PDA

View Full Version : Good starting point for a 10-12 week section hike?

atronc
11-04-2015, 01:32
Hey all! My girlfriend and I are planning to section hike at least half of the AT this summer, from mid-May to early or mid-August. We want to be able to make it to Katahdin and not have to worry about exact mileage every day. Where would you guys suggest starting? Some thoughts we had were somewhere in northern Virginia, or maybe Harper's Ferry.

paule
11-04-2015, 01:54
Your looking at 1200 miles, so at 12 weeks 100 miles a week about 14 miles a day.Is that acceptable?That's with no zero days and also going through the whites.So I would start at least at harpers ferry....

squeezebox
11-04-2015, 02:41
Since you live in New York why not start there and head north. If you finish early there's a lot of other hiking up there. Or maybe get to D.C. and head south after Kathadyn. or head to Canada. Lots of options. If you head north what about mud season?

Starchild
11-04-2015, 07:36
Splash joined me during her summer session, so about the same amount of time you have. She went slower then I could have gone (she is a small person and also didn't have her trail legs), but I chose to hike with her with some separations. She went from Front Royal to mid PA, got off trail for a week, rejoined me in CT and we continued together to Stratton MA where she had to get picked up to go back to work orientation (she did return to summit with me on Labor Day/Katahdin Day).

As we were getting through NH and ME she started to realize that she didn't have enough time to make it to Katahdin and it bothered her and disappointed her quite a bit and often. I had to give her extra hugs. All and all we figure she did about 700 or so miles during her summer break. If she didn't get off trail for that apx week she would have added 125-150 miles to that or so bring it to a potential for 850.

I would take that 850 miles as a reasonable lower limit if you want to ensure summiting Katahdin, most likely you will go a bit faster and that will also put you more relaxed, not trying to make the summit date before you run out of time. Which would put your start on a gravel road in NJ, or as someone said above, just start in NY as you live there, I would suggest the Hudson river, or Bear Mountain since it's iconic as it was the first section of the AT. The east side of the Hudson is also easier then the west, so a good place to build up to it, things don't get rough till NH

bigcranky
11-04-2015, 07:45
You're young? Experienced backpackers? Harper's Ferry. It'll be a challenge, but it's doable in 12 weeks.

This is your first time, and you want a better chance of reaching Katahdin in ten weeks? Delaware Water Gap.

I understand the desire to finish at Katahdin rather than start there and just quit when you run out of time. On the one hand, it would be much easier logistically to start at Katahdin and just hike for ten weeks. No pressure. But -- having that goal of reaching Katahdin can be a huge motivation to keep going when things suck on the trail (which will happen). The only reason we finished the Long Trail was to make it to the border monument. It was a powerful draw.

DavidNH
11-04-2015, 09:35
Start at Williamstown, MA and go through VT, NH, and ME. Why not get right into the good stuff?

Just Bill
11-04-2015, 10:13
My choice would be New York. May isn't the end of the world to hit Vermud, but since you have the chance to spend july and august in the northwoods why squander it by arriving early.

Besides, I thought NY, NJ, MA, Conn were some of the prettiest sections of the trail... not to mention you'll get a chance to get some legs under you and better enjoy the northern states as well as get the mental boost of crossing multiple state lines right off the bat. VT, NH, ME are all amazing, but they are that much more enjoyable with a little trail time under your hipbelt before you arrive.

If the distances look a little daunting, slide your start a state or too north. I think if you time it so that you hit Maine Junction (inn at LT) in Vermont by mid june or so... you'll have a clean 6-8 weeks to do the Northwoods. Not to mention you'll miss most of the worst bugs and in recent years the flooding conditions and dangerous fords. About 500 miles IIRC for MJ to big K. A zero every week would put you about 12.5 MPHD which is a solid pace. Keep in mind the average NOBO thru hiker only pulls in the low teens in that section of the trail.

The worst that happens is you finish a week or two early and bum around up there or have some time to unwind before you have to get back to it.

Slo-go'en
11-04-2015, 13:58
I would start at the Delaware Water Gap. That starts you off on reasonably easy trail and gives time for the trail to dry out and the bugs to abate some before you get up into New England, yet gives you plenty of time to get to Katahdin. A lot of it depends on if we have another dry spring or a wet one.

Opps, I see you asked the same question in Straight forward. I thought I had given the same advice last night...