PDA

View Full Version : 'Stolen' Trekking poles from gravel springs hut

Dholmblad
11-09-2015, 09:21
Did a weekend in the Shenandoah and stayed one night at gravel springs hut. Was surprised that a few groups trickled in. In the morning 2 groups of 2 had left before I awoke. And as I went to get ready to leave I realized that my red rei trekking poles were not where I had left them. I cannot tell for sure if this was something done maliciously or by accident by someone who thought they had been hiking with poles that weekend but were really not. It really has bothered my since because I am fairly trusting hikers, especially those that I spend a decent amount of time with at a shelter. And now I can no longer do this. The community which I have enjoyed on the trail feels different to me. Anyways, I posted this hoping that someone mistakenly took them and they might maybe see this...

JohnHuth
11-09-2015, 09:31
How does the community feel different to you?

I will attest that I almost accidentally took someone's poles. I was at a busy shelter, and put my poles next to another person's, and they looked so similar that when I went to get mine, I almost grabbed theirs, then stopped, and asked around - it took some time to sort it out, but ultimately I did get my poles.

Gambit McCrae
11-09-2015, 09:42
If there was a set of poles there when everyone left, I would say it was an accident. If no extra poles, stolen

Dholmblad
11-09-2015, 09:54
There was no extra set. I know the second group of two to leave was a couple who both hiked in with poles. The other two guys who left fairly early maybe one of them had poles. But the two guys who left first had been at the shelter all day while another hikers stuff was there while he was doing a day hike, so I dont know what to make of it..

Dholmblad
11-09-2015, 09:57
How does the community feel different to you?

I will attest that I almost accidentally took someone's poles. I was at a busy shelter, and put my poles next to another person's, and they looked so similar that when I went to get mine, I almost grabbed theirs, then stopped, and asked around - it took some time to sort it out, but ultimately I did get my poles.

It feels different because its possible they did steal them. If it was an accident I would probably have them back in my hands. Both groups knew where I was hiking to.

tiptoe
11-09-2015, 11:11
I'm surprised that poles don't go missing at shelters more often. I too have red REI trekking poles, bought on sale a long time ago. Now the paint is pretty chipped, and they are so short that they are unlikely to be taken, either accidentally or on purpose. When something does disappear, it certainly affects one's trust in the hiker community. I hope you get them back, Dholmblad.

Gambit McCrae
11-09-2015, 11:26
It feels different because its possible they did steal them. If it was an accident I would probably have them back in my hands. Both groups knew where I was hiking to.

I know we all like to think the best of people and situations on the trail but when it really comes down to it, they are strangers. The only thing most have in common are sharing a dirt path thru the woods. And the whole "accidentally" took my poles, I'm sorry but I have never accidentally picked up someone else's stuff, I carry those poles for hundreds of miles every year, and 2 things always happen, I remember them, and they always feel like mine. If they were takin it was probably spontaneous and they thought it would be cute.

atmilkman
11-09-2015, 11:26
Maybe a raccoon dragged them off into the woods to chew on the salty grips. Yeah right! You got NEAATly ripped by the New Entitled Authority of the Appalachian Trail. It's a new group that has formed. They call themselves neat for short.

Dholmblad
11-09-2015, 11:38
I know we all like to think the best of people and situations on the trail but when it really comes down to it, they are strangers. The only thing most have in common are sharing a dirt path thru the woods. And the whole "accidentally" took my poles, I'm sorry but I have never accidentally picked up someone else's stuff, I carry those poles for hundreds of miles every year, and 2 things always happen, I remember them, and they always feel like mine. If they were takin it was probably spontaneous and they thought it would be cute.

Yeah, like I said at this point I believe that they were stolen. I know the trail names of the couple who left second, the other two guys I dont remember their names. But one of them told me the company he worked for and his first name, so Im not sure why he would take something from me....

saltysack
11-09-2015, 11:55
Another reason to stay out of the turd boxes!!! My poles hold up my shelter so it would be tough to steal!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ocourse
11-09-2015, 12:41
The reality is that hikers aren't more honest or more dishonest than any other group. Cops sometimes are dishonest, as are nurses, mechanics, and mayors, etc. You can't assume trust in someone you meet once. Trust is reserved for someone you actually know well - and then it usually works out. Most people lock their cars and houses, and don't leave tools unlocked and out in sight. On the trail, you can't watch all gear, all the time, and things can get stolen. Don't lose heart though. Lots of people are honest and will look out for another's property when they can.

