PDA

View Full Version : What do you sleep in?

squeezebox
11-08-2015, 12:20
So what do you wear when sleeping while camping. I don't like the way my silk longies feel, too slimy/slick. But they weigh 1/2 of wool. I know cotton is rotten but comfy. I do want to keep my quilt/ bag clean. A quick wash up is a big help.
So what works for you?

egilbe
11-08-2015, 12:40
Just clean baselayers, mostly. Can be either wool or synthetic. I haven't really developed a preference. I'll sleep in synthetic baselayers before I'll wear them hiking. Prefer to wear wool baselayers while hiking since they don't stink.

redseal
11-08-2015, 12:45
Cotton boxers and cotton shirt. They are heavier than other options, but I feel more human in them (i.e. less sticky).

squeezebox
11-08-2015, 13:01
Oh yea !! and what about headwear when sleeping? I imagine dirty hair can stain a sleeping bag hood. I plan on stealing my ex's silk balaclava. But is a wool balaclava enough for winter sleeping? Or do I need to get a puffy hood? Probably synthetic. I have 2 quilts, a blow up pillow, and am a dedicated side sleeper. I sleep cold. Winter and summer opinions appreciated.
Thanks!!

egilbe
11-08-2015, 15:03
If its that cold, I usually sleep with a wool balaclava or sleep in my puffy with the hood up, plus the balaclava, if I'm using the quilt. I have a Hoodlum from EE, but haven't had an opportunity to use it, yet.

jdc5294
11-08-2015, 15:32
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/115054-how-to-dress-in-a-sleepingbag

pjsong
11-11-2015, 11:46
Base layers for sleeping, additional layers according to temp.

shelb
11-12-2015, 00:58
This is the "pamper me" time... cotton T and cotton leggings and cotton undies!

MuddyWaters
11-12-2015, 01:25
So what do you wear when sleeping while camping. I don't like the way my silk longies feel, too slimy/slick. But they weigh 1/2 of wool. I know cotton is rotten but comfy. I do want to keep my quilt/ bag clean. A quick wash up is a big help.
So what works for you?

I dont camp, I hike.
I sleep in the same clothes I hiked in.
Sometimes I take something off if its hot or wet
But most of the time, just wear clothing till it dries, and go to bed.
Dressing and undressing is just a waste of time on the trail IMO.

squeezebox
11-12-2015, 03:30
I dont camp, I hike.

I have a lot of respect for the comments I have read of yours from before. But please explain how you hike 24/7 without ever stopping to pee, eat, poop, particularly sleep, and other basic needs???

Wooobie
11-12-2015, 06:22
i have a pair of hike clothes then a cotton top and bottom for night. something about cotton on your skin after being in synthetic **** all day is just lovely.

MuddyWaters
11-12-2015, 07:51
I have a lot of respect for the comments I have read of yours from before. But please explain how you hike 24/7 without ever stopping to pee, eat, poop, particularly sleep, and other basic needs???

???
The phrase "while camping" has a certain connotation to it.

Camping denotes more time spent in camp, less on trail
Hiking denotes more time spent on trail, and less in camp

Campers hike, and hikers camp. The difference is in the distribution of time spent doing each.:)

While i camp for the night, or make camp, am camped, was camped, was in camp, etc, I never say i " am camping ", thats a different activity. I am only eating and sleeping somewhere, not spending any significant time there.

" I went camping last weekend"
" I went hiking last weekend"

Two different statements.

Perhaps the term for what some hikers do might best be described as " bivouac" for the night. Bivouac denotes the temporary nature of the stop.

Then again, those hikers that hike 5 mpd, stop early and hang out in camp, bring folding chair, books, cook elaborate meals, extra changes of clothes, and I would tend to say might be getting closer to camping than hiking. Scouts often fall into this category.

garlic08
11-12-2015, 10:30
Someone once asked my friend if he slept in his underwear while camping. He looked puzzled, paused, and answered, "Underwear?"

squeezebox
11-12-2015, 12:20
???
The phrase "while camping" has a certain connotation to it.

Camping denotes more time spent in camp, less on trail
Hiking denotes more time spent on trail, and less in camp

Campers hike, and hikers camp. The difference is in the distribution of time spent doing each.:)

While i camp for the night, or make camp, am camped, was camped, was in camp, etc, I never say i " am camping ", thats a different activity. I am only eating and sleeping somewhere, not spending any significant time there.

" I went camping last weekend"
" I went hiking last weekend"

Two different statements.

Perhaps the term for what some hikers do might best be described as " bivouac" for the night. Bivouac denotes the temporary nature of the stop.

Then again, those hikers that hike 5 mpd, stop early and hang out in camp, bring folding chair, books, cook elaborate meals, extra changes of clothes, and I would tend to say might be getting closer to camping than hiking. Scouts often fall into this category.

Fair enough. I apoligize for being over the top pissy.

