PDA

View Full Version : 1.1 Ounce Trail Entertainment

Vegan Packer
10-31-2015, 21:58
I just finished initial testing of an impressive little digital audio player, the RUIZU X02 DIGITAL AUDIO PLAYER. I purchased it for $21 off of Amazon.

The player will play MP3 format (as well as WMA and WAV), has a built in FM radio receiver, and has a user adjustable equalizer. It has other features, such as a built in audio recorder, the ability to play videos (though apparently only in AMV format, and on a very small screen), view pictures, and view e-books, but since those are not really very important for my needs while on the trail (other than maybe bringing a few family pictures along), I will confine my brief introduction to using it for playing MP3 audio (for audio books and music) and FM radio.

The unit comes with either 4Gg (a few dollars cheaper) or 8Gg internal memory, but you can expand this with up to an additional 64Gg removable memory card (not included with the purchase). It has plastic case with a small screen, and user controls on the exterior. It measures 3.5" x 1.5" x .2". Without ear buds, it weighs only 30 grams or 1.1 ounces. It has an internal battery, and you will need a USB to mini-USB cable for charging and data transfer to the internal memory, but you receive one in the box with your purchase.

The sound is really good (though I never tried using the cheapie and uncomfortable looking ear buds that come with the player), and that is without even playing around with the internal equalizer the comes in the unit. FM reception is also quite good, and you can allow the unit to automatically or manually add presets to the station list that gets stored in the unit's memory. The unit also has a built-in timer, so that you can set the player so that it automatically shuts down, for example, after you fall asleep.

Battery life is good to excellent, depending upon usage mode. In that regard, while testing as an MP3 player, I got 83 hours of continuous loop play of a single track that I loaded into the player's memory, three more hours than claimed by the manufacturer. Using the unit for playing FM radio apparently causes a much heavier draw on the battery, because I got about only 16.5 hours of play, testing twice to be sure of this number.

The controls are a little funky, and not super intuitive at first, but that is about the biggest negative I found during my initial use. After a short learning curve, that will not be a big deal. Speaking of controls, there is a main power switch, and then you have to hold down a button in order to power on the unit, so there is little likelihood that you will accidentally turn on the unit while carrying it in your pack or pocket.

I haven't yet loaded an audio book onto the player, and I understand that there are limited formats that will work in this regard.

Adding files to the unit is pretty easy. Once you plug in with the included USB cable, your computer will see the player as a storage device. You can then just drag desired files onto the unit.

So far, I am pretty happy with this little player. My last player worked well, but it required me to bring batteries on the trail. I wanted to find something that weighed less than the former player plus batteries, but that would last for stretches until the next time that I would have a chance to charge the player's batteries.

Here (http://ruizu.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008849775302/pdtl/Flash-MP3/1125064239/Multifunctional-MP3-player.htm) is the link to the manufacturer's web site, but, like I said, I bought mine from Amazon. I also paid about $3.66 for an Amazon extended drop protection warranty.

JaketheFake
10-31-2015, 23:13
Sounds very cool I'll check it out . Thanks

Kookork
11-01-2015, 00:58
That is exactly what I needed. Thank you. It also has decent reviews on Amazon.

Fredt4
11-01-2015, 11:58
Wonder what my smartphones battery life is playing music with the screen off?