PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here know what a size 3 means on a super tioga?

paule
11-05-2015, 23:00
I was wondering what size 3 means on a tioga?DO they have a 1 and 2? Is a 1 the smallest?What torso size is the 3 adjustable to?Thank You,,,

Venchka
11-06-2015, 10:42
Kelty may know.
A quick internet search leads me to believe that the #3 may refer to the pack bag size since the frame has a telescoping frame adjustment system. Ask Kelty.
https://www.kelty.com/pdf/Packs/SuperTiogaINST99.pdf

Looking at the Super Tioga, it is nice to see real, functional external pockets. It's a darn shame that cost and weight cutting eliminated pockets on backpacks.

Wayne

paule
11-06-2015, 11:02
[QUOTE=Venchka;2016787]Kelty may know.
A quick internet search leads me to believe that the #3 may refer to the pack bag size since the frame has a telescoping frame adjustment system. Ask Kelty.
https://www.kelty.com/pdf/Packs/SuperTiogaINST99.pdf

Looking at the Super Tioga, it is nice to see real, functional external pockets. It's a darn shame that cost and weight cutting eliminated pockets on backpacks.

Wayne[/Q Thank You,,,,,,Yes you must be right,I did not realize the frame had that much adjustment,again thank you

Venchka
11-06-2015, 11:49
You're welcome.
We are almost neighbors. Where will you take the Super Tioga? I saw my first Kelty pack at Loch Vale in Rocky Mountain N.P. in 1964. I wish I had bought one back then.
Enjoy!

Wayne

paule
11-06-2015, 12:41
You're welcome.
We are almost neighbors. Where will you take the Super Tioga? I saw my first Kelty pack at Loch Vale in Rocky Mountain N.P. in 1964. I wish I had bought one back then.
Enjoy!

Wayne
I never used an external pack just want to give it a shot on my section hikes of the appalachian trail.I have tried an osprey exo 58 and a gregory baltoro 65,,,,just wanted to give the tioga a shot,so far I am in love with the gregory,but I am packing between 28 to 35 pounds.Didn't notice you were from texas,do you know anything about the lonestar trail or hiking at big bend?,,,,,need something to keep me in shape until march,when I start section hiking on the AT again

Casey & Gina
11-06-2015, 12:53
Does anyone know the difference between the Tioga 5500 (only available through select resellers) and the Super Tioga of old? Does the 5500 have a telescoping frame too?

Based on this picture, it looks like it might:

paule
11-06-2015, 13:08
Does anyone know the difference between the Tioga 5500 (only available through select resellers) and the Super Tioga of old? Does the 5500 have a telescoping frame too?

Based on this picture, it looks like it might:
around the 1 minute twenty second of this review he goes into that,,,,,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64mGNK1bmMA

Venchka
11-06-2015, 13:42
Big Bend is on my radar. Lonestar trail: not so much. There is a bridge out over a big river. With all the rain we've had, wading that river is a no go. I think you would do better at one of the Hill Country state parks with a few miles of trail. Not sure which one that would be, but they have good maps for the State Parks online. REI in Austin could probably point you in the right direction.
I'm planning to head west to the Rockies after I retire in a few months. Boy, that sounds good. I have a trip planned in the San Juan mountains north of Durango next September. I will be in the mountains of NC in early summer. Hoping to get on a trail around Boone.
I'm hooked on the Rockies. The AT will have to wait awhile. If ever.
Good luck!

Wayne

paule
11-06-2015, 14:14
Big Bend is on my radar. Lonestar trail: not so much. There is a bridge out over a big river. With all the rain we've had, wading that river is a no go. I think you would do better at one of the Hill Country state parks with a few miles of trail. Not sure which one that would be, but they have good maps for the State Parks online. REI in Austin could probably point you in the right direction.
I'm planning to head west to the Rockies after I retire in a few months. Boy, that sounds good. I have a trip planned in the San Juan mountains north of Durango next September. I will be in the mountains of NC in early summer. Hoping to get on a trail around Boone.
I'm hooked on the Rockies. The AT will have to wait awhile. If ever.
Good luck!

Wayne
Thanks for the info,,,,I would not venture into big bend alone.It seems a whole different animal than hiking a trail that you can just pop off and get to a road (AT).Sonds like the places you are heading are real wilderness adventures.Good luck,hope to see you on the trail.