PDA

View Full Version : On the trail & need a ride ASAP! Overmountain shelter

Heather1027
11-07-2015, 12:42
Our ride isnt showing up. We need a ride from the service gate behind Overmountain Shelter (roaring something road) to Mountain Harbour B&B. (Their shuttle is full)

Anyone know of a shuttle??? We are leaving the shelter to head there now.

Slo-go'en
11-07-2015, 14:21
I sure hope you didn't walk down the gravel road by the shelter. I did that once to avoid bad weather on the balds and found out it went in the totally wrong direction and ended up about 30 miles from Mountain Harbor! It took me all day to hitch back to the B+B. It was kind of an interesting adventure though.

squeezebox
11-07-2015, 15:49
Always leave your self room to hunker down safely.

Venchka
11-07-2015, 16:10
When everything can go wrong, everything will go terribly wrong.
Good luck.
I'm curious. Why didn't you just walk back to Mountain Harbor? Or stay in the very secure shelter until a shuttle could get to you?
All the best to you.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Heather1027
11-07-2015, 17:51
We took the service road by Overmountain Shelter and had to hunker down for an hour under emergency blankets and our rain fly. We were almost to the main road when our ride showed up thankfully.

I fractured my foot and my friend suffered a sprained ankle which is why we had to cut our hike short. We were coming down a rocky decline which was also very muddy. A couple was a good distance behind us when their dog took off to chase something in front of us. Well, the dog went right through my legs and down I went! Pulled my friend down with me. I love dogs and all (I have 4 myself), but I like leashed dogs even more! Oh well. Try again in the spring!

Slo-go'en
11-07-2015, 18:17
Well, that's a bummer. I hope you got the name and number of the dog's owner so you can send them the bill for injuries and other expenses due to this. Glad you made it out okay.

Venchka
11-07-2015, 19:12
Shoot the owner. After you collect for damages.
You can't fix stupid. You can make Stupid pay.
Get well soon!

Wayne

squeezebox
11-07-2015, 19:26
Geez!! another stupid dog/owner story. Haven't we gone through this enough to prove your misbehaved self and mutt does not belong on the trail.
I love my son's dog but she is not trail worthy. Enough already. Makes me want to open another gun thread.

The Cleaner
11-07-2015, 20:03
More hikers on the trail =more hikers who don't keep their dogs on a leash.In TN you can be given a citation by the TWRA for allowing non hunting dogs to run loose.:eek:

Heather1027
11-07-2015, 20:42
Thanks everyone for the well wishes! So bummed we couldnt finish it. On the way home back to Raleigh now. Missing the trail already....it was amazing!

Venchka
11-07-2015, 21:58
Heather,
Were Y'all using hiking/trekking sticks for stability?
If not, consider them when you return to the trail.

Wayne

Heather1027
11-08-2015, 10:51
Yep! Sure am! Just wasnt expecting a dog, of all things, to fly past, lol.

BillyGr
11-08-2015, 17:18
Not to be encouraging loose running dogs, but I'm still trying to figure out how that happened. After all, hikers are generally fairly good at walking and balance, it's not like this was an elderly person on the street with a walker or something similar.

Slo-go'en
11-08-2015, 20:13
I can easily see how that can happen on a wet, muddy and rocky trail if a big dog comes at you from behind without warning and comes right through your legs like the OP explained.

I had a day hikers big dog charge past me on the trail and nearly bowed me over. When I told the owners that dog needs to be on a leash, I got dirty FU looks.

Sarcasm the elf
11-08-2015, 22:50
Not to be encouraging loose running dogs, but I'm still trying to figure out how that happened. After all, hikers are generally fairly good at walking and balance, it's not like this was an elderly person on the street with a walker or something similar.

As someone who hikes responsibly hikes with a dog, other people's out of control dogs are one of my greatest concerns. I've been filpped head over heels at dog parks before and it would be even more possible if I were exhausted out on trail and my reaction time was slowed.

Dogs really do respect a pair of hiking poles, I'm not talking about hurting them, but slamming the pole tips down in front of an unruly animal almost always stops them in their tracks. Slamming the tips in ground so that the poles are crisscrossed in an X in front of me stopped every bounding dog I've encountered.

Sarcasm the elf
11-08-2015, 22:52
I had a day hikers big dog charge past me on the trail and nearly bowed me over. When I told the owners that dog needs to be on a leash, I got dirty FU looks.

Thank you for saying it to their faces, they may yave given you a dirty look but there's a good chance that what you said stuck in the back of their minds.