PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with Epic Bars, and perishability

Zora
11-05-2015, 04:04
So I have an opportunity to get a case or two of Epic bars for free. &nbsp;I'm trying to eat healthy and gourmet and close to paleo on the trail next year. &nbsp;These are basically a souped-up version of pemmican. &nbsp;However, reviews of this product fall into two camps: "awesome!!!" and "dog food, blech".<br><br>The dog food camp often tends to have particular complaints about texture. &nbsp;I have problems with weird textures.<br><br>But, free is free, if I can stomach it. &nbsp;If I don't like to eat them as is I will have to find another way to use these. &nbsp;My question is, anyone ever try using these to cook with? &nbsp;Instead of a pouch of tuna or whatever is what I'm thinking, putting it in a sauce like tomato, curry, stew, etc. &nbsp;It's a quick and easy way versus dehydrating meals (though I'll also be doing that).<br><br>Another question is, what is the storage life on these? &nbsp;I want to order them now because I don't know how long the opportunity will last. &nbsp;Wondering if sticking them in the freezer as soon as they come will give them a few extra months? &nbsp;<br><br>Thoughts?<br><br>

rocketsocks
11-05-2015, 05:18
Hmm, Pemmican chili :confused: go for it! see how it turns out...worst case feed it to the dogs.

wannahike
11-05-2015, 07:17
The bars I have have an expiration date of May 2016, I bought them about a month ago and have no idea how long they were in the store. I keep them in the frig and freezing is probably a good idea but I would try one first to see if it affects the bar at all. I think they might go mushy when cooked but they would still add clean protein to your dinner. They have a lot less fat than pemmican.
I like the bison best, the beef texture was a bit weird at first bite but now it's OK and the taste is good.
I haven't tried any of the others tho the bacon bar sounds good.
And if you decide you don't like them I will pm you my address :bananamy first banana