PDA

View Full Version : Tent recommendations

VashFive
11-05-2015, 13:56
Looking for advice.

I've been tarp camping for the past 5 years. I'm looking to get back to a tent. I'm mostly a southern east coast hiker. I'd like something versatile though. I've looked at some nice two man light weight tents but honestly am overwhelmed. I'd like something around 3-4lbs

I've been considering the BG: Flycreek and MSR: Hubba Hubba.

Any guidance would be welcome.

Thanks!

saltysack
11-05-2015, 14:02
Tent recommendations are like A$$holes...everyone has one...love my 2lb 2 person LHG solong6....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VashFive
11-05-2015, 14:24
Thanks..........Saltysack......HA

saltysack
11-05-2015, 14:28
Do a search as this topic has been worn out over past few months...

chknfngrs
11-05-2015, 14:36
I haven't bought a tent in almost 12 years, way back seemingly before the Internet. I'd go to a good retailer in person to see what's what. Any half-decent shop will have the goods.

VashFive
11-05-2015, 14:40
Yeah I see I wasn't specific enough. I was really looking for feedback on BG: Flycreek and MSR: Hubba Hubba, but if someone had a different suggestion I'd welcome it.

Thanks for baring with my vague post.

Venchka
11-05-2015, 14:50
TarpTent, Lightheart Gear, zPacks to name a few cottage shops. Generally more bang for your buck and made in the USA.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

nsherry61
11-05-2015, 15:41
. . . feedback on BG: Flycreek and MSR: Hubba Hubba . . .
Both excellent tents. Both good companies. Flycreek is lighter and has single entrance and vestibule, rather than a double entrance and double vestibules. The Hubba Hubba has more vertical walls, so it is a more spacious feeling tent and less crowded for two people to move around in and/or just "live" in, especially with the addition of the extra door and vestibule.

I'd suggest that between the two, you need to decide on which is more important to you, the weight difference or the livability of the space (or maybe just red vs. yellow?). The Hubba Hubba also might be a bit more wind worthy, but neither one of them is a four season mountain tent.

Good luck.

HooKooDooKu
11-05-2015, 21:08
I dislike the way you get into the flycreek... sort of like trying to get into a sleeping bag. Consider the BA Copper Spur with its side entrance instead. I personally like the CS2 as a very roomy one man tent. The CS1 just doesn't leave you with any room for gear except in the vestibule. That might be fine for gear out west, but in the wet GSMNP where I hike, I only leave my boots out in the vestibule.

Hangfire
11-06-2015, 18:05
I never heard a complaint about an MSR tent on the trail, and I saw lots of them, both Hubba and Hubba Hubba.

Venchka
11-06-2015, 18:59
I never heard a complaint about an MSR tent on the trail, and I saw lots of them, both Hubba and Hubba Hubba.

Never used one but I have several concerns about MSR tents:
1. Body first, fussy pole system, fly last set up in nasty weather.
2. Cramped floor plans and vestibules.
3. Weight & price.
4. Purely personal reason: Buying & killing Moss and Walrus tent companies.
In my opinion, several cottage companies offer better shelter solutions for less weight and less money.

Wayne

squeezebox
11-06-2015, 20:47
Tent recommendations are like A$$holes...everyone has one...love my 2lb 2 person LHG solong6....

But some are bigger than others !!

squeezebox
11-06-2015, 20:53

I have personal experience.
Really !!

Sarcasm the elf
11-06-2015, 21:35

That puts a whole new perspective on the term 4 man tent :eek:

Venchka
11-06-2015, 21:39
Y'all get distracted easily.

Wayne

Sarcasm the elf
11-06-2015, 21:43

Wayne

It's intentional, I rarely pass up the opportunity to post a sophomoric pun.

I could once again post about my disappointment with the price and quality of the BA UL tents, but then I'd just get in the usual debate with the same people who use them and are happy with them.

Venchka
11-06-2015, 21:44
Fair enough. Carry on.

Wayne

wi11ow
11-07-2015, 00:29
I had a Hubba hubba and returned it and bought a flycreek ula2 for the weight savings.
I thought the hubba hubba was more spacious but the flycreek is so much lighter and I find it really easy to take up/down and pack away. I don't mind the single entrance and I've never had trouble with leaking/condensation. The zippers work great too.
When I'm with my husband we take the Copper Spur 3 which has tons of room plus the two entrances. Our only issue with that one is that the zippers seem to get stuck ALOT.

