PDA

View Full Version : Rain Kilt

mtntopper
11-06-2015, 22:36
Where can I get a good rain Kilt?

squeezebox
11-06-2015, 23:29
Sorry I have an issue with the term kilt. Pleats, Scottish wool, lay over front etc.
But Light Heart has the best rain wrap skirt. IMHO Make sure you buy it long enough for a good front overlay, not by your waist size

Dr. Professor
11-06-2015, 23:31
Where can I get a good rain Kilt?
Zpacks.com

Dr. Professor
11-06-2015, 23:33
Cuben, 1.8 ounces, works great.

squeezebox
11-06-2015, 23:33
Oh ! yea and shave your legs please.

Vegan Packer
11-07-2015, 00:08
I am happy with my 2.7 ounce long version of the ULA (http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/rain-kilt.htm). $30.

trailhermit
11-07-2015, 01:31
Sorry I have an issue with the term kilt. Pleats, Scottish wool, lay over front etc.
But Light Heart has the best rain wrap skirt. IMHO Make sure you buy it long enough for a good front overlay, not by your waist size

I think the Light Heart rainwrap is great, just pay attention to the measurements!

MuddyWaters
11-07-2015, 07:07
Zpacks
Makes a good mini groundsheet for neoair protection or sitting on damp ground too

Dr. Professor
11-07-2015, 08:29
Zpacks
Makes a good mini groundsheet for neoair protection or sitting on damp ground too
Funny you should mention this -- my hammock got wet the other day because I did something dumb. Rather than compromise my down, I went to ground in a shelter for a night. It was an unpleasant night no doubt, but as far as the ground sheet is concerned, the kilt did surprisingly well. A pad obviously would have been better, but you're right in that in a pinch the kilt can be used in a number of ways. Absent a shelter, I would have put the kilt under me in the hammock as that might have helped to protect the down.

saltysack
11-07-2015, 11:20
I am happy with my 2.7 ounce long version of the ULA (http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/rain-kilt.htm). $30.

+1...like all ULA products!!! Works good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squeezebox
11-07-2015, 11:51
I think the Light Heart rainwrap is great, just pay attention to the measurements!

How much would you add to the waist measurement for proper front overlap? I'm thinking at least 12" but not more than 18". A rectangle has the option of ground cloth use. But an A line does not. The front overlap is good because you don't step in it with muddy shoes. MHO

MuddyWaters
11-07-2015, 12:00
All you really need is a garbage bag wrapped around waist and tucked in . one triple crowner (at least) I read about used their polycro groundsheet this way.

trailhermit
11-07-2015, 12:32
Just 6 to 10 inches at the waist maybe for the overlap. Not sure how the measurements for the wrap figured it in. But the rainwrap was quite fitted in the waist but loose and easy to walk in. It was just wishful thinking on my park thonking that they would run a bit big. The length is great. I went with the long, my daughter would need the short (she's only 5').

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

August W.
11-07-2015, 13:31
I am a big fan of the zpacks rain kilt. I usually get too hot wearing rain pants. I really appreciate the vertical zipper that allows for increased airflow and wider strides. The raincoat overlaps the kilt that overlaps the gaiters that overlap the boots. It's a very versatile, comfortable combination.

slbirdnerd
11-09-2015, 13:16
+1 for Zpacks cuben rain kilt. Multiple uses. Worth every penny.

saltysack
11-09-2015, 14:01
I do wish the ula rain kilt had a zipper...the Velcro closures dont work that great in windy weather...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk