch your pack while you go inside and v/v theirs.

linus72
11-02-2015, 16:05
they allowed us to bring our packs inside the market so we could keep an eye on it. good deli, pizza and everything else!

Arden
11-02-2015, 16:30
they allowed us to bring our packs inside the market so we could keep an eye on it. good deli, pizza and everything else!
That sounds real good. After two days eating dehydrated food, the pizza or maybe a deli sandwich will be a treat.

Rain Man
11-03-2015, 09:39
Thanks for the info. I'll see where I finish - if it's a long wait for the next train at AT, I will hike along road to Pawling.

You can call for a taxi, if you wish.

Arden
11-03-2015, 11:07
You can call for a taxi, if you wish.Yes. I was thinking Uber or a regular taxi. Uber would probably be easier, since I already have the app and an account. But if the weather is good, and it's not dark, I wouldn't mind the 3 mile hike along the road. Did a Google street view and it looks pretty safe. Wide buffer on northbound side of road should be fine for walking, especially in hiking boots. OTOH, I might just hang out at the AT station and try to muster up a QSO on my amateur handheld. Despite its weight of about 1lb, I decided to take it. I can carry it in one of the hip pockets on my Osprey Atmos 65 pack, so I shouldn't feel the weight of it.

LAZ
11-05-2015, 23:06
Cell phone reception in Pawling can be touch and go. A suggestion that was made to me that I'll pass along is that you will probably have reception around the Telephone Pioneer shelterjunction, so if you are planning to call for a ride from the train station, call ahead from there. The AT train station itself is just a bench, but it's a pleasant enough place to wait if you get there before your ride. I guess you should bear that in mind in general - when you have reception, use it. But I can confirm that there does seem to be consistent reception at the top of the hill near the TP shelter.

BillyGr
11-06-2015, 22:46
Yes. I was thinking Uber or a regular taxi. Uber would probably be easier, since I already have the app and an account.

Not likely that Uber is allowed there - as far as I know only NY City allows it. They have been trying to get the laws changed so it can be offered in the rest of NY State, but no luck so far.

Arden
11-08-2015, 15:16
Not likely that Uber is allowed there - as far as I know only NY City allows it. They have been trying to get the laws changed so it can be offered in the rest of NY State, but no luck so far.
Thanks for that info;
My trek ended at Peekskill train stn instead of the AT station in Pawling. It took me four days to get across Harriman/Bear Mtn park. Warm weather was probably the biggest factor, but it was my first trek of this length.
I had a great time. Trekking across the park was always one of my goals. I think I overrated my strength/stamina. I had figured that I could get from the Harriman train stn to the BM bridge in 1-1/2 days, but I was basing that on my running without a large pack. My pack weighed 40lbs at the start. I know that is too heavy, but I couldn't give up the bear canister (3lbs) just yet. I only got to Fingerboard (had expected to reach at least Brien shelter on the 1st day. On the 2nd day I was still very tired, and only reached Brien. 3rd day I made it to West Mountain, and on the 4th day I reached the bridge, and hiked up to Anthony's Nose, then down the Camp Smith trail to Peekskill. I don't know where I got the idea that there was a trail along route 6 into Peekskill, as there was no such trail. I hiked a ways on the road where there was a wide shoulder, but after it began to narrow, I crossed the road - no easy feat with the heavy traffic and in the dark - and hiked a short distance on the safe side of the guardrail in the weeks until that became impossible, then crossed the road again and hiked to a road that leads towards the river into an industrial complex. I didn't really know what to do at that point. Turning around and heading back up the trail to the AT and sleeping at Hemlock Springs crossed my mind, but I was tired, and knew it would take me hours to do that. Then came a true Trail Angel. A young man and his wife/girlfriend pulled up into the side road while I was across the highway and asked me if I needed a ride. I accepted his ride to the Peekskill train station. The guy told me that he had hiked the CS trail after having walked from the train station during the day, but got someone to pick him up when he was done.

So, my next hike will be from South Mountain pass - Manitou road to the NY/CT line - Wingdale where I can get a train home. I will take the train to Manitou and hike up the road to the trail.
I learned a lot on this trek - for one, I need to dump the bear canister and get a dry bag to hold my food. I just need to practice hanging the bear bag before I go.

Arden

Arden
11-08-2015, 15:28
I guess if Uber doesn't cover this area, I could have called a regular (licensed) taxi. Looks like the bike/walkway starts on the Jans Peek causeway and runs into town. What's the sense in that? Where do people ride/run/walk to?

Arden
11-08-2015, 16:37
Cell phone reception in Pawling can be touch and go. A suggestion that was made to me that I'll pass along is that you will probably have reception around the Telephone Pioneer shelterjunction, so if you are planning to call for a ride from the train station, call ahead from there. The AT train station itself is just a bench, but it's a pleasant enough place to wait if you get there before your ride. I guess you should bear that in mind in general - when you have reception, use it. But I can confirm that there does seem to be consistent reception at the top of the hill near the TP shelter.
Thanks. That's great info. Interestingly, I found that sometimes when cell reception is poor, that you can get a data signal and get on the Internet. That happened to me at Brien shelter. I was looking for that well I was told I could find water in. I saw the "blue" blaze trail, but the blazes were more gray than blue, and I thought it was an abandoned trail. Anyway, I tried to call NY/NJ TC by phone but lost the signal before they could answer, so I tried Internet, and sure enough, I was able to get Google and found the water.
I was really tired at that point, and after searching for that well for more than half an hour, it didn't even occur to me right away when I found the info online that East off the AT doesn't mean compass reading east, it only means that if you're NOBO, you turn right. That is exactly where the trail to the water is.

For my next "section" hike on the AT, I will go thru to Wingdale. I don't know how I will get to the train from there, but I will research before I go.

Hummy585
11-09-2015, 08:43
Look me up ahead of time, I'm nearly always around during the weekdays, sometimes on the weekends. I may be able to help you out...

Arden
11-11-2015, 15:02
I checked into one taxi / limo service, and they gave me a quote of $110 to take me from the AT crossing on CT route 55 to Wingdale train station. For that price, I could probably fly home, if I was near an airport!
I checked into Uber, and they are allowed to work in the state of CT, and apparently it is not a problem for a driver to cross into NY. I got a quote of $10-13 for Uber X from the AT to Wingdale. That's more like it!