PDA

View Full Version : backpack in vestibule

Bubblehead
11-06-2015, 10:32
Have a question.....is it OK to leave your backpack covered in your tent vestibule along with your trail runners, or should you have the backpack with you in the tent? I have read a few threads that say you should put your backpack inside of the tent with you...I have a Sierra Designs Flashlight 1 tent....limited space inside. I would rather leave my backpack outside of the tent in the vestibule area. Back in the early 2000's, I did a lot of backpacking in the Olympics, and the Wonderland Trail at Mt. Rainer and didn't have any problems with my backpack being in the vestibule. I'll be hiking the AT this coming year. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!;)

Just Tom
11-06-2015, 10:36
If you have a vestibule then why not. I prefer my bag outside the tent rather than in. Your bag is often wet, dirty, and/or contaminated with food smells. Three reasons to not want to have it in your tent. Heck, I typically hang the thing off a tree trunk...

chknfngrs
11-06-2015, 11:41
No reason to put pack inside tent with you.

Just Bill
11-06-2015, 12:01
Not having a floor in the vestibule and getting your pack wet is one reason.
If you don't have a scrap of groundcloth (tyvek, etc) to set your pack on you can set it on your shoes.

At popular sites, mice and other critters might be more likely to get into your pack... but with your own tent you're likely to be further from shelters.

Other than those somewhat flimsy arguements- no reason not to use the vestibule really.

dudeijuststarted
11-06-2015, 12:15
Vestibule is fine. Another option is throw a pack cover on it and hang it off a tree trunk. A hiker named "Wet Dog" showed me a good knot for doing that but I can't remember which knot it is, anyone know? Does anyone know which shelter that guy is living in these days?

Another good tip is to open the zippers on any pack pockets while you sleep...the mice won't have to chew through the fabric looking for whatever crumbs are laying around in there...

squeezebox
11-06-2015, 12:20
I was thinking that your sit on piece of tyvek would double to sit your pack on, but if you are sitting you probably don't have your pack on. Your pack cover would work, or another 1/2 oz piece of Tyvek. I cut my ground cloth to fit the vestibule also. Having 2 vestibules is a luxury, but very nice.

PAFranklin
11-06-2015, 13:21
Vestibule is fine. Another option is throw a pack cover on it and hang it off a tree trunk. A hiker named "Wet Dog" showed me a good knot for doing that but I can't remember which knot it is, anyone know? Does anyone know which shelter that guy is living in these days?

Another good tip is to open the zippers on any pack pockets while you sleep...the mice won't have to chew through the fabric looking for whatever crumbs are laying around in there...

Marlin spike hitch would work well if you have a handle look on the pack.

bigcranky
11-06-2015, 13:27
Vestibule. I put the pack cover over it, but on the suspension side so it doesn't get soaked with dew.

RangerZ
11-06-2015, 13:30
I'm a "everything in the tent guy". My Osprey Atmos65 fits nicely near the head end of my BA CS1. I usually want something out of it after I'm in the tent anyway.

saltysack
11-06-2015, 13:32
Leave pack open for sure if it's outside!!! While sum muting Whitney I dropped my pack and opened up for good reason! A few peoples packs got holes chewed in while sum miring...not left open..damn Marmots!! See paw prints on mine...
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/06/784aa27d109cee67072b64ade64a9200.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
11-06-2015, 13:33
Damn auto correct!! Summiting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Berserker
11-06-2015, 13:49
I think it's purely personal preference. My good hiking buddy has put his under his vestibule for years, and I have always put mine in my tent. Haven't noticed a glaring downside to either option. The reason I put mine in my tent with me (along with everything else including my shoes) is to keep critters out/off of it.

Zach ADK
11-06-2015, 14:00
I can't bring mine into the tent as I am just over 7 feet tall and my tent is a Eureka Spitfire. If I did bring it in when I lay down either it would have to be on top of me or I would have to be in top of it. I have found that it works quite well to stand it just outside the door under the rain fly. There is a pole just beside the door that supports the pack so it doesn't put pressure on the tent fabric and because it is an external frame pack the end of the frame is the only part that touches the ground. I am not sure if the area under the fly is considered a vestibule on the Spitfire since it is quite narrow, but it is very handy to have it there anyhow.

Ktaadn
11-06-2015, 15:27
I put my pack in my tent and under my feet. This provides extra insulation in the winter as I am generally longer than my sleeping pad.

Gambit McCrae
11-06-2015, 15:57
I put my pack under my pad on the head end. I like it alot there :)

Feral Bill
11-06-2015, 16:41
Many people sleep under tarps, with hammocks or on the ground. No tent, no problem.

Hangfire
11-06-2015, 17:55
I kept mine in the vestibule, the solong 6 has a massive one. One thing about keeping your pack outside, make sure and leave all pockets and zippers open. If rodents want to go exploring for a cliff bar wrapper or anything else that may have fallen in your bag give them a way in so they don't chew through your bag they same way they chew through tents when you keep food in them.

Bubblehead
11-06-2015, 21:46
When you cut your ground cloth from Tyvek, do you put grommet holes in it so you can tie it off to the tent stakes? I'm thinking of making my own ground cloth since it seems to be cheaper than buying the specific one for the tent.

Just Tom
11-06-2015, 23:20
I've done grommets with shock cord and just a hole punch with shock cord. Both worked fine, skipping the grommets is lighter. Tyvek can rip where the holes are but a ground cloth is not under a lot of stress.

wi11ow
11-07-2015, 00:20
I attach it to a tree using the waist belt to air it out and then bring it into the tent at night. I used to leave it out all night but have been woken up too many nights to the sound of critters chewing/scratching at it...even with the pockets empty and open.

Mockernut
11-07-2015, 11:20
I keep a black plastic garbage bag in one of my water bottle pockets. Takes up no space/weight. I lay it on the ground anytime my pack hits the ground including when I lay it in my vestibule (which is my preferred pack location at night). Helps to keep the pack clean and dry and can serve other uses, like a dry place to sit on wet logs, ground, etc. No penalty for weight and endless uses.

I do have one other suggestion- I keep my wallet, phone, and car keys in a dry bag. That bag goes into the tent with me at night regardless of where the pack is. That way, if something/someone drags the pack off, I still have a way home. Paranoid perhaps but I sleep better.

Bubblehead
11-07-2015, 11:33
Everyone, thank you for all of your suggestions....they have been very helpful!

MuddyWaters
11-07-2015, 11:49
My pack is hanging from my pole under my tarp, basically empty, or inside inner with me. If you can fit it in it doesnt make much sense to let rodents attack it.

I have brought mouse into tent before when it was already into pack while i was setting tent up.