PDA

View Full Version : Pasta al Dente

squeezebox
11-05-2015, 11:50
Is it possible to do pasta al Dente on the trail. I hate mushy pasta. I'ld just as well eat oatmeal or grits, but they are okay in and of themselves. the Olive Garden, and such "Italian chain resturants" can't cook pasta right. sp!! My son has an Excaliber dehydrator. So the bottom line question is how to do pasta al dente in a dehydrator?
Thanks!!

slbirdnerd
11-05-2015, 13:10
I've found that the pasta I cook and dehydrate isalways be a little al dente when I later freezer bag it. This is regular pasta, like Barilla. (Not stuff like Kraft Mac or Velveeta shells n cheese, that shtuff gets MUSHY!!!) The Barilla Protein Plus macaroni never freezer bags to soft and mushy, so you might try that. Also, the same brand/type of Angel Hair, NOT cooked and dehydrated, will freezer bag firm right out of the box. My fav is the angel hair, freezer bagged and drained, with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, favorite green herbs, S&P, garlic and parmesan. Yum!

squeezebox
11-05-2015, 19:37
I've found that the pasta I cook and dehydrate isalways be a little al dente when I later freezer bag it. This is regular pasta, like Barilla. (Not stuff like Kraft Mac or Velveeta shells n cheese, that shtuff gets MUSHY!!!) The Barilla Protein Plus macaroni never freezer bags to soft and mushy, so you might try that. Also, the same brand/type of Angel Hair, NOT cooked and dehydrated, will freezer bag firm right out of the box. My fav is the angel hair, freezer bagged and drained, with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, favorite green herbs, S&P, garlic and parmesan. Yum!

Don't forget the anchovies!!

Vegan Packer
11-05-2015, 23:36
I've had decent results with brown rice pasta, which is already a bit more dense than white. I always end out with a very few pieces that don't rehydrate quite right (they are still hard and almost dry), but the rest turns out perfectly.