Offshore
11-09-2015, 12:44
A thief on the trail is still a thief. Keep an open mind about other hikers, but let them earn your trust.

cneill13
11-09-2015, 15:19
Which is why I mark my hiking poles with random tape and stickers. To make them too "ugly" to steal or to be picked up by accident.

The only time I have ever had anything stolen from me while hiking was at Whitley Gap Shelter on the Georgia AT. Someone in a boy scout troop pocketed my knife that I had left out while whittling. I told everyone within earshot for the person who stole my knife to be careful as it can be quite tricky to close.

Sandy of PA
11-09-2015, 22:20
I have my name on every piece of gear I carry. I clean the mud off my poles and put them beside my mat in shelters, never know when you might need them to fend off unfriendly animals or humans.

MuddyWaters
11-09-2015, 22:49
On the trail, you can't watch all gear, all the time, and things can get stolen.

Yes you can.
If someone isnt diligent, and leaves gear unnatended, thats a personal choice.

saltysack
11-10-2015, 10:43
Yes you can.
If someone isnt diligent, and leaves gear unnatended, thats a personal choice.

Maybe that's s sign your carrying to much crap!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squeezebox
11-10-2015, 11:28
I have my name on every piece of gear I carry. I clean the mud off my poles and put them beside my mat in shelters, never know when you might need them to fend off unfriendly animals or humans.

Sandy isn't the issue with humans are the ones that want to be too friendly? maybe the animals too? Wanna have dinner 1st?

squeezebox
11-10-2015, 12:26
Yes mark your stuff. Trail name, real name, address, phone #, friend's phone #, email, Nobo or Sobo, clear taped to your poles, and anything else you can mark. Clip your poles to your pack or something else I even marked my socks and underwear summer camp style. Nobody tried to steal my underwear. Really !!!

Hangfire
11-10-2015, 15:47
I always felt that theft was so low among hikers because no one wanted to carry any more weight than they started with. That being said trekking poles would be one of those exceptions as I found out on the Camino in 13, you had to watch those things closely. Last year on the whole of the trail I only heard of one pair being stolen and that was from in front of a grocery store in Lincoln NH, the police were pretty certain it was a local that did it.
I guess that's a good reason to be the first one up and at em in the morning.

PAFranklin
11-10-2015, 15:50
Yes mark your stuff. Trail name, real name, address, phone #, friend's phone #, email, Nobo or Sobo, clear taped to your poles, and anything else you can mark. Clip your poles to your pack or something else I even marked my socks and underwear summer camp style. Nobody tried to steal my underwear. Really !!!

Not advice I would give to my daughter hiking the trail. Put your trail name on it. Maybe paint a bight band so you can ID at a distance. At that point if someone wants to steal it that's the way it goes.

pjsong
11-11-2015, 11:44
Unfortunate situation, but I would hope a single (possibly malicious) incident wouldn't color your impressions of the trail too negatively.

rickb
11-11-2015, 13:15
The reality is that hikers aren't more honest or more dishonest than any other group.

I sincerely think they are more honest than most -- atleast around here.

Dholmblad
11-11-2015, 16:34
I sincerely think they are more honest than most -- atleast around here.

Thats always the impression that I always got. I once lost my headlamp while hiking in virginia. And another hiker let me borrow theirs because I wanted to do Damascus dash. I then left their lamp at Mt Rogers for them to pick up.

scrabbler
11-11-2015, 21:11
Could also have been a case of Larry thinking Moe left behind his poles and "I'll catch up with him tonight, boy wont he be glad I picked up his forgotten poles for him!". By the way, "where" did you leave these poles - you were kind of vague about that?

squeezebox
11-11-2015, 22:05
Not advice I would give to my daughter hiking the trail. Put your trail name on it. Maybe paint a bight band so you can ID at a distance. At that point if someone wants to steal it that's the way it goes.

Fair enough. You're right. I did not think it through enough. I have blue and yellow tape on mine.