Moosling
11-12-2015, 12:52
I bring 2 shirts hiking, both the same synthetic under armour style, 1 to hike in and 1 to sleep in, depending on temps outside I may wear some wool socks (I prefer no socks) and normally some cotton long johns.

pauly_j
11-12-2015, 13:23
When you've been sweating all day into a baselayer, it's nice to have a wash and get into some cleaner, maybe looser-fitting clothes.

If you're not going to have a bit of a wash then there's not much point in changing.

squeezebox
11-12-2015, 14:42
Yea I was wondering about the cotton longies for camp and sleep. And a bit looser. A pair of running shorts or such so I don't look like a perv hanging out in camp.

1azarus
11-12-2015, 16:17
I dont camp, I hike.

i couldn't agree with you more. IMO.

saltysack
11-12-2015, 16:22
I dont camp, I hike.

Most of the time especially during winter it's dark by the time I'm setting up my shelter, too damn cold to undress...just add layers eat and go to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerChef
11-12-2015, 21:36
Flannel in the summer (if anything) and fleece/merino in the winter. I used to use a bag and had a silk liner in it that worked well. Now I use a quilt and don't worry about it.

poolskaterx
11-18-2015, 00:56
My last two cold temp hikes have been amazing since I switched from my synthetic silky base layers to my smartwool (merino) I would sometimes wake up all clammy in the synthetic making me super chilled even though my bag was warm. Switched to the wool and it's like an auto thermostat; my temp stays exactly where I want it and I never feel sweaty. I do wear a baclava-ish/headsock thingy that I got for wearing helmets; it is nice and thin for warm weather andif it is cold I can put my beanie and then pull it over my head keeping the beanie from falling off when I sleep. The headsock thing was like 5 bucks at the go-cart track.

capehiker
11-18-2015, 01:19
In the summer, I have a pair of UL silkies (7oz for top and bottom combo) that feel great against the skin and they don't overheat me. In the spring and fall, I have a Northface base layer set I've had for years.

Lyle
11-18-2015, 12:22
Depends on time of year and type of companions.

Preferred: Strip down and use a silk liner to keep bag from getting gross.

If LOTS of companions, as in crowed shelter or women or children near-by: keep the hiking shorts on and use the silk liner.

In very cold: Usually silk long-johns and use the silk liner. If I miss judged, and have too light of sleeping bag, I will add my insulating layers as needed.

My whole-hearted belief is that a simple base layer and your sleeping bag should be entirely adequate to keep you warm during the night for any temps you reasonably expect to encounter. Extra layers of insulation are your insurance against the unexpected and unseasonable weather event. If you plan to use all your layers for the normal temps, what do you do when the extremes are thrown at you?

squeezebox
11-18-2015, 13:37
Is it okay to announce your intention to drop your pants and change so people can not watch at their decision, or is around kids, don't even think about it?

rocketsocks
11-18-2015, 13:46
Is it okay to announce your intention to drop your pants and change so people can not watch at their decision, or is around kids, don't even think about it?that's what behind the shelter is for.

squeezebox
11-18-2015, 13:56
I'll send you pictures of what I sleep in , if you send me pictures.
Hikier Perv here !!!

squeezebox
11-18-2015, 13:58
that's what behind the shelter is for.

But what if it's raining like heck? Same answer?

Lyle
11-18-2015, 14:14
I've been in shelters where folks just announced "I'm changing, so if you don't want to see, don't look. If you do want to see, doesn't bother me a bit". Both male and female hikers have used this method, usually long distance hikers. The polite thing is to have everything ready so the change can be accomplished quickly, and announce when you are done and it's safe for others to turn back around.

As stated, if kids are around, best to go out back, and let everyone know what you are doing in that case too.

Sandy of PA
11-18-2015, 21:57
As a lady hiking with guys, I do my changing in the privy or under my quilt if staying in a shelter. Love the handicap privies in the Smokys.

kayak karl
11-18-2015, 22:13
change in you bag.

back to original question i sleep in briefs and maybe a tee. the colder it gets the less i wear in hammock. when down in single digits it takes too long to warm the clothes. just wasted generated heat.

MuddyWaters
11-19-2015, 00:31
Ive just turned around to see people changing without warning. Sometimes thats not pleasant.

shelb
11-19-2015, 00:59
As a lady hiking with guys, I do my changing in the privy or under my quilt if staying in a shelter. Love the handicap privies in the Smokys.

Ditto... but in my case, under my sleeping bag.

squeezebox
11-19-2015, 01:06
Ive just turned around to see people changing without warning. Sometimes thats not pleasant.

Therefore announce your intent. not a big deal if you're down to your underwear,but ask if it's okay if you're gonna get naked. Personally I don't care but some people do.

MuddyWaters
11-19-2015, 07:25
Therefore announce your intent. not a big deal if you're down to yourunderwear,but ask if it's okay if you're gonna get naked. Personally I don't care but some people do.

I dont really care, but it can be startling. Wrinkled old men are the worst imo, but im sure wrinkled old women would be as well.

squeezebox
11-19-2015, 12:18
I was an RN for a while. patients I've had? old men, old women. 800 pounders( used a car garage engine lift to get her out of bed), big pressure sores with bugs. And when you are wondering about this include the smell. Then multiply it a few times.

