PDA

View Full Version : hunting season

squeezebox
11-05-2015, 20:05
Hunting season will be upon us soon. So how do I get out into the woods safely? I was thinking an orange vest for my body, another for the pack, an orange hat. and maybe some orange strips for the pants and sleeves? orange gloves ?
Your thoughts and experience please.

egilbe
11-05-2015, 20:07
Orange hat and vest is usually enough. My gf hangs an orange bandana off the back of her pack, in addition to.

wormer
11-05-2015, 20:19
I use to hunt years ago and plenty of hunter orange while hiking is a good thing.

somers515
11-05-2015, 20:24
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/hiking-basics/safety/hunting

I found this link helpful. Have fun!

RockDoc
11-05-2015, 20:39
My grandfather, a wise old hunter, once said that he wears an orange hat (but not orange jacket). He said that gives them enough of a target (and hopefully they will miss). Every year hunters are killed wearing hunter orange vests, etc.

Hunters aren't supposed to hunt on the AT, but I've seen them doing it in many areas.

saltysack
11-05-2015, 20:57
Strip of orange survey tape off back of pack and bright colored bandana on front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
11-05-2015, 21:27
Hunting season will be upon us soon. So how do I get out into the woods safely? I was thinking an orange vest for my body, another for the pack, an orange hat. and maybe some orange strips for the pants and sleeves? orange gloves ?
Your thoughts and experience please.\\

You could always check the thread you started about the same subject last year. :cool:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/107043-Hiking-seasom-protection

Sarcasm the elf
11-05-2015, 21:33
Hunters aren't supposed to hunt on the AT, but I've seen them doing it in many areas.

That is a popular misconception among hikers, however it is perfectly legal to hunt on just over half of the A.T.

From the ATC Website:

Hunting is permitted along approximately 1,250 miles of the A.T. through national forest lands, national recreation areas, and on state forests and game lands.

Hunting is prohibited along approximately 900 miles of the Trail through national parks (like Shenandoah and the Great Smoky Mountains), most state parks, and on lands acquired by the National Park Service exclusively for the Trail and still under National Park Service administration, including the outside edges by A.T. corridor boundary signs.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/hiking-basics/safety/hunting

saltysack
11-05-2015, 22:08
That is a popular misconception among hikers, however it is perfectly legal to hunt on just over half of the A.T.

From the ATC Website:

Hunting is permitted along approximately 1,250 miles of the A.T. through national forest lands, national recreation areas, and on state forests and game lands.

Hunting is prohibited along approximately 900 miles of the Trail through national parks (like Shenandoah and the Great Smoky Mountains), most state parks, and on lands acquired by the National Park Service exclusively for the Trail and still under National Park Service administration, including the outside edges by A.T. corridor boundary signs.

Thx I learned something new....

SkeeterPee
11-05-2015, 22:15
I like to wear some hunters orange and have an orange backpack cover I use. But really I don't worry much about getting shot while hiking. Hunting accidents are rare. Almost all hunter accidents involve 2 hunters or 1 hunter. A non-hunter is rarely involved in an already rare event.

Alligator
11-05-2015, 22:47
Check the hunting regs for the state or states you will be hiking in for the minimum expected requirements.

rocketsocks
11-06-2015, 00:17
Also able to hunt in Worthington state Forrest, Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area in NJ in Zone #1 and further South as well in some areas before the AT goes into NEW York State.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2015/dighnt15.pdf

Zone 1: That portion of Sussex County lyingwithin a continuous line beginning at the intersectionof Rt. 521 (River Rd.) and MashipacongRd.; then west along the northern boundary of theDelaware Water Gap National Recreation Areato the east bank of the Delaware River; then northalong the east bank of the Delaware River to theNew York State line; then east along the state line toRt. 519; then south along Rt. 519 to its intersectionwith Rt. 206 at Branchville; then northwest alongRt. 206 to the intersection with Rt. 633; then southalong Rt. 633 to its intersection with Rt. 521; thennorthwest along Rt. 521 to its intersection withRt. 206; then northwest on Rt. 521/Rt. 206 to itsintersection with Rt. 560; then west along Rt. 560to the intersection with Ridge Rd.; then north onRidge Rd. to the intersection with Rt. 646; theneast on Rt. 646 to the intersection with Rt. 645 inHainesville; then north on Rt. 645 to the intersectionwith Rts. 206 and 521; then north on Rts. 206and 521 to Montague; then north on Rt. 521 (RiverRd.) to the intersection with Mashipacong Rd., thepoint of beginning. The island of Mashipacong lyingin the Delaware River is included in this zone. HighPoint State Park (Zone 67) is excluded from Zone 1.

