PDA

View Full Version : Thru-HIking packing list

ScottP
12-06-2005, 01:00
I've seen a ton of these reviewed. I would appreciate it if I could be added to the list.

I plan on hiking the AT SOBO starting in mid-June with a good friend. We plan to hike somewhat quickly once we get going (20-25 miles). We are both athletic. Please critique my gear list (sorry that it got a little bit de-formatted)

oz $

Osprey Atmos 35 (med) 41 160

Clothes:
Mountain Hardwear Fleece 19 125 (have now)
REI swift long sleeve (L) 6(est) 40
REI mobility pullover (L) 10(est) 60 (owned)
Mesh shorts 8(est) (own)
Montrail hardrock (11) 26 95 (love my pair)
Frogg Toggs (L) 16 70
2x smartwool hiking socks 10 34

2x liner socks 2 12
hat 8 own plenty
Total 105 461/251
In pack 59
(doesn’t include shoes, 1 set of socks, shorts, or longsleeve T)

Sleeping

Ridgerest short (trimmed) 7 17
GoLite feather (20) 29 300 (already own)

Mountain Hardwear Waypoint 2 28/person 155/person
Total 64 472/172

Cooking
MSR Titan 2L 4/person 35/perso
Titanium Zip Stove 5/person 65/perso
2x 32 oz Gatorade bottles 5 (est) 0
Total 14 115

Misc
Black Diamond LED headlamp, med kit, hygiene, maps, books, lighters, spoons, compass, bear bag rope, bug spray, aqua mira, duct tape, etc. 10/person, $75/person

Total expense: $1123/773

Pack weight without food: 11lb 12 oz
Pack weight including food/water: 12 lbs-25lbs

I know that I could probably shave off 2.5 pounds by lightening up my pack and tent, but I’m not sure if I’d want to. I own an Osprey Aether 30 (22 oz) and I love it (The Aether 30 actually served me well on a semi-lightweight trip to the Adirondacks in the summer), but I think I might go enjoy the extra suspension of the Atmos and be willing to carry the extra pound and a quarter for it.
I know that I could probably find a lighter shelter, but I’m not sure if I can find a lighter shelter that will protect two people from bugs, is reasonably priced, and that I can trust to hold up to a thru-hike.
I think that with two people the zip stove’s power and lack of a fuel requirement will make it a bit lighter than an alcohol stove upsized for two people plus the weight of fuel for two people.
I plan on buying food as we go rather than through mail drops.

Thanks in advance

Scott

fiddlehead
12-06-2005, 01:25
you'll do fine.

The only thing i would do different is not to take both liner sox and wool. I'd take one for the cold, (2 pr.) and the liners for when it's warm (by themselves) i know some use both, but i never saw the need.
Your cooking pot may be too big for one or too small for two, up to you but i like the zip stove for sure.

Peaks
12-06-2005, 08:44
There are different opinions about liner socks. Some say they help prevent blisters. Others say that they are not necessary with a good quality hiking sock. My advise is that liner socks can't hurt, and may actually help prevent blisters. I recomment that you use liner socks until your feet are well conditioned and boots broken in.

Footslogger
12-06-2005, 11:44
I carried a pair or two of coolmax liners and used them around camp in my sandals. Felt good having something on my feet but a full hiking sock wasn't necessary. I wore wool in the colder months and switched out to Thorlo Light Hikers in the warmer months.

'Slogger

K-Man
12-06-2005, 12:53
Make sure you are really cool with your friend if you two are going to be sharing some gear. I was always under the impression that no matter how close you are with someone you should be able to operate independently when on the AT.

ScottP
12-06-2005, 13:41
K-man, I totally agree. If nessecarry, I have solo gear at home (HH, but not the ultralight, and a 2 L pot/titanium zip stove wouldn't be out of the order solo. No matter how well we get along, there is still always the possibility of injury.

PS, would a combination of a OR helium tarp (21 oz) and a trimmed down, hanging mosquito net ( 1lb not trimmed) be functional?

fiddlehead
12-06-2005, 13:45
For a southbound starting in June, you will most probably appreciate the bug net at times. That's bug season.
Have fun!

Wyoming
12-06-2005, 22:15
Is it included somewhere or did I miss it?:-?

Frosty
12-06-2005, 22:58
Is it included somewhere or did I miss it?:-?His stove is a wood burner.

http://www.zzstove.com/sierratt.html

What I didn't see was a pair of long pants (maybe I missed them in the list) I wouldn't care to hike through ME/NH without a pair, even in summer.

DLANOIE
12-11-2005, 11:25
I would agree with frosty because it can get dam chilly at 4600 feet even in july and august!

Alligator
12-11-2005, 16:01
Is that 8 oz for the hat? It better come with cup holders and a drinking tube:jump .

Phreak
12-11-2005, 21:31
I wouldn't recommend a thru-hike in the Hardrocks. They are not waterproof and soak up water like a sponge. There is a waterproof version of the Hardrock called the Mountain Mist you may want to check out. I currently hike in the Montrail Hurricane Ridge but plan on ordering a pair of the Mountain Mist when this pair of shoes are worn out.