PDA

View Full Version : winter / summer sleeping pads

squeezebox
11-08-2015, 19:45
So I'm 5' 8" but I bought the Xtherm long because I wanted the wider width. Maybe I should have just sucked it up and went with 20" but sleeping comfort is important to me. I was reading the thread about winter pads, the xtherm is R 5.7 pretty heafty. but also 20 oz. I also looked recently at the xlite short, 20x47, 8 oz. a lot lighter. Sleeping comfort is a big deal with me, so my legs on the ground at 40+* does not appeal to me, at this moment. So questions.
x Is the xtherm good enough by itself close to 0*?
x Do I get the xlite short because it's so much lighter, yea, I can make it work for summer. Probably??
x Any reason to put the 2 together for near 0* ? Yes I sleep cold.
Your opinions and experience appreciated.

egilbe
11-08-2015, 20:23
I use two pads for winter. No reason not to.

Sandy of PA
11-08-2015, 21:10
You could do a home haircut on the X-Therm Large to make it a bit lighter, I am 5 ft. 3 in. and cut more than a foot off mine. Google for video instructions. I have used it in summer also and tested it down to 25 degrees. For winter I would add a closed cell foam, Walmart has a wider one with bumps on one side for cheap if the X-Therm is not enough.

saltysack
11-08-2015, 22:00
I have been using xlite for a few years now. I just recently got an xtherm in large but in the past used xlite down to near 10* and was a little cold in a 15* bag. I also tried my zlite cc pad on top of it which did help some. I haven't used my xtherm yet but look forward to trying it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
11-08-2015, 22:05
You could do a home haircut on the X-Therm Large to make it a bit lighter, I am 5 ft. 3 in. and cut more than a foot off mine. Google for video instructions. I have used it in summer also and tested it down to 25 degrees. For winter I would add a closed cell foam, Walmart has a wider one with bumps on one side for cheap if the X-Therm is not enough.

I don't have the nerve to cut down my large xlite or xtherm....I'm 5'11" @ 210lbs. That's over $400 worth of pads!!! I'll spend a few more minutes a day in the gym and carry those few oz.....[emoji3]

bigcranky
11-09-2015, 07:43
Most folks who use two pads use an inflatable and a closed cell foam together. I wouldn't put two 3-inch thick inflatables on top of one another, would have a hard time staying together.

My wife, who is cold all the time, finds the Xtherm warm enough to be her only pad in cold weather. Well, below freezing anyway, which is cold enough for her. :)

I tried a short Neoair and didn't like it, too much drop off where my legs went off the pad. I don't mind the drop on a thinner pad, but it was less comfortable with the Neoair. I got a regular size which is 11 oz and feels great.

MadAussieInLondon
11-10-2015, 13:15
summer or winter, the blue foam mat kicks wins hands down!

swisscross
11-10-2015, 16:50
I use the original neoair and I am comfortable down to just above freezing.
The newer X-lites are supposed to be warmer than the originals.
Below that I was using my old MSR ridge rest with the neoair.
I have just ordered a Gossamer Gear 1/8" pad to test and hopefully replace the ridge rest. Lighter and smaller.
Don't like the idea of having only an air pad in the winter. If it fails to hold air you have to have something to insulate yourself.

Malto
11-10-2015, 17:49
I use short xlite in warm and regular xtherm in cold. Have never wanted an additional pad with the xtherm. While this combo is pricey, these will last me quite a while.

saltysack
11-10-2015, 22:17
I use short xlite in warm and regular xtherm in cold. Have never wanted an additional pad with the xtherm. While this combo is pricey, these will last me quite a while.

If I'm remembering correctly your a big guy....you fit on a regular width pad? I get the torso length but width is were I couldn't get used to reg size. I'm only 5'11" 210lbs and am too wide for reg but I'm a stomach sleeper and tend to move a lot.