Gambit McCrae
11-19-2015, 12:29
So what works for you?

I try my best if ive had a dirty day on the trail to wash up, summer or winter. go down to the stream and wash off. For sleeping I replace my compression exxficio shorts with a boxer style for lots of ventilation. No shirt or leggings, winter or summer

Dogwood
11-19-2015, 15:08
I dont camp, I hike.

This for me too. I don't often have an entire separate dedicated set of sleeping clothing/accessories. I almost always have two sets of hiking apparel and are always desiring a clean set by washing, drying, airing out, etc one set. In winter on multi day trips I might edge towards using dedicated apparel pieces in camp.

Lnj
11-19-2015, 15:16
change in you bag.

back to original question i sleep in briefs and maybe a tee. the colder it gets the less i wear in hammock. when down in single digits it takes too long to warm the clothes. just wasted generated heat.

Another reason to use the tent instead of the shelter. You have a changing room and can sleep in whatever you want to without offending or embarrassing anyone. You can even perform a bath of sorts in there. Awesome. Privacy in a public place is awesome.

Harrison Bergeron
11-19-2015, 20:47
A bag liner and/or camp clothes, but never anything I was hiking is, especially underwear. Camp clothes are some combination of jogging shorts, capilene long pants, and long-sleeve polyester tee. I also carry a dedicated pair of short liner socks just for sleeping in if its cold enough. And I always wear my fleece hat if it's even a little nippy.

Privacy for changing on the trail? Yet another indignity women hikers have to deal with. But considering all the trees, it seems like the least of them. Personally, I think I lost my fear of someone seeing my pee-pee about half a century ago, probably junior high school gym.

English Stu
11-20-2015, 08:19
Silk long johns and silk tee shirt. I have heard it said- If you don't want to see my butt turn around.

Five Tango
11-20-2015, 08:43
Ok,so I thot I would try sleeping in just a light base layer last time.It was just fine until I got that obligatory "nature call" in the middle of the night that made me shiver.So putting on everything I had and getting back under the topquilt worked.Different people have different metabolisms etc.Lighter may be better but so far I can't make it work for me.............

Tipi Walter
11-20-2015, 09:57
???

I feel good about myself when I do a 5 mile day with a 90 lb pack load. 5 miles gets me down the trail enough to offer new scenery and sometimes there's a 3,000 foot gain in elevation during that 5 miles which takes all day anyway. If I do 5 mile days for a 20 day trip, well, that's a wonderful exploration (and workout) of 100 miles . . . with all the food and fuel and books etc I need for those 20 days.

I dont camp, I hike.

I believe backpackers do both---both camp and hike. Every backpacker hikes and camps, otherwise how would he leave the car at the trailhead and get to his first night's camp and then on Day 2 get to his second camp and then return to his car? Putting a mileage criteria onto it has a sort of labeling effect: Big mile days are better than small mile days, Ergo backpackers who do big mile days are purportedly having a more worthwhile experience and "achieve more" than short mile-day backpackers. Nope, wrong.

Andrew Skurka wrote something similar in one of his blogs---

SKURKA LINK
Go here for the link to his article "What Inspires You to Backpack? The Hiking, the Camping, or Both?"

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/what-inspires-you-to-backpack/

He brings up the old UL identity politics mantra of hiking vs camping:

"A backpacking trip is most usefully analyzed by the ratio of time and focus dedicated to hiking versus camping."

My comment?? No Andrew, a backpacking trip is most usefully analyzed by how much time you spend outdoors and how many bag nights per trip (while also carrying everything on your back to walkable camps versus car camping). Of course all backpackers like to hike and do hike.

His focus is definitely hiking inspired (versus camping-inspired):

"I enjoy passing through extensive landscapes in relatively short periods of time . . ."

"I pack light so that I can hike faster . . .

"I travel efficiently so that I can hike more, to make 'constant forward progress."

MAXIMIZING DISTANCE QUOTE
"The goal is to maximize distance---not for the superficial purpose of just covering miles, but rather for the rich rewards of experiencing landscapes (at a blazing fast 3mph I should add)".

My Opinion: Beware the keywords here: "Rich rewards", "experiencing landscapes", "blazing fast". A guy could move 2 miles a day and experience as much or more landscape than Skurka. There is no way to define the rich rewards coming from experiencing landscapes except when used as keywords to justify fast hiking (blazing fast he should add) and very light gear. A person could get as rich or richer rewards from experiencing a single landscape and do so while moving slowly with heavy gear.

Anyway, sorry for the drift, but MuddyWaters's "I don't camp, I hike" got me flamed.

austex
11-20-2015, 10:49
A clean light wool base layer. At the very least clean face,arms and legs. I hate sticky legs. 95% of my doings are in the Sierra above 10k so it's usually low hummadidity so it facilitates non-stickiness. Also gets cold fast when the sun goes down so a base layer also keeps the bag cleaner.