PDA

View Full Version : SPOT products FREE after rebate, then add subscription fee

Disco
11-02-2015, 15:20
For those interested in SPOT products, there is a rebate until Dec 31, 2015, making three products FREE. Subscription fees cost extra, of course. Links below:

General ad:
www.FindMeSPOT.com/FREE (http://www.FindMeSPOT.com/FREE)

REI's ad for SPOT Gen3
http://www.rei.com/product/860469/spot-gen3-satellite-gps-messenger

Rebate form:
http://www.rei.com/assets/pdf/rebates/spot/spot-rebate-20151101-20151231.pdf

PAFranklin
11-02-2015, 15:27
Looks like you need to purchase directly from SPOT.

RESTRICTIONS: Limit one (1) SPOT Global Phone, one (1) SPOT GEN3 and/or one (1) SPOT Trace per rebate submission. Limit three (3) rebate form submissionsper address. Taxes and shipping not included. Offer NOT VALID for Orbit 10/40 or Galaxy 120/480 service plans. Valid for new subscription(s) only. Offer NOTVALID when upgrading devices. Purchases from E-Bay Auctions, Amazon or other secondary distribution sources are not eligible for this rebate. Thisrebate may not be combined with other service promotions/discounts. Pre-owned product is not eligible. Rebate Payable in US dollars for US Residents. Not valid in Canada.

I just bought a SPOT Gen3 a couple weeks ago. Wife insisted I get one for my solo winter treks.

Spacelord
11-02-2015, 17:56
My wife is hot and heavy on me to get a Spot. This may be the time to do it

Disco
11-02-2015, 20:54
Looks like you need to purchase directly from SPOT.

RESTRICTIONS: Limit one (1) SPOT Global Phone, one (1) SPOT GEN3 and/or one (1) SPOT Trace per rebate submission. Limit three (3) rebate form submissionsper address. Taxes and shipping not included. Offer NOT VALID for Orbit 10/40 or Galaxy 120/480 service plans. Valid for new subscription(s) only. Offer NOTVALID when upgrading devices. Purchases from E-Bay Auctions, Amazon or other secondary distribution sources are not eligible for this rebate. Thisrebate may not be combined with other service promotions/discounts. Pre-owned product is not eligible. Rebate Payable in US dollars for US Residents. Not valid in Canada.

I just bought a SPOT Gen3 a couple weeks ago. Wife insisted I get one for my solo winter treks.

Direct purchase required, or not? Indeed confusing, considering REI is advertising the rebate form on their website.

Water Rat
11-02-2015, 21:08
Since REI is advertising the rebate, my take is that retail stores are not exempt. Places like Amazon, Ebay, etc.... This offer is not valid for those places because that would mean someone could collect this rebate and then sell the Spot for more money.

In the fine print it also says you must provide proof of activation for this rebate to be redeemed. That means you can't give this as a gift unless you know what plan your loved one wants.... I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to immediately activate the Spot.

scrabbler
11-02-2015, 21:15
Also curious is the fine print - "Free SPOT Gen3 is contingent upon customer signing a 12 month service agreement on a Basic and Unlimited service plan."

To me that means that in addition to the Basic $149/yr fee, they also require you also to get the $149 Unlmitted tracking plan add-on, for a total of ~$300.

Theosus
11-02-2015, 21:23
I've been considering a SPOT, just to let the family know I'm okay, but I think I'll stick with hoping for a signal and hiking with my friends that can go for help if the need arises. Plus, part of the joy of hiking is leaving everything behind.

4eyedbuzzard
11-02-2015, 22:28
Also curious is the fine print - "Free SPOT Gen3 is contingent upon customer signing a 12 month service agreement on a Basic and Unlimited service plan."

To me that means that in addition to the Basic $149/yr fee, they also require you also to get the $149 Unlmitted tracking plan add-on, for a total of ~$300.

I read $199.98 for the mandatory year if paid in full, or 19.98/mo for 12 months. http://www.findmespot.com/FREE/lander.php?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=vanity&utm_campaign=2015SPOTHoliday