Rolex
11-07-2015, 04:25
After buying 7 various tents this year to compare, I boiled it down to two.
the tarp tent Stratospire with the optional poles(I use a single staff/stick) for its offset ridge line placement offering so much room. The con is not freestanding though. It is my current favorite now.

and my Copper Spur 1 with a factory footprint. It is free standing, the buckles are color coded to get the fly on in the right orientation and can be used with only the fly/footprint, or star gazing with the mesh inner or the fly only half installed to star gaze until rain drops come then flip that half over an buckle it down. It beat out the hubba but not sure exactly why. Personal preference.

Decibel
11-07-2015, 06:10
I have a Nemo Obi 1 Elite. I really like the design and lightweight but the netting runs and sags just by looking at it. Because of this I will never purchase another Nemo product again.

MuddyWaters
11-07-2015, 06:32
3-4 lbs opens a lot of possibilities.
Including two hillebergs

Decibel
11-07-2015, 07:09
I am liking the Hilleberg Enan. I have the Soulo and thats the best solo Winter tent I've ever had.

earlyriser26
11-07-2015, 09:07
If you are willing to go to 3 - 4 lbs, you can a full size 2 person tent which is perfect for one person and gear.

golfjhm
11-07-2015, 10:04
Need to consider freestanding vs non. MSR tents are great (great company with ironclad warranty) but most of their tents aren't freestanding if memory serves. Can be an issue if the ground is frozen. Never forget my first trip to Mount Mitchell in December and not being able to get tent stakes in the ground. Fortunately my tent was freestanding.

squeezebox
11-07-2015, 10:30

Wayne

What?? ....

squeezebox
11-07-2015, 10:44
the tarp tent Stratospire with the optional poles(I use a single staff/stick) for its offset ridge line placement offering so much room. The con is not freestanding though. It is my current favorite now.

and my Copper Spur 1 with a factory footprint. It is free standing, the buckles are color coded to get the fly on in the right orientation and can be used with only the fly/footprint, or star gazing with the mesh inner or the fly only half installed to star gaze until rain drops come then flip that half over an buckle it down. It beat out the hubba but not sure exactly why. Personal preference.

Thanks for the idea of buckling 2 buckles and when it does rain it's so much easier to get the rainfly done all the way on, just buckle up the other 2 buckles. Is there any issue with leaving the fly buckled but unstaked in the rain?

squeezebox
11-07-2015, 10:55
What about a 4 season tent for winter? Is 4 season really needed? Obviously it depends where you are going. I caught the issue of frozen ground and pegs.

daddytwosticks
11-07-2015, 13:50
Need to consider freestanding vs non. MSR tents are great (great company with ironclad warranty) but most of their tents aren't freestanding if memory serves. Can be an issue if the ground is frozen. Never forget my first trip to Mount Mitchell in December and not being able to get tent stakes in the ground. Fortunately my tent was freestanding.

The MSR Hubba series are freestanding. However, you must still stake out the rain fly. :)

paule
11-07-2015, 14:52

I think the copper spur is lighter,and also I live the way the rain fly buckles to the straps and not under the ends of the poles,I have been looking and those are just a couple of the things that made me go for the copper spur.

Rolex
11-07-2015, 16:35
Thanks for the idea of buckling 2 buckles and when it does rain it's so much easier to get the rainfly done all the way on, just buckle up the other 2 buckles. Is there any issue with leaving the fly buckled but unstaked in the rain?

I'll buckle the feet end and then stake the door/vestibules out if it might get wet. Then flip the head end of the fly back down and or be fancy and fold it accordion style on the top of the tent.
First drops I hear, I blast out & fasten the headend buckles and pee and back to bed I go!
Course after tripping over at least one peg or line in the dark!

squeezebox
11-07-2015, 20:17
I'll buckle the feet end and then stake the door/vestibules out if it might get wet. Then flip the head end of the fly back down and or be fancy and fold it accordion style on the top of the tent.
First drops I hear, I blast out & fasten the headend buckles and pee and back to bed I go!
Course after tripping over at least one peg or line in the dark!

I can deal with the accordion fold thing !!
Squeezebox !!

SkraM
11-07-2015, 20:59
If you're counting votes. I'm a big fan of the freestanding Hubba.

Bubblehead
11-14-2015, 08:31
I just bought a Sierra Designs Flashlight 1 tent, currently 25% off ($164). Haven't used it yet...will be taking it on my 1/2 thru hike of AT this coming year. Roomy for a 1 man tent.

tflaris
11-14-2015, 20:44
I have used a BA Copper Spur UL2. Easy to put up/take down. Used on the AT multi-day camping/hiking. Better suited for 1 person.

Hope this helps
TF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk