PDA

View Full Version : Primaloft vs polarguard?

JohnG
12-05-2005, 23:12
Hi all --

I'm pruchasing materials for two quilts (under and over) to use with my HH asym hammock during an AT thru-hike next summer (NOBO, starting in April).

I'm planning on making my quilts good to about 20 degrees. I can get polarguard through owfinc, or primaloft from a couple of other places. As far as I can tell, the price and weght are roughly equivalent for the two insulations (The polarguard might be a hair lighter. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know!)

Any thoughts on which material I should use? Which is easier to work with?

Thanks.

-john

Just Jeff
12-06-2005, 02:56
I hear Polarguard drapes better for quilts and such, while Primaloft works better for clothing and such. I think someone said Polarguard functions better than Primaloft when wet, too.

But I made my quilt/underquilt set and an insulated hammock out of Primaloft and it worked fine. I'd say you're good with either.

Alligator
12-06-2005, 11:55
Any thoughts on the durability of Primaloft vs. Polarguard (3d and Delta)? I have multiple items of each. I am concerned about my new Polarguard Delta sleeping bag. It came with a compression sack and I do not like the idea of using it. Compressability might be a factor in quilt construction too, although a quilts tend to be on the smaller size.

Patrick
12-07-2005, 00:42
I've used only Polarguard 3D and would recommend it for quilts. It's a continuous large sheet so it doesn't need a ton of stabilization. It's also extremely easy to work with. You can cut it with regular scissors just fine and it sews well. It's also decently lighter than Primaloft.

Do you have a plan you're working off of? There are some good ones on the web. I've been thinking about putting up directions on my site on how to make your own, too.

stupe
12-07-2005, 19:42
My sleeping bag is Polarguard 3D, and I attest that it is warm. I never sewed with it.

JohnG
12-07-2005, 20:41
Thanks for the thoughts. Anyone have any other thoughts?

Patrick -- I don't really have a pattern yet. I've looked at a couple of "how I did this..." articles on the web, but not any patterns. I'm planning on making one based on my , but would certainly love to see yours. If you are considering posting directions or a pattern, please do. It would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if anyone has links to patterns or how-tos on hammock quilts, please post them!

Thanks,
-john

Just Jeff
12-07-2005, 23:58
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearKidsHammock.html for my homemade underquilt/top quilt set. This one is sized for the kids hammock on the same page, but change the dimensions and the design will work for a bigger hammock.

Patrick
12-08-2005, 00:49
John, I will put something together in the next few days. I just got a new digital camera, so it will be the perfect project to play around with it on.

I'll put something on here or PM you when it's up.

hammock engineer
12-08-2005, 12:28
Does anyone have the weights? I am trying to work out how much lighter down will be versus the trouble.

JohnG
12-08-2005, 17:41
Jeff -- thanks, I saw your site awhile ago, but hadn't looked at it for wome time. How warm is the 1.3" of primaloft?

Patrick -- great! Please do let me know when you have the info up.

-john

Youngblood
12-08-2005, 18:20
Does anyone have the weights? I am trying to work out how much lighter down will be versus the trouble.
A few years ago when I was looking at the same thing with blankets here is what I came up with on my spreadsheet when I manipulated the various numbers I found for the materials: Primaloft is 259 in^3/oz, Polarguard is 432 in^/oz and 800 down is 800 in^3/oz. You didn't ask but I was also looking a 3M's Thinsulate Lite Loft and came up with 361 in^3/oz. Keep in mind that these are numbers I came up with (except for the down) based on info I could find from where ever, maybe the manufacturer of either a retailer. They apparently don't like to spec their products so you can make an easy comparison to down.

Down baffles are a little tricky and usually fool folks the first time through and they end up with things understuffed. This can lead to cold spots and excessive down shifting. Some folks never quite figure it out and just accept through trial and error that they need more down and call it overstuffing... that works.

Just Jeff
12-08-2005, 18:48
How warm is the 1.3" of primaloft?

I could probably do about 55F in it and I sleep cold. My son is probably good to 45F in it and he sleeps very warm.

hammock engineer
12-09-2005, 01:30
Thanks Youngblood that is what I was looking for. It basically looks like synethic is weights twice as much as down will.

bubba295
05-15-2007, 09:48
Where are you buying the Polargard insulation? I used to have the link, but now I can't seem to find it.
thanks