Sarcasm the elf
11-06-2015, 00:25
Also able to hunt in Worthington state Forrest, Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area in NJ in Zone #1 and further South as well in some areas before the AT goes into NEW York State.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2015/dighnt15.pdf

Zone 1: That portion of Sussex County lyingwithin a continuous line beginning at the intersectionof Rt. 521 (River Rd.) and MashipacongRd.; then west along the northern boundary of theDelaware Water Gap National Recreation Areato the east bank of the Delaware River; then northalong the east bank of the Delaware River to theNew York State line; then east along the state line toRt. 519; then south along Rt. 519 to its intersectionwith Rt. 206 at Branchville; then northwest alongRt. 206 to the intersection with Rt. 633; then southalong Rt. 633 to its intersection with Rt. 521; thennorthwest along Rt. 521 to its intersection withRt. 206; then northwest on Rt. 521/Rt. 206 to itsintersection with Rt. 560; then west along Rt. 560to the intersection with Ridge Rd.; then north onRidge Rd. to the intersection with Rt. 646; theneast on Rt. 646 to the intersection with Rt. 645 inHainesville; then north on Rt. 645 to the intersectionwith Rts. 206 and 521; then north on Rts. 206and 521 to Montague; then north on Rt. 521 (RiverRd.) to the intersection with Mashipacong Rd., thepoint of beginning. The island of Mashipacong lyingin the Delaware River is included in this zone. HighPoint State Park (Zone 67) is excluded from Zone 1.

Well of course you can hunt in the National Recreation Area, after all the initials are NRA! :banana:banana

Mags
11-06-2015, 02:10
Wrote this..may be useful...

http://www.pmags.com/a-properly-attired-hiker-blaze-orange-in-hunting-season

rocketsocks
11-06-2015, 02:12
Well of course you can hunt in the National Recreation Area, after all the initials are NRA! :banana:banana
Where the heck is a like button when ya need one.

4eyedbuzzard
11-06-2015, 10:13
Where the heck is a like button when ya need one.
Just save one and upload when necessary.

squeezebox
11-06-2015, 10:36
\\

You could always check the thread you started about the same subject last year. :cool:

Thanks I have trouble finding stuff like that. In general people seemed to agree that a bicycle blinky light was not at all a stupid idea. Particularly if you already own one. mine weighs 3 oz.

saltysack
11-06-2015, 10:48
Thanks I have trouble finding stuff like that. In general people seemed to agree that a bicycle blinky light was not at all a stupid idea. Particularly if you already own one. mine weighs 3 oz.

Yea blinking light works good for my dog at night....while off leash of course.....

Just Bill
11-06-2015, 11:57
\\

:dance:clap:dance

Sarcasm the elf
11-06-2015, 21:37

In all honesty I had forgotten about that thread. I came across it while I was searching through trying to find the AMC link I posted above. It was just too good of a coincidence not to repost it. :)

George
11-06-2015, 22:54
my pack for this season is large and an orange pack cover (etowah) gives good viability from all directions

squeezebox
11-06-2015, 23:42
In all honesty I had forgotten about that thread. I came across it while I was searching through trying to find the AMC link I posted above. It was just too good of a coincidence not to repost it. :)

Thank you, I had forgotten about the blinky light thing.

Sarcasm the elf
11-06-2015, 23:46
Thank you, I had forgotten about the blinky light thing.

Those blinky things are useless in the daytime and wouldn't be much use identifying yourself to hunters, however if you for any reason you roadwalk at night, they are absolutely worth buying.

squeezebox
11-07-2015, 00:03
Those blinky things are useless in the daytime and wouldn't be much use identifying yourself to hunters, however if you for any reason you roadwalk at night, they are absolutely worth buying.

I think I politely disagree about the daytime issue

Sarcasm the elf
11-07-2015, 00:12
I think I politely disagree about the daytime issue

Doesn't bother me one bit so long as I'm not the one carrying it. :D

Pastor Bryon
11-07-2015, 10:38
If you are hiking with a partner, talk to them. When I'm hunting I can usually tell the difference between human conversations and a buck chasing a deer. :)

If solo, blaze orange hat/vest are good.

squeezebox
11-07-2015, 11:57

I was surprised to see how visible they are during the day. Many cyclists use them for daytime also. Also dawn and dusk are the most important times of the day.

Snowleopard
11-07-2015, 13:42
I was surprised to see how visible they [blinkies] are during the day. Many cyclists use them for daytime also. Also dawn and dusk are the most important times of the day.
Dawn and dusk are the most dangerous times of day during hunting season. Lately, the most serious shootings in Mass have occurred at dusk. During daytime the blaze orange is pretty visible, but lately I've stopped going out at dusk. Maybe those blinky things are worth getting for dusk.

squeezebox
11-07-2015, 14:29
Geez!! who mentioned white toilet paper? Now I am paranoid!!!

And the blinkies are cheap $10-20 or so, pretty light, and the red constant light might be good for in the tent. At 1st it sounded like one of the dumbist things that ever went through my brain. But if you are walking in front of me and that thing is blaring in my face, I might shoot you. But wait I don't own a gun. Never mind !!