PDA

View Full Version : Thru hike starting January 2016 NOBO --need advice and possibly a partner!

wintersquirrel
11-06-2015, 22:47
Hey guys,
So I decided to do a winter hike because January to May is my last open slot for the foreseeable future and I'm taking it because I've always wanted to do the AT, and what better time than when you're young? I wanted to have one big adventure before I lose myself to the books in grad school. Unfortunately I'm still playing it by ear because I need to do more research to see if I can even afford it at all.
It's my first backpacking trip longer than 5 nights and my first ever winter backpacking trip. I've done a lot of research but I could really use some advice. Also, if anyone else is leaving in January, would you want to team up? I'm pretty flexible so I can leave between January 2nd and the end of the month. I'd like do 10-12 mpd for the first month or so and get hopefully up to 18.
The only supplies I have are boots, gaiters, 2 nalgenes with neoprene slips, and a pack. I have a ton of camping/backpacking gear but none of it is ultralight or winter ready. I've picked out a tent, bag, and a Jetboil stove but haven't purchased anything. I also will carry a SPOT GPS so my family and boyfriend won't freak out for 5 months.
Any and all tips are appreciated! I could really use advice on winter gear and basic survival in the winter.

Slo-go'en
11-07-2015, 01:47
Get a small self supporting tent. Pounding tent stakes into frozen ground isn't easy and with a self supporting you won't have to deal with that. Get the warmest sleeping bag you can afford. Get a really, really, really good rain suit. The long range forecast is for a very wet winter in the Southern Appalachians. Good chance that will follow you up the coast too.

Maybe watch this guy's video on winter clothing: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/115095-Cold-weather-Gear-for-a-Late-Feb-Early-March-Start (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/115095-Cold-weather-Gear-for-a-Late-Feb-Early-March-Start)

MuddyWaters
11-07-2015, 07:23
Based on your experience level, you have slim chance of finishing in your time frame from a Jan. start. You may be essentially planning only a winter section hike of indeterminate length IMO, not a thru hike.

Most barely manage 5 mo in spring/summer. Winter pace is slow. People burn thru $$$ driven into town by cold fronts. In the end, they may barely outpace those who start in march, if they are still on trail at all.

There trail journals out there by january starters, and statistics. I do wish you well if you give it a go, it will be an adventure.

750ml
11-07-2015, 09:09
Keep in mind the cold weather limitations of canister stoves. They aren't much count below 14 degrees. Look into inverted canister stoves, white gas or alcohol in low temps. Or wood if you can find it dry. Fire starting materials might serve you well.

Take enough fuel to heat a hot water bottle on cold nights. They store and release a tremendous amount of btu's.

There are so many good gear choices now that outfitting shouldn't be the issue. Experience camping in the cold will be the greatest asset.

bigcranky
11-07-2015, 09:42
Since you're in North Carolina, you have some opportunity to get out and test your winter gear before you start. Perhaps a 4 day hike over Thanksgiving or a week at Christmas? Go when the weather forecast is bad :) but don't go too far from the car. You'll need to re-learn how to do almost everything, especially in cold wet weather. Given your time frame you'll be cold and wet the whole way, getting to New England in early April when it will still be pretty seriously winter, and trying to hike Maine in May, when the streams are very high and the mud sucks.

You will need to get more info about gear. The Jetboil might possibly work okay in the South in January, but not during a cold snap and not in winter further north. Also, regarding finances, I can't know what you will need, but I would want a very large nest egg in the bank before attempting this (and I already have all my winter gear, which can get expensive).

Good luck. I totally get the idea of pulling off a big trip before devoting your life to grad school.

wintersquirrel
11-07-2015, 14:38
Thank you everyone for responding! After making a gear list and adding up even the minimum costs, plus noting my experience, I've decided to not do a thru hike this winter. However, I think it'd still be a great opportunity to get out and get some good experience with winter backpacking, maybe a week long trip to start with.

Slo-go'en
11-07-2015, 15:00
Thank you everyone for responding! After making a gear list and adding up even the minimum costs, plus noting my experience, I've decided to not do a thru hike this winter. However, I think it'd still be a great opportunity to get out and get some good experience with winter backpacking, maybe a week long trip to start with.

Good plan. I was hoping you were smart enough to realize that. Camping out in the cold can be fun for a few days or a week, after that, not so much.

bigcranky
11-07-2015, 15:22
I like winter hiking, though my limit is a week or so. Then the lure of a warm house gets pretty strong. :)

EVC
11-09-2015, 23:18
I may do some hiking out of springer over thanksgiving vacation if you're interested. I'm considering it to gain valuable experience with cold weather and more experience with rain. I think there may be plenty of both unfortunately. There's no substitute for real world testing of your gear, your body, AND your mind when it comes to endeavors such as these.

I have enough gear to outfit a platoon so I'd be more than happy to loan you stuff you may be missing.

I'm looking to maintain an 11-13 mpd pace.

Let me know if you're interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk