PDA

View Full Version : Thermolite Reactor Extreme

Rmcpeak
11-02-2015, 17:36
I'm thinking of getting a Thermolite Reactor (Extreme?) to line a 20 deg synth BA mummy in cold weather and maybe use as a warm weather bag and/or with a 40 deg synth quilt. Good idea? Pros/cons? Better options?

I was a little chilly on a 28 deg night recently in the BA bag (with base layer and down jacket). planning late Nov section hike and don't want to shiver all night.

Maybe just use the quilt in the bag? Bulky though....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Venchka
11-02-2015, 18:26
Quilt over the bag would be in line with old school over bag practice.

Wayne

Pastor Bryon
11-03-2015, 01:25
I use an EE 40d quilt most of the year. When it is warmer I use a silk/cotton liner, when colder a thermolite reactor. I've been good down to about 25-30 degrees with no difficulties wearing a base layer, socks, and hat. I like it. Not a lot of extra weight given the warmth given. I recommend it.

Rmcpeak
11-03-2015, 14:24
Quilt over the bag would be in line with old school over bag practice.

Wayne

I like old school.

Rmcpeak
11-03-2015, 14:25
I use an EE 40d quilt most of the year. When it is warmer I use a silk/cotton liner, when colder a thermolite reactor. I've been good down to about 25-30 degrees with no difficulties wearing a base layer, socks, and hat. I like it. Not a lot of extra weight given the warmth given. I recommend it.

Is the Thermolite Reactor too warm for warm weather use as a primary sleeping bag?

Pastor Bryon
11-03-2015, 23:01
Is the Thermolite Reactor too warm for warm weather use as a primary sleeping bag?

I wouldn't think so. As a sleeping bag I don't think it would hold much heat by itself. There is no zipper, but you can still push it down to regulate your temp. Haven't tried it that way yet, but plan to sometime in the next year.

daddytwosticks
11-04-2015, 08:10
If you toss and turn while you sleep, you will be in misery inside a bag liner. Just my experience. :)

slbirdnerd
11-04-2015, 13:47
I have a Reactor Extreme and while I haven't been able to bring myself to carry it yet, did use it on a trial outback on a 30-degree night and found it added warmth to a down bag that wasn't true to its rating. I would take it if I had real concerns about my bag not being enough on a particular trip. Having said that, yeah, it's like being wrapped in a python in your bag. I thought about cutting it into more of a smaller sheet/blanket, losing the foot and head parts as I am usually more cold in the middle (plus I got some amazing down booties).

Rmcpeak
11-04-2015, 16:52
I'm thinking I might be better off with my Costco quilt inside my bag, or me EE quilt over my bag. And wearing every clothing item including rain shell, hat, gloves, etc. I toss and turn a lot.

BonBon
11-04-2015, 21:05
I used a down 22 degree bag and added a 16 degree thermolite liner after nearly freezing to death in the smokies. It kept me comfy for the rest if the way. Some times I just used the liner. Sent both home and use a fleece for a couple of weeks but it was cold even in the summer in 2015. I'm from Florida- so take that with a grain of sissy.

Rain Man
11-05-2015, 09:40
And wearing every clothing item including rain shell, hat, gloves, etc.

That's "common sense," but the opposite of how it works, per many.

My coldest night on the AT was a summer night on a mountain, with a fleece bag and all my clothes on, including rain gear. Miserable.

Rmcpeak
11-05-2015, 21:06
Are you saying wearing all clothing can make you colder?