Dholmblad
11-14-2015, 15:11
Could also have been a case of Larry thinking Moe left behind his poles and "I'll catch up with him tonight, boy wont he be glad I picked up his forgotten poles for him!". By the way, "where" did you leave these poles - you were kind of vague about that?

They were propped up in the entrance of the shelter pretty much next to where I was laying down.

Frye
11-21-2015, 08:02
It's very possible that one person left with the wrong poles and their buddy picked em up. It's not quite a theory totally without blame (As the poles possibly could still be returned) but it's better than theft. I know of a few times this year I hauled someones poles back to em.

Let's not just assume theft. I doubt it's the most likely culprit.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Traveler
11-21-2015, 08:17
Call it, "Creative Acquisition"

squeezebox
11-21-2015, 21:15
I painted the top of one grip red finger nail polish the other blue. The straps are different so I know right from left. I also know they are my poles.

Different Socks
11-23-2015, 16:20
If other hikers had no poles, and the others did, AND the others saw that all the poles were there in the in the beginning and there was one pair left when everyone else left, then my belief is your poles were absconded.

Frye
11-24-2015, 09:03
That's silly. Not everyone (Myself included) is paying attention to whose carrying poles or how many poles were there to begin with. If I see a friend's gear though, I'm bringing it to them. It doesn't mean anyone got their stuff jacked, it just means someone made a mistake.

Mix ups and mistakes are more common than theft. Theft is of course a possibility, but it's absurd to assume theft or even a high probability of a theft.

Traveler
11-24-2015, 16:54
That's silly. Not everyone (Myself included) is paying attention to whose carrying poles or how many poles were there to begin with. If I see a friend's gear though, I'm bringing it to them. It doesn't mean anyone got their stuff jacked, it just means someone made a mistake.

Mix ups and mistakes are more common than theft. Theft is of course a possibility, but it's absurd to assume theft or even a high probability of a theft.

When you take gear to your friend and they say its not theirs, do you return it? If not, that would be the same thing as theft, albeit with different motivation.

Sometimes things just are what they are, regardless of how it occurred.

Frye
11-25-2015, 00:55
When you take gear to your friend and they say its not theirs, do you return it? If not, that would be the same thing as theft, albeit with different motivation.

Sometimes things just are what they are, regardless of how it occurred.
No, that's still not theft.

This fellows poles may have been stolen, but probably weren't. Focusing on the likely answers is typically more productive.

TexasBob
11-25-2015, 17:51
No, that's still not theft.

This fellows poles may have been stolen, but probably weren't. Focusing on the likely answers is typically more productive.

Somebody stole them that is the most likely answer.

cmoulder
11-25-2015, 19:34
Somebody stole them that is the most likely answer.

However the current possessor of the poles got them (even if it wasn't outright theft), by now he must surely realize they are not his, nor any of his buddies', and he is either too lazy or doesn't know how to go about finding the rightful owner, or he decided to keep them. Who these days doesn't know how to google and would not have come upon a "hit" on WB?

So it seems likely that it has evolved into a theft. Either way, it surely feels like theft to the victim.

But there are some viable alternatives. Perhaps the person who realized that they weren't his left them at a trail head and somebody else stole them, as one example.

Frye
11-26-2015, 00:31
Interesting stuff. Any leads on who the trail head culprit may have been?

It really doesn't matter. I just think assuming theft as being the likely cause to be jumping the gun a bit.

squeezebox
11-26-2015, 02:06
I just realized I lost my tent poles.
Who's fault?
My fault!!
Buck up Bucko!!

squeezebox
11-27-2015, 13:24
If you tie an eagle fearther to each pole, We'll call you Eagle Feathers.

Traveler
11-28-2015, 07:23
I just realized I lost my tent poles.
Who's fault?
My fault!!
Buck up Bucko!!

My car wasn't where I left it. Probably someone took it to their buddy because it looked like the one he drove.....

wornoutboots
11-28-2015, 10:29
The Shanendoahs can be a busy weekend hiker area. Unfortunately it sounds like a few thugs have taken advantage of you. Sorry this happened. When I'm out for a month or so, I can tell when the weekends are due to the flood of ppl. At this time I'm much more cautious than when camping with other lashers or thrus.