PDA

View Full Version : base layer alternative to wool?

Airgirl
11-07-2015, 21:25
I am allergic to wool. Has anyone found any other baselayer tops in different materials that are just as odor resistant for week long backpacking trips?

Thanks

egilbe
11-07-2015, 21:41
I am allergic to wool. Has anyone found any other baselayer tops in different materials that are just as odor resistant for week long backpacking trips?

Thanks

Closest thing maybe Capiline with their polygeine or whatever it is they put on it. Most synthetics really reek after a few days of sweat. Silk, maybe?

Venchka
11-07-2015, 21:52
Try silk. I have a silk layer under a merino wool layer. However, I don't recall wearing the combination for a week and don't know what I smelled like.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

saltysack
11-07-2015, 22:32
I've had several sets of capilene.......mainly worn at camp/sleep but have used several days/nights in a row during winter treks without taking off.....newer grid style seems better for warmth and smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burger
11-07-2015, 23:14
I've worn nylon button-down shirts for my last 2 thru-hikes. They get a little smelly but are far, far better than polyester. Many times, I've come straight off the trail and walked into a restaurant (ok, usually a fast food joint) wearing my dirty nylon shirt. I wouldn't think of doing that in polyester. Nylon dries faster than wool, too.

You can get polyester shirts treated with silver nanoparticles, but those things scare the crap out of me (very little safety testing has been done, and what I've seen is not reassuring). Anyway, the silver washes out within 10 or 20 washings, and it ends up polluting your local river or ocean.