PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Section Suggestions?

Rmcpeak
11-02-2015, 12:20
What's a good 40-60 mile section for the week of Thanksgiving?

FarmerChef
11-02-2015, 12:50
Depends on what your goal is with the hike, how far you're willing to travel, etc. Off the cuff, I could recommend knocking off WV and MD plus a bit of southern PA or a bit of Northern VA down to US50. There are plenty of road crossings with food/shuttles/shuttles to food available and a hostel or two if you need a break.

SNP is awesome any time of year but access to services is much more limited in the fall/winter.

Further south in VA, I always recommend Daleville south to hit Tinkers Cliffs, the reservoir, McAfee's Knob and Dragon's tooth.

Still further south, a lovely hike can be had from Atkins south to Damascus and even further into Tennessee if mileage/time allows (say down to Wautauga Lake or even past it to Laurel Falls and Bob People's place or Black Bear Hostel.

PAFranklin
11-02-2015, 13:03
I've done SNP in late fall and it would always be on my short list.

saltysack
11-02-2015, 13:47
Atkins south to Damascus is amazing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rmcpeak
11-02-2015, 13:56
I guess what I'm looking for is suggestions for sections that have very little chance of harsh winter conditions. I have "3 season" gear (20 degree bag, etc). I've recently done VA Trip Crown and Mt. Rogers. I'll start looking closer at SNP or MD sections. I was sort of thinking about Harper's Ferry to Pen-Mar. (I live in WV). How would that be in late fall? Anything to look at through there? Any hostels or nice/cheap accommodations on way?

I'm aware that my OP was very broad and open. Sorry if that's annoying. Thanks for advice. Keep it coming!

Night Train
11-02-2015, 14:03
Throw a dart and surprise yourself.

chknfngrs
11-02-2015, 14:03
If not for hunting season, the Massanutten Trail is fantastic.

Rmcpeak
11-02-2015, 14:07
Throw a dart and surprise yourself.
I'd probably miss the map! Bad aim!

Rmcpeak
11-02-2015, 14:09
Oh yeah, hunting season. Did Dolly Sods, WV last season. Early in the morning it was crawling with bear hunters and dogs but they cleared out by lunchtime. SNP might be a good option. No hunting in the NP, right?

Rmcpeak
11-02-2015, 14:12
Last WEEKEND, not season. Doh!

Rmcpeak
11-02-2015, 14:12
It must be Monday because I am WhiteBlaze talking about hiking!

FarmerChef
11-02-2015, 14:41
I guess what I'm looking for is suggestions for sections that have very little chance of harsh winter conditions. I have "3 season" gear (20 degree bag, etc). I've recently done VA Trip Crown and Mt. Rogers. I'll start looking closer at SNP or MD sections. I was sort of thinking about Harper's Ferry to Pen-Mar. (I live in WV). How would that be in late fall? Anything to look at through there? Any hostels or nice/cheap accommodations on way?

I'm aware that my OP was very broad and open. Sorry if that's annoying. Thanks for advice. Keep it coming!

SNP is lovely this time of year and views are abundant. If I had a choice between that and Maryland I would choose SNP. The tradeoff is the weather is tougher in SNP than in MD that time of year so go prepared knowing it can be down to the single digits if a really cold snap hits you at elevation.

As for hostels in MD - there are two hostels in Harpers Ferry/Knoxville. There's another one in Smithsburg, MD (Free State Hiker Hostel). There is also Dahlgren Backpacker Campground which is literally right beside the trail and has showers/toilets to boot. I don't know if they winterize/close that down at a certain point however. We have stayed a couple of times and it still had running water in the fall.

Kaptainkriz
11-08-2015, 15:22
There is also Dahlgren Backpacker Campground which is literally right beside the trail and has showers/toilets to boot. I don't know if they winterize/close that down at a certain point however. We have stayed a couple of times and it still had running water in the fall.

nice facility...hot showers are the bomb! I was just there this weekend. The porta pottie just showed up this weekend and the sign says the restroom/shower is open through October. There is no heat inside and it looks like they winterize it for the cold season. The owls were wicked noisy this AM. :)